General coaching hire discussion (your random tossed out name is probably merged here)

TitanTiger

Who will be the next coach  

326 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be our next head coach?

• Gus Malzhan
    • Charlie Strong
    • Jimbo Fisher
    • Jeff Fisher
    • David Shaw
    • Bobby Petrino
    • Bob Stoops
    • Other

I haven't seen this name at all. I know he's unproven as a head coach and a young guy, but exciting none the less. Chad Morris from Clemson. We have the players for his offense. I think recruits would love the idea of running an offense like Clemson's. Which if I'm not mistaken is very similar to Gus Malzahn's O.

1..2..3...go

He is actually a Gus Malzhan protege. I am not sure he doesn't call a better game than Gus. But then we don't know how bad Chiz dorked with the Gus offense at AU.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't seen this name at all. I know he's unproven as a head coach and a young guy, but exciting none the less. Chad Morris from Clemson. We have the players for his offense. I think recruits would love the idea of running an offense like Clemson's. Which if I'm not mistaken is very similar to Gus Malzahn's O.

1..2..3...go

He is actually a Gus Malzhan protege. I am not sure he doesn't call a better game than Gus. But then we don't know how bad Chiz dorked with the Gus offense at AU.

I could almost guarantee that Gus's O had a muzzle on it. He never ran the number of plays he wanted to run, and to me that say someone was "dorking" with it, or at least being told to "dork" with it.

All the more reason the house needs to be cleaned.

Oh and for the geniuses saying Patterson he aint coming unless Jackson and Jacobs are GONE.

I heard Muschamp would never come as long as Jacobs is in charge when his name was being floated prior to Chizik.

Was the sarcastic name calling really necessary? Did you talk to Patterson and he tell you that? Or do you claim to have some great inside source?

Compliance department. Patterson walked out of the interview.

Unless something drastic changes between now and tomorrow evening, either Jimbo Fisher or Gus Malzahn will be our next HC. Not my choice, we need a coach with a proven record as a HC. Oh well. It is what it is.

Unless something drastic changes between now and tomorrow evening, either Jimbo Fisher or Gus Malzahn will be our next HC. Not my choice, we need a coach with a proven record as a HC. Oh well. It is what it is.

I hope you have no idea what you are talking about.

I bet most safety coaches wish they could get paid 750k to be flunky pretend-DCs.

So you're saying he could be the bag man?

Shhh don't tell anyone.

Would love to have Gus! He was obviously the coach in 2010, so why not?

Here we go with the inferior talent, you guys act like he had a JV roster, Ryan Mallet, Tyler Wilson, Knile Davis and countless receivers those guys were just as good as any RB/Qb/Wr in the league and could have played at an SEC school - Petrino had SEC level talent across the board on offense, defensively they were not as stout but after u get pass UA, UF, UGA, and LSU there is a drop off as it relates to all league schools..personally I think he could have addressed it if he wanted (mainly because he seems very detailed) but he is an offensive guy 100% and does not give as much attention to detail to the defensive side of the ball, both in recruiting and scheme. Now go ahead and call me stupid or whatever for having a different view...

As was mentioned earlier, no one said he never signed a four-star. But while he was signing a few here and there (as was Arkansas' pattern over the years), Alabama, LSU and Auburn and others in the league were loading up on them. The talent disparity was quite evident across the board.

While I'm at it, allow me to educate you:

3) Watch the name-calling. Grow up and act like adults. Now, we're not going to hammer every time a name gets tossed out, but if threads get derailed by the personal bickering or if you get into a groove of insulting rather than discussing things, we'll step in and tell you knock it off.

In other words, a name tossed out there or there doesn't break the rules.

Now, let's see if we can find a subject you know something about since coaches and reading apparently don't fit the bill. Knitting perhaps?

Classless. Truly classless. I thought you were supposed to be a mod, but I obviously was mistaken.

Thanks for reminding me why I miss AE so much.

You get the response you earn.

Back at ya. Cyberpunk. You and Petr

While I'm at it, allow me to educate you:

3) Watch the name-calling. Grow up and act like adults. Now, we're not going to hammer every time a name gets tossed out, but if threads get derailed by the personal bickering or if you get into a groove of insulting rather than discussing things, we'll step in and tell you knock it off.

In other words, a name tossed out there or there doesn't break the rules.

Now, let's see if we can find a subject you know something about since coaches and reading apparently don't fit the bill. Knitting perhaps?

Classless. Truly classless. I thought you were supposed to be a mod, but I obviously was mistaken.

Thanks for reminding me why I miss AE so much.

You get the response you earn.

Back at ya. Cyber Punk!!!

You crossed the threshold Mr. Moderator and we all know it...

You're a whiner.

If we offered enough, maybe Tracy Rocker would consider coming back and be our DC.

Rocker doesn't want to deal with recruiting. He's in the NFL which was his dream. He's not coming back.

Not sure if that's true. He might come back for a DC slot. Could be a while before he gets that chance in the pros. But are we even sure he'd make a good DC?

Of course no one knows whether or not he would make a good DC but times like this make everyone think who they want would be great! The grass is always greener... you know.

He was a great D-Line coach IMO, but DC is a different game altogether. I personally think Chizik is a great Coordinator but not a good head coach. I think that the things that go along with you being the face of the university brings a much different set of challenges to the table and some people do a good job of handling it and some don't.

Who I don't like:

Kirby Smart - Holds DC title under Saban in name only. Really just coaches Safeties. Is 36 years old. Has never been a real coordinator because Saban is the true DC. So never a HC, never a coordinator.

James Franklin - He is recruiting well for Vandy. But his offensive numbers are below what you expect. Play calling has been very suspect. 6 games into the year Vandy was dead last in NCAA in 3rd down conversion %.

