Petrino Discussions

TitanTiger

Auburn folks would have to come up with new catch phrases pretty quickly of BP were hired.

"God Thing" wouldn't work anymore.

"Family" wouldn't work anymore.

"All In" would have a whole new meaning that may be offensive to some people.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Auburn folks would have to come up with new catch phrases pretty quickly of BP were hired.

I would be happy to see some "catch phrases" retired. They work here and there if the situation is right, but they grow old and stale fast. Remember all the Bowden stuff. Attitude was good, but then audacity and some others and they grew old and stale fast.

"God Thing" should have been retired the second it was uttered. This is football and it's borderline offensive to suggest that you won a game because God was on your side (implying by default that He was not on the losing team's side).

"Family" will stick around because it always has been and will continue no matter who is hired.

"All In" has probably worn out its welcome anyway.

I thought this would be more appropriate here, since it is about Petrino. It's in a response to someone wanting a " big name hire":

So, what would be a homerun hire to you? And keep in mind, you have to be realistic. You mention UAT and Ohio St. hitting home runs, well, let's look at that a little closer. It was a known fact that Saban was not very happy in the NFL, and wanted out. He was unsuccessful and went to the first college program where he knew he would dominate. Ohio St. grabbed Meyer when he was out of the business and wanted to stop coaching for a year. By the way, Urban had been on record stating that Ohio St. has always been his dream job. So, if you want a hire like that, you are going to be very disappointed. There is no current NFL coach who would come to Auburn right now, like Schiano, Carroll, or Harbaugh, etc. They are running successful programs in the NFL. Gruden and Cowher? They have been out of coaching for a while, and have little experience in college coaching. You have to remember, there is a huge difference in coaching in the NFL and in college. Remember Dave Wanstedt, former coach of Miami who then coached at Pitt? How did that turn out? Very rarely do coaches from the NFL who have no head coaching experience in college pan out, and vice versa. Chip Kelly? He has it made in Orgeon. Peterson? He will never leave Boise, that is a fact.

All I am saying is that when those two programs were looking for a coach, they were fortunate that those two were available at the time. Unfortunately for Auburn, the picking is very slim for a " big name hire". Yes, I know Petrino has baggage, but he is the closest thing to a big name hire, and proven winner, that Auburn can get. Every other name is the typical Auburn hire we have made in the past, where they will win 7-8 games a year, with an occassional 10 win season, but we will not be consistent contenders for championships. Petrino is the only one available who has the pedigree to bring Auburn back to relevancy, and be consistent in doing it....

By the way, very few coaches have never had any NCAA violations, and Petrino is one of them. Jim Tressel put his school on probation. Just food for thought....

"God Thing" should have been retired the second it was uttered. This is football and it's borderline offensive to suggest that you won a game because God was on your side (implying by default that He was not on the losing team's side).

"Family" will stick around because it always has been and will continue no matter who is hired.

"All In" has probably worn out its welcome anyway.

1. :bow: Absolutely!

2. Yep

3. Agreed.

4. I'll be content if we never hear another snarky catch phrase in regards to AU football

Paul Rhodes would be a safe hire for sure. .500 coach at a low-tier BCS school, who you could pick up on the cheap and dump pretty easily if it doesn't work out in a few years.

Personally, I'd like to see Auburn make a splash hire for a change. A hire that will get the big boosters to open up their pocketbooks and enthuse the fan base into showing up for even the little games and gett excited for the program.

I'm sure Rhodes is a great guy and might be a good coach, but being only a few years removed from a national title, Auburn can and should strive for bigger candidates right now.

I thought this would be more appropriate here, since it is about Petrino. It's in a response to someone wanting a " big name hire":

So, what would be a homerun hire to you? And keep in mind, you have to be realistic. You mention UAT and Ohio St. hitting home runs, well, let's look at that a little closer. It was a known fact that Saban was not very happy in the NFL, and wanted out. He was unsuccessful and went to the first college program where he knew he would dominate. Ohio St. grabbed Meyer when he was out of the business and wanted to stop coaching for a year. By the way, Urban had been on record stating that Ohio St. has always been his dream job. So, if you want a hire like that, you are going to be very disappointed. There is no current NFL coach who would come to Auburn right now, like Schiano, Carroll, or Harbaugh, etc. They are running successful programs in the NFL. Gruden and Cowher? They have been out of coaching for a while, and have little experience in college coaching. You have to remember, there is a huge difference in coaching in the NFL and in college. Remember Dave Wanstedt, former coach of Miami who then coached at Pitt? How did that turn out? Very rarely do coaches from the NFL who have no head coaching experience in college pan out, and vice versa. Chip Kelly? He has it made in Orgeon. Peterson? He will never leave Boise, that is a fact.

