Petrino Discussions

TitanTiger

I think hiring Petrino would definitely get the team moving in the right direction, I just think he isn't the only option that is being considered. Meaning its possible they are looking at a bigger fish in the ocean. I just dont know who it could be. Any coach is fair game if the timing and money is right.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, all of you people who do not want Petrino have never watched a game of football. Petrino is by far the best candidate out there that is AVAILABLE!! No one comes close to him in coaching ability. Gus Malzahn? I laugh at that, it backs up my hypothesis that most of you do not know anything about coaching. Patterson? As was mentioned earlier, he is now in a real conference, and you're seeing the results of that. I hope Auburn at least interviews Petrino for the job, or that would be a huge mistake. I am very glad that none of you are on coach searching committees, because the candidates you guys want are the typical Auburn hire. Auburn needs someone who has been totally different from the past. Petrino is the only "home run" hire that is available. To all of you Petrino haters, please just tell the truth: You do not like him because of his past and his character, that is why you are so against him. Anything else is just grasping at straws to hate him...

We don't like him because he does not represent the ideals and beliefs we want from our university. He can coach no doubt about it, but can we look ourselves in the mirror and know that he is representing our university? Have we gotten to the point that winning is the only thing? His past and his character are plenty enough reason to not like him.

You folks sound so confident that we will hire Petrino when the fact is there is only one BOT member that wants him right now. The BOT also doesn't want to split the fan base. Keep in mind if Scott Etheridge becomes the new AD as I think he will Petrino wont even be mentioned.

Scott Etheridge?! Wow that would be a perfect example of friends getting friends jobs. Just like Petrino did at Arkansas and happens everywhere else all over the country every day. Another AU insider and yes man. Sad that is even being discussed.

What's wrong with hiring an Auburn man? According to reports of the day, when we were looking for a coach back in 1950 a number of people didn't want Shug Jordan because he was "an Auburn man." Shug told an Atlanta newspaper "If they think an Auburn man is incapable of doing the job they should shut the damn place down."

Think about it, Shug was right.

You folks sound so confident that we will hire Petrino when the fact is there is only one BOT member that wants him right now. The BOT also doesn't want to split the fan base. Keep in mind if Scott Etheridge becomes the new AD as I think he will Petrino wont even be mentioned.

There are more people who want Petrino among the Powers That Be than one BOT member.

Hmm not disagreeing with you but something probably has changed since I heard last...of course I always hear it last anyways. Thanks for the update Titan. Are you thinking what I am thinking on the AD position? And I think Etheridge would be a good hire because he is a no non sense person. He runs a multi million dollar company anyway.

If I were placing odds, he'd be the favorite. But I think some would like to go outside the "Auburn man" network altogether and poach a good, experienced AD from another school.

I think that would probably be the best way going outside the Auburn circle. If I remember correctly didnt he interview in 04 when Jacobs did? I think Scott would come in and clean house like nobodies business but I really dont know too much about him;

Scott Etheridge?! Wow that would be a perfect example of friends getting friends jobs. Just like Petrino did at Arkansas and happens everywhere else all over the country every day. Another AU insider and yes man. Sad that is even being discussed.

What's wrong with hiring an Auburn man? According to reports of the day, when we were looking for a coach back in 1950 a number of people didn't want Shug Jordan because he was "an Auburn man." Shug told an Atlanta newspaper "If they think an Auburn man is incapable of doing the job they should shut the damn place down."

But back then it was because they thought all the good coaches came from Notre Dame or the Big 10 or whatever. This time it's not because they don't think an Auburn man can be a good AD, but because they are leery of the wrong Auburn guy who has emotional or other loyalty ties to factions of the PTB at Auburn and won't do the necessary house cleaning.

Shug was a mediocre coach that won one SEC title in 25 years and got dominated by Alabama. I am not from that era so I guess it was okay to be mediocre as long as you were nice.

But now it is 2012 and college football is not about being nice. It is about winning and that is why coaches make millions per year to do. Running an athletic department at a major university takes a lot of knowledge. How to not only run a multimillion dollar business but also how to judge coaches and how to manage them and know the NCAA rules backwards and forward. Other than the fact he knows the good ole boys at AU how he is ready for the unique situation of running an AD when he has no experience working at any of those things?