Art Briles - Great offense when they had RG3. Nothing special in the wins and losses column without him. 3 losing seasons out of 5 at Baylor including this season.

Willie Taggart - Young (36?) coach with a 14-17 record. Need to see a lot more out of him before I would consider him. Need to see him coach his own recruits.

Jimbo Fisher - Some like him because he has AU connections. I see a coach whose best completed season was 10-4. This season his team is failing to meet expectations again with a bad loss to NC State.

Who I like:

Garry Patterson - TCU won 10 games or more 8 times out of 11 seasons. This guy is a winner.

Bobby Petrino - One of the best offensive minds in football. Resurrected Louisville and dominated the Big East. Two 10 win seasons out of 4 years at Arkansas. Arkansas. Success on the field would lead to strong recruiting.

Butch Jones - In a direct showdown with Louisville, the Cinci offense got the best of the Charlie Strong defense. They lost in OT but they scored 30 in regulation.

Charlie Strong - I'm luke warm on him to be honest. I think AU would have consistent top 20 - 25 ranked defenses under Strong. But he would be very dependent on having a top offensive coordinator to take up the slack. But I think he would bring in a lot of talent. A step above Tubs but not where I want AU to be.

Who I want to know more about:

John Chavis - One of the best defensive minds in football. Is he HC material?

Larry Fedora - Impressive at Southern Miss. UNC is off to a wacky season but Fedora inherited a lot of issues. Is he the mastermind of that offense or is it OC Blake Anderson?

I see your point on Strong and agree he would have to have very good OCs at AU to get us to the elite. He reminds me of an Afro-Am. Dye.

Kirby calls the defense on gamedays. Saban is very involved with the game plan and obviously has input at key times during a game. But they aren't paying Smart $750k because he takes orders well.

I am glad most people on this board are not on the search committee. Art Briles, Larry Fedora, Butch Jones, Petrino, James Franklin...

God I hope the Auburn Undercover rumors are true about Schiano I would take him over all the clowns the majority of this board has mentioned.

GET AN NFL GUY!

I think that with the type of young Qb's we have in Wallace and with Jeremy Johnson coming in, it just makes sense that Gus Malzahn could make some magic happen with the personnel we have got.

Who I don't like:

Kirby Smart - Holds DC title under Saban in name only. Really just coaches Safeties. Is 36 years old. Has never been a real coordinator because Saban is the true DC. So never a HC, never a coordinator.

James Franklin - He is recruiting well for Vandy. But his offensive numbers are below what you expect. Play calling has been very suspect. 6 games into the year Vandy was dead last in NCAA in 3rd down conversion %.

Art Briles - Great offense when they had RG3. Nothing special in the wins and losses column without him. 3 losing seasons out of 5 at Baylor including this season.

Willie Taggart - Young (36?) coach with a 14-17 record. Need to see a lot more out of him before I would consider him. Need to see him coach his own recruits.

Jimbo Fisher - Some like him because he has AU connections. I see a coach whose best completed season was 10-4. This season his team is failing to meet expectations again with a bad loss to NC State.

Who I like:

Garry Patterson - TCU won 10 games or more 8 times out of 11 seasons. This guy is a winner.

Bobby Petrino - One of the best offensive minds in football. Resurrected Louisville and dominated the Big East. Two 10 win seasons out of 4 years at Arkansas. Arkansas. Success on the field would lead to strong recruiting.

Butch Jones - In a direct showdown with Louisville, the Cinci offense got the best of the Charlie Strong defense. They lost in OT but they scored 30 in regulation.

Charlie Strong - I'm luke warm on him to be honest. I think AU would have consistent top 20 - 25 ranked defenses under Strong. But he would be very dependent on having a top offensive coordinator to take up the slack. But I think he would bring in a lot of talent. A step above Tubs but not where I want AU to be.

Who I want to know more about:

John Chavis - One of the best defensive minds in football. Is he HC material?

Larry Fedora - Impressive at Southern Miss. UNC is off to a wacky season but Fedora inherited a lot of issues. Is he the mastermind of that offense or is it OC Blake Anderson?

I see your point on Strong and agree he would have to have very good OCs at AU to get us to the elite. He reminds me of an Afro-Am. Dye.

Kirby calls the defense on gamedays. Saban is very involved with the game plan and obviously has input at key times during a game. But they aren't paying Smart $750k because he takes orders well.

That maybe,but I want someone with a modicum of HC experience and not involved with a program I know cheats in recruiting. bama may get a way with it for a while, but we would be nailed swiftly & harshly.

Oh and for the geniuses saying Patterson he aint coming unless Jackson and Jacobs are GONE.

I heard Muschamp would never come as long as Jacobs is in charge when his name was being floated prior to Chizik.

That is true with most of the names being floated in this thread. By definition, a top coach is not going to go to a program where a dysfunctional Athletic Dept will try to tell him how to run his program. Gouge needs to do something about that now so we can get about the business of getting a top HC.

I'm not saying hire Smart by the way. I've made it clear that you vet Petrino first and only if you don't think he checks out to your liking do you move on from there.

I am glad most people on this board are not on the search committee. Art Briles, Larry Fedora, Butch Jones, Petrino, James Franklin...

God I hope the Auburn Undercover rumors are true about Schiano I would take him over all the clowns the majority of this board has mentioned.

GET AN NFL GUY!

Schiano???? I havn't heard that one. He is not doing too bad in the NFL right now so I would be surprised if he came right back to college, unless he just doesnt like it.

Would love to have Gus! He was obviously the coach in 2010, so why not?

I think there are some positives with him, I guess. We have recruited for his O for four years. He just has not had enough experience as a HC IMO.

Archived