All I am saying is that when those two programs were looking for a coach, they were fortunate that those two were available at the time. Unfortunately for Auburn, the picking is very slim for a " big name hire". Yes, I know Petrino has baggage, but he is the closest thing to a big name hire, and proven winner, that Auburn can get. Every other name is the typical Auburn hire we have made in the past, where they will win 7-8 games a year, with an occassional 10 win season, but we will not be consistent contenders for championships. Petrino is the only one available who has the pedigree to bring Auburn back to relevancy, and be consistent in doing it....

By the way, very few coaches have never had any NCAA violations, and Petrino is one of them. Jim Tressel put his school on probation. Just food for thought....

nutritious food, good job!

You owe me a keyboard for the all in reference.....I think all three should be retired anyways. God thing should have NEVER come out of his mouth. God doesn't care about football in any way. Family, we can always be referenced as the Auburn family.....the coach wouldn't change that....Auburn is what Auburn is. The all in quote....I have never really liked, but that is just my personal opinion.

With all the problems going on - or presumed to be going on - with the football program, we really need a guy like Bobby Petrino who can come in and fix the mess. He is the type of guy you can't go wrong with! ;D

I also think CVG would leave if BP was brought in - I am quite sure his life was not made easier by some coward skipping town.

0-4 vs Bama

2-2 vs LSU

What is the problem we are trying to solve again? Meh.....doesnt matter......BP will be the answer.

You're wrong. He would work with Petrino and in fact contacted him while he was at Arkansas to inquire about the DC position there.

I had no idea BVG actaully contacted him. If you do not mind me asking - is there proof of this? I would find it hard to ask to work for the man who skipped out over night on an entire franchise. I guess he is a likable enough guy considering where all he has coached and the fact people are still willing to hire him (I assume).

You owe me a keyboard for the all in reference.....I think all three should be retired anyways. God thing should have NEVER come out of his mouth. God doesn't care about football in any way. Family, we can always be referenced as the Auburn family.....the coach wouldn't change that....Auburn is what Auburn is. The all in quote....I have never really liked, but that is just my personal opinion.

"STOP US!!...IF YOU CAN." :bananadance::wareagle:

Auburn has been "family" for quite some time now, long before Chizik came along. I think that AU needs to work out a deal with Petrino and get it done as soon as possible in order for him to smooth over some possible/probable unsteadiness with some alums,students, fans, and especially recruits. We have a top-notch group of commitments and if AU can get Petrino on in so he can start meeting with the recruits and their families, then maybe AU can hold on to most if not all of them. There's already speculation that Dee Liner may be looking to flip to the dark side---if he does, he does (wouldn't be the first) but I for one would sure love to hold onto him since he's considered an outstanding prospect and is the #1 prospect in the State of Alabama.

I personally would not mind Petrino.

The top quarterback in the country would immediately look at Auburn if we hired him.

Sure, he has a troubled past, and has moved around quite a bit, but hes not getting any younger.

Auburn has the facilities, the recruiting resources and the family atmosphere where he could perhaps settle down for a while.

Hes an offensive minded genius and has been everywhere hes gone.

I think for once, Auburn needs to make the unexpected hire and focus more on winning, and less on image.

If a coach recruits withing the rules and guidelines and wins on the field, the image will take care of itself.

Like Bobby Petrino, Rick Pitino also had an affair and he's still coaching at Louisville. You don't see ESPN blasting Pitino every year for his personal issues. He's still considered a really good coach.

I think it would be bumpy at first but I think once Petrino starts to win, all the talking about his personal issues would stop.

I personally would not mind Petrino.

The top quarterback in the country would immediately look at Auburn if we hired him.

