General coaching hire discussion (your random tossed out name is probably merged here)

TitanTiger

Who will be the next coach  

326 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be our next head coach?

• Gus Malzhan
    • Charlie Strong
    • Jimbo Fisher
    • Jeff Fisher
    • David Shaw
    • Bobby Petrino
    • Bob Stoops
    • Other

Can I ask a simple question to all posting? Why in the hell cant we hire somebody who has RINGS??

Pete Carroll-check

Gruden-check

Cowher-Check

Billick-Check

Clowns on here wanting Mark Hudspeth. Im sure Saban would be crapping in his pants at that hire.

No wonder we dont win are fans dont expect the best. And dont give me we cant them nonsense. Maybe AU cant but you damn sure should try exhausting all resources to do so. Thats why Jacobs needs to go he will have us hire the OL line coach at Buffalo or some nonsense.

He makes some good points! Get out the check-book Bobby!!

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just don't get wanting to hire Malzahn. Saban will eat him for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Oh, and dessert.

Like he did at home in 2010 with a 24 point lead?

Gus did pretty good against Saban in 2009 without a QB as well!

Like I posted some where else, but it makes sense here:

Chiz as a Head Coach with Gus = 30-10

Chiz as a Head Coach without Gus = 6-26 Yes, that is 6 wins in three years without Gus; pretty telling!

I really believe more and more that 2010 was Gus’s show! Without Gus, even with Cam, we don’t win it, plain and simple!

I just don't get wanting to hire Malzahn. Saban will eat him for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Oh, and dessert.

Like he did at home in 2010 with a 24 point lead?

Gus did pretty good against Saban in 2009 without a QB as well!

Without a QB in 2009? You're way off base with that one. Chris Todd broke a few Auburn records during his 2009 campaign. I don't think your comment is fair at all.

How quickly we forget how good Chris Todd actually was that season.

In 2009 and 2010, Gus had his offense and he did quite well against Alabama. If you have been paying any attention, then you know that last year and this year featured an offense that was not the creation from Gus. He was having Chizik constantly interfere with his scheme and method to scoring points. I'm sick of seeing that the spread can't work in the SEC. It's working pretty well for TAMU. It worked for us and it worked for Florida. It's one theory for winning. It's not the end all be all, but it's not a complete failure in the SEC either. By the way, Gus is not necessarily a spread coach either. I just want to make that clear.

Here's my perception:

The roster we have and the recruits we are going after would be a Gus Malzahn DREAM TEAM.

Wallace is an accurate, leader at QB with the ability to run past the defense. Quan Bray taking OMAC's place. Ricardo Louis with the ability to run the wildcat. Tre Mason and Blakey on the field at the same time. TE's Uzomah and Fulse are a mismatch for any DB or LB and can be devastating downfield blockers. Sammy Coates and others at WR; the talent is endless on O and the only person, the only coach out there who could utilize every single one of them is Malzahn. I am confident that we would have the most prolific Auburn offenses OF ALL TIME with Malzahn at the helm. He'd be like a spurrier; be the HC but be more involved in the offense and even call the plays. Turn the defense completely over to the meanest SOB with a proven record (like Tracy Rocker, etc...). WHen HS kids see the name Malzahn, they immediately think of the ball going to numerous people. He knows the area, is very football savvy (watch him talk about breaking down Kirby Smart and Bama's D on ESPN), can recruit simply on his style of offense and was the main reason we have a NC (HE wanted and pushed for CAM when Chizik didn't want him, and his offense produced record breaking seasons for CAM, Dyer, etc...). His offenses have broken records everywhere he has been and we are ripe with spread talent. Malzahn can defeat LSU, Bama, etc... he is what Saban and the bama nation fear, but more importantly, he is the sole person who can come in and make the most immediate impact. WHY? Our players were all recruited to fit his system and are all already here. He is getting HC experience as of now which is more than you could say when OKL hired Bob Stoops. He isn't polarizing. He is a genius. He is the perfect piece to our current puzzle. He is so good he can take mediocre talented QBs (Mitch Mustaine) and set records with them.

Give him the $ to get here, get out of his way, and get him a lifetime supply of big league chew.

Bring in Rocker and give him complete control of the defense; who to hire, what to run, etc.... Let each concentrate on their half. Those 2 figures would strike fear into the hearts of anyone who wants to go up against us. An offense that averages 600 + yards and 60 + points a game and a defense full of Nick Fairleys. We would be a juggernaut on both sides of the ball.

Bring them to us, BOT, and release thine fury upon thy earth.

I tend to think many top college coaches would leave for Auburn from established, non-SEC head coaching jobs where they've either achieved all they probably will w/ their current program or their welcome is arguably stale with a fanbase. IMHO it's very VERY important they know southern football though. Timing would be bad for a project hire this time (i.e. small college head coach not used to big time pressures or college/NFL coordinators appearing ready for the top job):

Bob Stoops or Mike Gundy

(Charlie Strong, Dabo Swinney, Jimbo Fisher, and Al Golden are intriguing to consider).

I'm not in the camp of "fire Chizik" yet, just posting these for discussion.

I agree. While these coaches have the potential to be sucessful (or have already been sucessful in a diffierent conference), it is not what the SEC can offer now. Many people who watch college football don't feel you can call yourself a championship contender unless you can beat a quality SEC opponent. Look at Oregon. They look good every year, until they get beat by a quality SEC opponent (Auburn, LSU, etc). And TBH anyone competing for a championship this year is looking up at UAT, or LSU or UAT last year, Auburn the year before that.

