Petrino Discussions

TitanTiger

So he has had mediocre success against the other guys? Not much of a selling point. I will argue the fact that it does and should define him forever. He lied, he cheated, he made the decisions that cost him his job. Just because we are in an all time low does not mean we should sacrifice our morals for wins

You really need a dictionary. First word to look up: "mediocre." It does not mean what you think it means.

Aside from Bama, he was even or better against the other top teams. That doesn't even count 3-1 vs Auburn (which would have been 4-1 with this season). That's not mediocre.

And no one is suggesting sacrificing morals for wins. We're saying that you look into him, do your homework and if you are satisfied he's a truly changed man because of what he went through, you hire him.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are the one grasping. He had more players than most realize. His offense is geared to make games against people competitive, but cannot sustain success. Petrino is a mediocre coach and a slug as a human being. He is not the face that I want for Auburn university. As a high school coach that has 10-15 kids sign every year i will steer my kids away from ant Petrino led team.

No, he didn't. His best ranked recruiting class was 18th on Rivals. He had three teams just in his division over the last 4 years who were regularly pulling Top 5 or Top 10 classes. That doesn't even count Georgia, Florida or South Carolina. He was fighting primarily with 3-stars (a few 4-stars sprinkled in) vs teams who had many more 4-stars plus some 5-stars throughout.

You don't have to like him personally, but you are a complete moron if you think he's a mediocre coach.

Oh i don't like him personally, but let me ask you this, if he is such a great coach, with all this greatness around him, why has he not won an SEC championship? Why could he not get the big time recruits to come to Arkansas?

I guess we have to keep drilling this into your head. Pretty dense up there eh?

HE DIDN'T HAVE THE SAME QUALITY OF PLAYER AS THE TEAMS THAT HAVE WON RECENTLY.....

Maybe that will finally let it set in.....

Also, Arkansas facilities for lack of a better work suck....and the school isn't considered a national power. That school will NEVER be able to get the same quality or caliber of player as the big 6 in the SEC.

Also, If you had any pro style quarterbacks on your teams that you coach that have good heads on their shoulders as far as making football decisions....and you turned them away from Petrino....you did them a terrible injustice.

You are the one grasping. He had more players than most realize. His offense is geared to make games against people competitive, but cannot sustain success. Petrino is a mediocre coach and a slug as a human being. He is not the face that I want for Auburn university. As a high school coach that has 10-15 kids sign every year i will steer my kids away from ant Petrino led team.

No, he didn't. His best ranked recruiting class was 18th on Rivals. He had three teams just in his division over the last 4 years who were regularly pulling Top 5 or Top 10 classes. That doesn't even count Georgia, Florida or South Carolina. He was fighting primarily with 3-stars (a few 4-stars sprinkled in) vs teams who had many more 4-stars plus some 5-stars throughout.

You don't have to like him personally, but you are a complete moron if you think he's a mediocre coach.

Oh i don't like him personally, but let me ask you this, if he is such a great coach, with all this greatness around him, why has he not won an SEC championship? Why could he not get the big time recruits to come to Arkansas?

Because it's Arkansas.

So he has had mediocre success against the other guys? Not much of a selling point. I will argue the fact that it does and should define him forever. He lied, he cheated, he made the decisions that cost him his job. Just because we are in an all time low does not mean we should sacrifice our morals for wins

You really need a dictionary. First word to look up: "mediocre." It does not mean what you think it means.

Aside from Bama, he was even or better against the other top teams. That doesn't even count 3-1 vs Auburn (which would have been 4-1 with this season). That's not mediocre.

And no one is suggesting sacrificing morals for wins. We're saying that you look into him, do your homework and if you are satisfied he's a truly changed man because of what he went through, you hire him.

Mediocre is average. Finishing 3rd or 4th in a 6 team league is average. Mediocre. You are one of his biggest proponents on here, have you done the research? Is he a changed man? Or do you want a win at all costs?

Yeah, I surmised that Mr. Subtlety.

The point is, he didn't have greatness around him, but he did maximize the talent he had. Arkansas has never recruited as well as the other major schools in the SEC they have to compete with. He did improve their recruiting some, but not enough to overcome the inherent advantages in that area that Auburn, Alabama, LSU, Georgia and Florida have.

