What I don't understand about you guys wanting Petrino...

BamaGrad03

Amazing void of morals with his affair aside, here's what I can't wrap my head around:

You guys have long enjoyed moral superiority over Bama because we hired Saban. Your main ammunition in your blasting Saban's character, aside from him being harsh on the media, is how he handled leaving Miami.

So how then, could you support Petrino, after the way he handled his Falcons gig?

For all you people who have said for 5 years you'd NEVER want to compromise integrity for wins, therefore would NEVER want a guy like Saban - how are you now in support of someone who's got a proven track record of being exponentially worse in terms of morals and ethics than the very many you demonize in Saban?

I'm not trolling either, this is an honest question. I just don't see it. You can say "people change." But I don't think that's a fair excuse either. Petrino's spots aren't changing. He's had character issues at every coaching stop along the way.

I'll add that I think there's a large contingent of fans, Auburn included, who have always maintained that the primary job of the head coach should be to get wins. He doesn't have to be likable, you don't have to want to have a beer with him, he's a coach first and foremost.

Those people aren't the ones I'm directing my initial question. If you've maintained that position, then you aren't having to go back on previous statements to support Petrino.

Don't even attempt to insinuate that we're ALL in support of a potential Petrino hire. Furthermore (and this hurts), I agree with your question.

Wins and ethics are not mutually exclusive. We can, and should, strive for both!

Don't even attempt to insinuate that we're ALL in support of a potential Petrino hire. Furthermore (and this hurts), I agree with your question.

Wins and ethics are not mutually exclusive. We can, and should, strive for both!

Oh I wasn't suggesting that everyone supports the hire. Sorry if it came off that way.

If you are looking for a coach to win football games Saban was a smart hire. Petrino would also be a smart hire. That should make it easy to understand why majority of AU folks want Bobby if Patterson or other elite coaches turn us down. He is not my ultimate dream hire but I don't see us taking the coach from the 49er's. Seahawks, Rams, or even TCU or BSU.

I fall into the second group. I'm not the type to pretend Shug was better at his job than Bear. A football coach is paid to win games. Not raise kids, preach on sundays or do community sevice.

Amazing void of morals with his affair aside, here's what I can't wrap my head around:

You guys have long enjoyed moral superiority over Bama because we hired Saban. Your main ammunition in your blasting Saban's character, aside from him being harsh on the media, is how he handled leaving Miami.

So how then, could you support Petrino, after the way he handled his Falcons gig?

For all you people who have said for 5 years you'd NEVER want to compromise integrity for wins, therefore would NEVER want a guy like Saban - how are you now in support of someone who's got a proven track record of being exponentially worse in terms of morals and ethics than the very many you demonize in Saban?

I'm not trolling either, this is an honest question. I just don't see it. You can say "people change." But I don't think that's a fair excuse either. Petrino's spots aren't changing. He's had character issues at every coaching stop along the way.

Petrino has his flaws, but he's nowhere in Saban's league as a jerk,creep and liar. But,of course, Saban was a perfect fit for Bama. Auburn didn't hire Petrino. So, Auburn reconfirmed its moral superiority. Bama still reeks.

Petrino has his flaws, but he's nowhere in Saban's league as a jerk,creep and liar. But,of course, Saban was a perfect fit for Bama. Auburn didn't hire Petrino. So, Auburn reconfirmed its moral superiority. Bama still reeks.

Amen to that, BP is no where near the character flaws of one nick saban but he is a close 2nd!!!

Not sure BG, I have a die hard Auburn fan here at work and I couldn't beleive the BS he would throw out there to justify the BP Hire. He is a winner he will turn us around in less than 2 year look what he did at UL and Arky, I would say but the Falcons... and he would just dismiss it, but he is a horrible person, dismiss it. Auburn Creed... Silence. I perosnally don't think he is a good builder of teams/coach. I think he is successful because of his O but that is about it. Looks what he did when he was at Auburn... blah blah.

So here is where I get roasted: For all you Auburn fans out there who don't like Saban because he lies and this and that. I have never seen anything to prove that is true but I have see tons of stuff where he pays back to his community, where he helps/supports and the other sports at Alabama, where he is a nice guy. I come from the north (get over it) and you can be forceful and people don't think twice about it doesn't make you a bad person however it does make you passionate and just because you have passion you shouldn't be seen as a tyrannt loser with no heart and everything I see points to Saban being that. If his bar is too high go play somewhere else.

Oh and we have no room to talk the son of marine apparently doesn't know the first thing about discipline go figure, because he was a good guy well that doesn't win games, Structure, Fire, and Passion do.

I wanted Petrino because he knows how to win football games. We wouldn't be hiring someone to be Pope. As far as the "morals" thing, there's now word on the 'net that there was more to Saban going to Miami from LSU than just so he could see if he could be a pro coach; and, from a reliable source, Bear Bryant himself apparently used his hands for more than signing autographs and pouring Jack Daniels. I'm not excusing what Petrino did, and he will answer to a higher authority than any of us who post on these boards--but, apparently he and his wife are still together and working through his mess. Another thing about Saban---I look at what he did to those 2 recruits that were committed to him and Bama for months, only to have the scholarship offers pulled at nearly the last minute when he got somebody better. Yes, he offered them to come on as grey shirts, but grey shirts have to pay their way for a semester, and those kids and their families may not have been in the financial situation to have been able to do that. I think he did in fact lie to those kids and their families. When both kids refused the grey shirt offer, they were informed that their commitments would be honored. That's what I dislike about Saban.

How so?