Sure, he has a troubled past, and has moved around quite a bit, but hes not getting any younger.

Auburn has the facilities, the recruiting resources and the family atmosphere where he could perhaps settle down for a while.

Hes an offensive minded genius and has been everywhere hes gone.

I think for once, Auburn needs to make the unexpected hire and focus more on winning, and less on image.

If a coach recruits withing the rules and guidelines and wins on the field, the image will take care of itself.

:bs:

He made his mark at Louisville. He stayed there for four years, and made them relevant. No one thought he was going to stay there, including Louisville. That's what hot coaches do, they move up. So he goes to the Falcons, and leaves before the season is out. We don't know the facts of his time in Atlanta, but we do know that he wasn't succeeding. Maybe he didn't get along with the staff, maybe he didn't get along with the management. He wasn't happy, obviously, and Arkansas wanted a head coach. Back to the college game he went, which is where he seemed to fit best anyway. Why did he owe the players more than a note announcing his departure? They are multi-millionaire grown men. I doubt they lost any sleep over it. It's not like he was there for a decade and forged meaningful relationships with all of them. No one expects the president of a nearly billion dollar company to personally address the employees when he leaves. They get a memo.

The Falcons job Petrino ended up with was very different from the one he signed on for. He was taking a team many felt was underachieving but had plenty of talent, most notably Michael Vick and was expected to groom him into a real NFL QB instead of just an athlete playing the position. Then the dogfighting thing went down and the season spiraled down the tubes. Suddenly with 3 games left he was presented a chance at a head coaching job at an SEC school, but there was a compressed time limit. He had to make up his mind quickly or Arkansas was going to pull the trigger on its next choice. He bungled the departure for sure. But the fact that he left in and of itself shouldn't be that big a deal.

Insert Auburn where you inserted Falcons....and another event ala dogfighting, put KF/JW for Vick, and another coaching job where Arky is...= another midnight departure....I just don't trust the guy and still have some issues with his overall coaching acumen.

Petrino would be a terror in the Auburn Family. Division is not what we need right now.

There's going to be division no matter what.

And that division would heal pretty quick once the wins started and AU started being dominant.

True, and the hire will have much more support than the Chizik hire did from the start.

Pretty broad brush you are using there

???

I think that Petrino has wanted to be Auburn's HC for a good while. People change when they allow God to be in control of their life. Coach Petrino is no different than other coaches throughout the ages that have led a not too wholesome lifestyle. Can the man change? I do think so. I would have no problem with him as coach, but only....I mean only, with a true change of heart. This could very well turn out to be an awesome experience. With that being said, I think that there are some really great coaches out there that would love to come to Auburn to win championships. WIthin the last 10 years, we have won 2 SEC Championships and a National Championship. We had 2 undefeated seasons of which few teams in the country have done during this tme-frame. I think the coaches that I am about to list are excellent coaches that could come to Auburn and have some serious success. This list is not in order of who I think is the best on down:

1. Art Briles

2. Gus Malzhan

3. Larry Fedora

4. Jimbo FIsher

5. Pat Fitzgerald

6. Bobby Petrino **

7. chris Peterson

8. Mike Leach

9. James Franklin

10. Charlie Strong

11. Mike Gundy

12. Dan Mullen

xcell

There are others out there that would make excellent choices. I do think that Jay Jacobs should be shown the door of the AD department.

As bad as our defense has been this year, if we could score we would have a decent record. That tells me we should hire an offensive minded coach in lieu of defensive (Strong). Someone mentioned Gundy earlier, I like the hire but he is a lifer at OKSU. What are everyone's thoughts on his OC Todd Monken? We have players that fit his scheme and I think OKSU has a great offense. He is not a proven HC but has some nice credentials. With a decent DC hire, that could be pretty special.

Petrino is not the only guy out there that can coach winning football. He is, however, the only guy that has lied to his boss, broken the law, lied to the university by which he was employed, been fired by that university and is still seen as a desirable guy to fill an opening by a portion of Auburn's fan base.

A lot of people are selling AU short. We don't have to settle for either a crook or a winner, we can and will get a winner that's honest.

Odds of Patrino even sniffing an interview are zero anyway, so lets look at doc4aday's list above. I could be happy with 4, 10, or11.

Archived