Arkansas was in disarray when he took over. He took them from 5-7 his first year to 8-5, 10-3 and 11-2. He was fighting in a division that has won the last three national titles. His last season the only losses were to the two teams that played in the BCS title game. Get real.

HE DIDN'T HAVE THE SAME QUALITY OF PLAYER AS THE TEAMS THAT HAVE WON RECENTLY.....

Call me all the names you want. You still did not answer the question. WHY COULD HE NOT GET THE PLAYERS IF HE IS SO GREAT? Say what you want,but believe it or not, you have to recruit as part of being the head coach.

Mediocre is average. Finishing 3rd or 4th in a 6 team league is average. Mediocre. You are one of his biggest proponents on here, have you done the research? Is he a changed man? Or do you want a win at all costs?

I think Titan and I are just giving the man a fair shake. We aren't going to damn him for where he likes to stick his penis. It isn't our business.

It is ignorant for anyone to say he isn't a quality coach that could win championships with better talent.

Call me all the names you want. You still did not answer the question. WHY COULD HE NOT GET THE PLAYERS IF HE IS SO GREAT? Say what you want,but believe it or not, you have to recruit as part of being the head coach.

Dude, how many times do we have to say that Arkansas has never and will never be able to recruit like Auburn, Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Florida etc? I am sorry, but if you took the BEST football coach in the world and put him at a school that is not a traditional power. There is only so much they will be able to do.

If Saban himself was at Arkansas......and Gene Chizik was at Bama......Gene would out recruit Saban....because the schools do majority of the selling.

Then you also need help with understanding the meaning of "average."

I have done the research which is why I'm able to produce facts rather than overwrung emotional outbursts.

There are indicators he's a changed man. There's the ESPN interview from a couple of months back. I've also heard from a person or two that know him well and they say that he is truly repentant and is a good man.

Finally, I already told you I don't want to win at all costs. Stop making the accusation.

For the same reason Saban didn't get the same caliber of players at Michigan State that he got at LSU and is getting at Alabama. For the same reason that Mack Brown didn't get the same level of player at Tulane and North Carolina that he gets at Texas. For the same reason Urban Meyer didn't recruit as well at Utah as he did at Florida.

There's no way you don't get this.

Because it's Arkansas.

Wow Allijack22, you are making my point very clear, how many Auburn fans who hate Petrino do so because of his character. You say that he is a mediocre coach. Are you serious? Then I guess every coach besides Saban is mediocre, because no one has a winning record against him since Saban has been at Alabama. I am sorry, but you are, as I said before, grasping at straws now. Ask anyone in the coaching business, they will tell you immediately that Petrino is one of the best in the business. I respect your argument if it's about his past, but calling him mediocre as a head coach is downright ludicris and absurd, as well as uninformed...

There are plenty of quality coaches out there that haven't made laughing stocks of themselves and their employers.

Petrino simply does not deserve the Auburn job after the stuff he pulled.

If that is true, I would question your own morals. You shouldn't be steering players anywhere except the place that will benefit them the most.

That is so true. It is also my responsibility to teach these young boys to become men. We instill morals into our kids. I will not send a kid to a man with no moral character. That is my responsibility, to do what i think is best for them. In the end it is their decision to make, i cannot or will not make it for them.

No, it is your job to coach a damn football team! The parents of these kids should be molding their character and moral standing not a football coach.

For the same reason Saban didn't get the same caliber of players at Michigan State that he got at LSU and is getting at Alabama. For the same reason that Mack Brown didn't get the same level of player at Tulane and North Carolina that he gets at Texas. For the same reason Urban Meyer didn't recruit as well at Utah as he did at Florida.

There's no way you don't get this.

To add to this Titan Tiger, Saban was actually pretty "mediocre" at Michigan State at 34-24-1, but we have seen what has happened when he is at schools where he has a great recruiting base. Again, I would equate Arkansas as a little better than Michigan State, but still Petrino's record at Arkansas speaks for itself. As I and many others who understand how good Petrino is, I cannot imagine how good we could be with Petrino, with all of the resources he would have at his disposal....

If that is true, I would question your own morals. You shouldn't be steering players anywhere except the place that will benefit them the most.