I think Saban is pretty cut throat when it comes to winning. Meaning you as a player or coach produce or you're gone from the program. He seems to treat his employers that way too. I've not heard of anything approaching what Petrino has displayed as morals and ethics.

Saban wins where he goes (except Miami) and moves on when it fits him. He's a lot like an officer in a large corporation. He'll move on to the next company for a better deal and a new competitive challenge.

Petrino's star got bright winning at Louisville (even after participating in jet gate). He got away with leaving Atlanta, (just as Saban did skipping out on Miami), but his time at Arky was not good enough for other schools to overlook his behavior there. They cannot take a chance with him right now.

Not sure BG, I have a die hard Auburn fan here at work and I couldn't beleive the BS he would throw out there to justify the BP Hire. He is a winner he will turn us around in less than 2 year look what he did at UL and Arky, I would say but the Falcons... and he would just dismiss it, but he is a horrible person, dismiss it. Auburn Creed... Silence. I perosnally don't think he is a good builder of teams/coach. I think he is successful because of his O but that is about it. Looks what he did when he was at Auburn... blah blah.

So here is where I get roasted: For all you Auburn fans out there who don't like Saban because he lies and this and that. I have never seen anything to prove that is true but I have see tons of stuff where he pays back to his community, where he helps/supports and the other sports at Alabama, where he is a nice guy. I come from the north (get over it) and you can be forceful and people don't think twice about it doesn't make you a bad person however it does make you passionate and just because you have passion you shouldn't be seen as a tyrannt loser with no heart and everything I see points to Saban being that. If his bar is too high go play somewhere else.

Oh and we have no room to talk the son of marine apparently doesn't know the first thing about discipline go figure, because he was a good guy well that doesn't win games, Structure, Fire, and Passion do.

Anger that is out of bounds, and an all-consuming need to control everything and everyone is NOT passion. weeman has mental issues, and I'm not kidding.

I can assure you that weeman is the worst thing to happen to college football since ESPN. I am close to someone who played for him at bammer, and he has told me some of what it's like to have to deal with that tiny jackass. He has shared some really ugly stuff with a few trusted friends and family...

bammer would be buried by the NCAA if that organization had any real guts and interest in upholding it's own rules.

I'm thinking that evidently drug addicts, drug dealers and house sitters are pretty special people in turd town. They get free cars, free gas, free clothes and food,free rent(a-Trent) and all kinds of extras not offered to every other student at updyke u. It's interesting what kind of lifestyle minimum wage will buy some people if they have a son who plays for bammer. They seem to suddenly have some very good new friends willing to BOOST their standard of living once their boys sign a LOI. It just defies logic....unless you're a bammer or Mark Emmert.

saban wins because he gets a lot of booster help. Those kids don't line up to play in that dump called Tuscaloosa just because they think they will get to the NFL. They could get that chance elsewhere. It's all those illegal extras,and the fact that weeman will look the other way and ignore some serious issues if he thinks a kid can help him win. I have to laugh when I read posts about weeman and his "discipline". If people only knew.

It's a great question and one I've asked several of my AU brethren at different times. My dad graduated in the early 50's. He's no longer with us,but there is no doubt in my mind what he would say to Petrino being named his schools' coach.

Anger that is out of bounds, and an all-consuming need to control everything and everyone is NOT passion. weeman has mental issues, and I'm not kidding.

I can assure you that weeman is the worst thing to happen to college football since ESPN. I am close to someone who played for him at bammer, and he has told me some of what it's like to have to deal with that tiny jackass. He has shared some really ugly stuff with a few trusted friends and family...

bammer would be buried by the NCAA if that organization had any real guts and interest in upholding it's own rules.

I'm thinking that evidently drug addicts, drug dealers and house sitters are pretty special people in turd town. They get free cars, free gas, free clothes and food,free rent(a-Trent) and all kinds of extras not offered to every other student at updyke u. It's interesting what kind of lifestyle minimum wage will buy some people if they have a son who plays for bammer. They seem to suddenly have some very good new friends willing to BOOST their standard of living once their boys sign a LOI. It just defies logic....unless you're a bammer or Mark Emmert.

saban wins because he gets a lot of booster help. Those kids don't line up to play in that dump called Tuscaloosa just because they think they will get to the NFL. They could get that chance elsewhere. It's all those illegal extras,and the fact that weeman will look the other way and ignore some serious issues if he thinks a kid can help him win. I have to laugh when I read posts about weeman and his "discipline". If people only knew.

It would be great to believe this 'Belle,(and my brother does!) but how can you have an undisciplined team and get the results Saban gets? He at least has some way to keep discipline on the field,and as much as I would love to agree with everything you've heard,and I do believe you've heard it,I can't quite wrap my head around what is supposed to be and what I see on the field. Can you help me out a little? Maybe some more info on how he keeps the players in line and out of jail (while in t-town,anyway). I do know that a uat grad friend of mine believes all the cars,cash,and jobs stuff,and brags about it being "untouchable" as far as the ncaa. He says they don't cheat,they know how to break the rules legally. He makes me want to throw up,after I slap him.

All the proof you presented is very interesting.

It's a great question and one I've asked several of my AU brethren at different times. My dad graduated in the early 50's. He's no longer with us,but there is no doubt in my mind what he would say to Petrino being named his schools' coach.

It's not a great question. It's a repeat of a great question that has been asked and answered a few dozen times over the last couple of weeks. Let it die.

It's not a great question. It's a repeat of a great question that has been asked and answered a few dozen times over the last couple of weeks. Let it die.

Maybe you should look at who started the post. I didn't. So what's your beef? I don't believe I ever responded to you at all. I was talking to the bama guy that asked a serious question. Go away.

Archived