Well, all of you people who do not want Petrino have never watched a game of football. Petrino is by far the best candidate out there that is AVAILABLE!! No one comes close to him in coaching ability. Gus Malzahn? I laugh at that, it backs up my hypothesis that most of you do not know anything about coaching. Patterson? As was mentioned earlier, he is now in a real conference, and you're seeing the results of that. I hope Auburn at least interviews Petrino for the job, or that would be a huge mistake. I am very glad that none of you are on coach searching committees, because the candidates you guys want are the typical Auburn hire. Auburn needs someone who has been totally different from the past. Petrino is the only "home run" hire that is available. To all of you Petrino haters, please just tell the truth: You do not like him because of his past and his character, that is why you are so against him. Anything else is just grasping at straws to hate him...

The feeling is mutual.

I am definetly pulling for Scott Ethridge, sounds like he wants it for sure. I am hearing he is actively trying to get the job now.

Yeah Petrino would be good, I'd like to have him, but my gut is saying we don't get him.

I do agree with hiring Auburn men. However, I don't agree with hiring Auburn men over candidates that would do the program better.

Really ...I watched a lot of football, played some too....yes his character is and should be a great concern for anyone looking to hire him. But by no means is he a coach without questions. Will he make a committment to recruiting for and building a strong defense? How hard will he recruit, relentless like Saban/Chizik/Miles? You need players to win championships, your HC has to be willing to get them across the board and not just on offense. Will his attention to detail involve all aspects of the program and not just offense? Can he grind out wins in crunch time instead of slinging the ball all over the place when all you need is power run football....look the guy can coach, no doubt about it and if u can't see that them maybe you are a bit nuts.....but there areas that concern me.

Poet, you keep harping on Petrino's defense. His D improved every year while at Arkansas. Have you looked at his team's statistics? What did Les Miles' stats look like at Oklahoma St? That would be a good comparison.

If you don't want Petrino because he hired his mistress, then I can understand that argument. It is a conflict of interest that exposed his employer. I get that. The other reasons are really grasping at straws because all coaches listen to other offers, jump at an offer for a promotion and will move the family in a NY minute. Wiki any coach and you will see a trail of leaving one job on a whim for another until they climb the ladder. It is part of the profession.

Several are going to be surprised when Petrino is Chizik's replacement. They will be mad....but they will forget his issues when we are racking up wins.

Really ...I watched a lot of football, played some too....yes his character is and should be a great concern for anyone looking to hire him. But by no means is he a coach without questions. Will he make a committment to recruiting for and building a strong defense? How hard will he recruit, relentless like Saban/Chizik/Miles? You need players to win championships, your HC has to be willing to get them across the board and not just on offense. Will his attention to detail involve all aspects of the program and not just offense? Can he grind out wins in crunch time instead of slinging the ball all over the place when all you need is power run football....look the guy can coach, no doubt about it and if u can't see that them maybe you are a bit nuts.....but there areas that concern me.

Defenses improved every year under Petrino. By his last season at Louisville, they were 12-1 and had the 17th ranked scoring defense in the country at 16.3 points per game. At Arkansas, same thing...better each season. By his fourth season, they were 11-2 and had the 33rd ranked scoring D at 22.2 ppg. They gave up 30 or more points only three times all year and two of those were to the two teams that played for a national title.

The "no defense" line about Petrino is false.

Defenses improved every year under Petrino. By his last season at Louisville, they were 12-1 and had the 17th ranked scoring defense in the country at 16.3 points per game. At Arkansas, same thing...better each season. By his fourth season, they were 11-2 and had the 33rd ranked scoring D at 22.2 ppg. They gave up 30 or more points only three times all year and two of those were to the two teams that played for a national title.

The no character, cheating, lying, unable to beat bama, LSU, Georgia, line however is still very true

The no character, cheating, lying, unable to beat bama, LSU, Georgia, line however is still very true

Grasping at straws broheim...he was competitive with horrible players (minus a QB and some WR's...in a league that is loaded with 4 and 5 stars he was keeping up with 2 and 3 stars.....he would be an excellent hire.....and he will most likely be wearing orange and blue next year....

Actually, not so. And I've explained this multiple times.

Yes, he was winless vs Saban/Bama. However, the list of coaches that have beaten Bama the last 3+ years consists of Chizik (once), Miles (twice) and Spurrier (once). We're canning the first and not getting either of the other two.