That is so true. It is also my responsibility to teach these young boys to become men. We instill morals into our kids. I will not send a kid to a man with no moral character. That is my responsibility, to do what i think is best for them. In the end it is their decision to make, i cannot or will not make it for them.

No, it is your job to coach a damn football team! The parents of these kids should be molding their character and moral standing not a football coach.

Just curious what POWERHOUSE HS team in the area that produces 10-15 signees every year that you , Mr. Super Coach/ Social Worker is a part of? :dunno:

we need a proven winner. someone who can build and someone who can continue coaching winning team. not some guy who comes in a gives us a mediocre 3 or 4 years. I am sick of that. every time we start to have something it falls apart. we need a proven winner or we will never be able to compete with alabama

"If Saban himself was at Arkansas......and Gene Chizik was at Bama......Gene would out recruit Saban....because the schools do majority of the selling."

LOL. Then you'd be saying Chizik was the best coach.

You think Kansas State gets the best recruits? Take a look at what Bill Snyder is doing out there....again! Snyder and his boys may just take Saban behind the woodshed if Bama makes the NCG.

There are plenty of other options available other than Petrino. Some are proven, some aren't, but most of them didn't foolishly squander the best opportunity of their lives (including milliions of $$$) with unethical decisions in a public manner that severely affected their families, their employers and loads of players for years to come. Get over it.

Don't tell anyone to get over it. People have opinions. Some of them are in conflict with yours. It doesn't make them or you any better or worse and it certainly doesn't mean they should just accept your take on it and "get over it."

Hey Titan Tiger, do you know if Petrino is actually being considered and maybe the leading candidate or is it just rumor?

I'm not Titan but I think everything is just message board rumor at this point. Gogue is on record saying he doesn't hire & fire coaches, he hires & fires athletic directors. Unless/until we get a new AD, anything regarding a new coach is just conjecture.

Hey Titan Tiger, do you know if Petrino is actually being considered and maybe the leading candidate or is it just rumor?

He's being considered. Don't know that I'd say he's the leading candidate. Not sure there is a leading candidate or just a small handful of leading "candidates."

Poet, you keep harping on Petrino's defense. His D improved every year while at Arkansas. Have you looked at his team's statistics? What did Les Miles' stats look like at Oklahoma St? That would be a good comparison.

If you don't want Petrino because he hired his mistress, then I can understand that argument. It is a conflict of interest that exposed his employer. I get that. The other reasons are really grasping at straws because all coaches listen to other offers, jump at an offer for a promotion and will move the family in a NY minute. Wiki any coach and you will see a trail of leaving one job on a whim for another until they climb the ladder. It is part of the profession.

And u are grasping at straws to validate why you want him hired...you can cherry pick stats but any football person would know BP teams are not know for defense and power football, he is known for a a strong passing offense, multiple WR sets, and points. If you think he is going to come to AU with the same formula, and win championships then you are mistaken. If I was interviewing him I would want to know how does he plan on building a consistent legit SEC defense and what efforts will he put into recruiting the best players to Auburn. Sorry if you find those as unfounded concerns. I just don't believe he addresses the defense like he does offense, nor does he invest a lot into defensive recruiting. If I was hiring him I would address these questions and would like to hear his plan for development and improvement. You have no concerns about him, which is cool...i still do until he proves otherwise whether he gets that shot at Auburn remains to be seen. I have no issues with coaches looking to better there careers, but clandestine meetings in the night, quitting on your team without being man enough to do it in person, and undermining the university hiring process concerns me and several others. Like I said it may not bother you which is cool, but I am not going to look the other way just because he averaged 10 wins at Arky. We can agree to disagree.

He's being considered. Don't know that I'd say he's the leading candidate. Not sure there is a leading candidate or just a small handful of leading "candidates."

It's a "no brainer" for me.....he is available, bet he would love to come here...sure he has some baggage, but I don't think he would want to screw this opportunity up.

Auburn will hire Petrino, if we are truly serious about having a winning football program. He is by far the best coach we can get. IMO

I doubt there is anyone here (or in the world right now) who has lived a perfect life and hasn't made at least one major mistake they wished they could take back.

Archived