Auburn is a great job, at a wonderful university with a rabid fan base and a storied football tradition. I personally could see the upside to someone like Jimbo Fisher leaving FSU for Auburn. You can't duplicate the type of national attention and level of competition in the SEC right now.

Here's my perception:

The roster we have and the recruits we are going after would be a Gus Malzahn DREAM TEAM.

Wallace is an accurate, leader at QB with the ability to run past the defense. Quan Bray taking OMAC's place. Ricardo Louis with the ability to run the wildcat. Tre Mason and Blakey on the field at the same time. TE's Uzomah and Fulse are a mismatch for any DB or LB and can be devastating downfield blockers. Sammy Coates and others at WR; the talent is endless on O and the only person, the only coach out there who could utilize every single one of them is Malzahn. I am confident that we would have the most prolific Auburn offenses OF ALL TIME with Malzahn at the helm. He'd be like a spurrier; be the HC but be more involved in the offense and even call the plays. Turn the defense completely over to the meanest SOB with a proven record (like Tracy Rocker, etc...). WHen HS kids see the name Malzahn, they immediately think of the ball going to numerous people. He knows the area, is very football savvy (watch him talk about breaking down Kirby Smart and Bama's D on ESPN), can recruit simply on his style of offense and was the main reason we have a NC (HE wanted and pushed for CAM when Chizik didn't want him, and his offense produced record breaking seasons for CAM, Dyer, etc...). His offenses have broken records everywhere he has been and we are ripe with spread talent. Malzahn can defeat LSU, Bama, etc... he is what Saban and the bama nation fear, but more importantly, he is the sole person who can come in and make the most immediate impact. WHY? Our players were all recruited to fit his system and are all already here. He is getting HC experience as of now which is more than you could say when OKL hired Bob Stoops. He isn't polarizing. He is a genius. He is the perfect piece to our current puzzle. He is so good he can take mediocre talented QBs (Mitch Mustaine) and set records with them.

Give him the $ to get here, get out of his way, and get him a lifetime supply of big league chew.

Bring in Rocker and give him complete control of the defense; who to hire, what to run, etc.... Let each concentrate on their half. Those 2 figures would strike fear into the hearts of anyone who wants to go up against us. An offense that averages 600 + yards and 60 + points a game and a defense full of Nick Fairleys. We would be a juggernaut on both sides of the ball.

Amen Brother! Preach on!

Here's my perception:

Amen Brother! Preach on!

I could support that...

Malzahn and Chizik didn't want him. Curtis Luper went on a visit to Blinn and then returned trying to convince Malzahn to recruit him.

Malzan HC, Luper OC and head of recruiting operations.

oh, and wrights_mill_road for athletic director.

If we offered enough, maybe Tracy Rocker would consider coming back and be our DC.

Rocker doesn't want to deal with recruiting. He's in the NFL which was his dream. He's not coming back.

If we offered enough, maybe Tracy Rocker would consider coming back and be our DC.

Rocker doesn't want to deal with recruiting. He's in the NFL which was his dream. He's not coming back.

Not sure if that's true. He might come back for a DC slot. Could be a while before he gets that chance in the pros. But are we even sure he'd make a good DC?

Anyone mention James Franklin. I think Vandy raised his salary last year significantly and gave "life time contract". He has done a good job with that program. They are also supposed to improve facilities.

Malzahn and Chizik didn't want him. Curtis Luper went on a visit to Blinn and then returned trying to convince Malzahn to recruit him.

Chiz didn't want him, not Gus. It was Luper that "discovered Cam" so to speak.

KF is a different QB if Gus is coaching him. Again:

Chiz as a Head Coach with Gus = 30-10

Chiz as a Head Coach without Gus = 6-26 Yes, that is 6 wins in three years without Gus; pretty telling!

Gus has a National Title....these others?

And how do you know this?

Have you watched the Iron Bowl the past 3 years? His offense was exposed and absolutely shut down, even with Cam.

Yes I have. They shut us down 1 time out of 3 when Auburn had no QB and Gus never was able to run his entire offense under Chizik.

Chip Kelley. I don't know if we could lure him away from Oregon. But if we could sell him on the fact that Oregon doesn't get the exposure or respect that he would in the SEC, I would like the hire. He would have a chance to prove himself and his offense in the best conference in the country, so maybe that would intrigue him. If Oregon got left out of the National Championship would also help. He would bring excitement to the program, and since we've recruited for the spread for the past 3-4 years, he could get us back on the map rather quickly. I know it would probably never happen but that's who'd I want and I'd be excited about. Assuming Chip Kelly doesn't wanna leave Oregon though, which he probably doesn't, we need to go after someone like him. Experience, Success, Winner, Leader, Big-name, Recognition. When Alabama and Ohio St. needed coaches they went out and hired Nick Saban and Urban Meyer. We bring in just as much revenue as almost anyone in the country. If I'm not mistaken we are in the top 5-10. We should be able to hire someone big, without having to settle for a mid-level head coach or unproven coordinator. We finally got a taste of a championship for the first time in a while and we can all agree we want more. Bama isn't going anywhere and they are our competition. Winning 8-9 games a year and going to the Chick-fil-A or Capital One Bowl should not be our ceiling. That should be our floor.

Here's my perception:

Sounds like a good plan. Perhaps we need to get you on that board doing the hiring.

Archived