He was 1-1 vs Georgia, 2-2 vs LSU, 2-0 vs South Carolina.

The character thing is overblown with regard to his decisions to take other jobs. He owns the scandal that ended his career at Arkansas. Doesn't mean it has to define him now and forever though.

Grasping at straws broheim...he was competitive with horrible players (minus a QB and some WR's...in a league that is loaded with 4 and 5 stars he was keeping up with 2 and 3 stars.....he would be an excellent hire.....and he will most likely be wearing orange and blue next year....

You are the one grasping. He had more players than most realize. His offense is geared to make games against people competitive, but cannot sustain success. Petrino is a mediocre coach and a slug as a human being. He is not the face that I want for Auburn university. As a high school coach that has 10-15 kids sign every year i will steer my kids away from ant Petrino led team.

At this point, I think the fanbase may be "fractured" whether we hire Petrino or not. Those of us sold on Petrino as the next Auburn coach are going to likely be underwhelmed with the choice (outside of a couple of long-shot possibilities).

It's painful for me to think back at how disappointed I was at the Chizik hire, but history tells me there's a good chance that the next coach won't make any bigger splash.

Actually, not so. And I've explained this multiple times.

Yes, he was winless vs Saban/Bama. However, the list of coaches that have beaten Bama the last 3+ years consists of Chizik (once), Miles (twice) and Spurrier (once). We're canning the first and not getting either of the other two.

He was 1-1 vs Georgia, 2-2 vs LSU, 2-0 vs South Carolina.

The character thing is overblown with regard to his decisions to take other jobs. He owns the scandal that ended his career at Arkansas. Doesn't mean it has to define him now and forever though.

So he has had mediocre success against the other guys? Not much of a selling point. I will argue the fact that it does and should define him forever. He lied, he cheated, he made the decisions that cost him his job. Just because we are in an all time low does not mean we should sacrifice our morals for wins

You are the one grasping. He had more players than most realize. His offense is geared to make games against people competitive, but cannot sustain success. Petrino is a mediocre coach and a slug as a human being. He is not the face that I want for Auburn university. As a high school coach that has 10-15 kids sign every year i will steer my kids away from ant Petrino led team.

If that is true, I would question your own morals. You shouldn't be steering players anywhere except the place that will benefit them the most.

No, he didn't. His best ranked recruiting class was 18th on Rivals. He had three teams just in his division over the last 4 years who were regularly pulling Top 5 or Top 10 classes. That doesn't even count Georgia, Florida or South Carolina. He was fighting primarily with 3-stars (a few 4-stars sprinkled in) vs teams who had many more 4-stars plus some 5-stars throughout.

You don't have to like him personally, but you are a complete moron if you think he's a mediocre coach.

If that is true, I would question your own morals. You shouldn't be steering players anywhere except the place that will benefit them the most.

That is so true. It is also my responsibility to teach these young boys to become men. We instill morals into our kids. I will not send a kid to a man with no moral character. That is my responsibility, to do what i think is best for them. In the end it is their decision to make, i cannot or will not make it for them.

Petrino is able to compete and win. Saban has lost the number of games in the past 4 years that you have fingers on one of your hands(unless you lost one)

No, he didn't have more players then people think. You can look at the rankings and the quality of players he was receiving. Arkansas can not pull the same talent as AU, UA, LSU, Fl, UGA....hell, even USCe can pull better content.

I understand you think he is a bad person. To each their own.....but he would be a damn good headcoach for Auburn and with our abilities (both in recruiting and facilities) you would see Auburn competing and winning a LOT of games and most likely championships....

No, he didn't. His best ranked recruiting class was 18th on Rivals. He had three teams just in his division over the last 4 years who were regularly pulling Top 5 or Top 10 classes. That doesn't even count Georgia, Florida or South Carolina. He was fighting primarily with 3-stars (a few 4-stars sprinkled in) vs teams who had many more 4-stars plus some 5-stars throughout.

You don't have to like him personally, but you are a complete moron if you think he's a mediocre coach.

Oh i don't like him personally, but let me ask you this, if he is such a great coach, with all this greatness around him, why has he not won an SEC championship? Why could he not get the big time recruits to come to Arkansas?

Archived