Petrino Discussions

TitanTiger

1. This Petrino talk has gotta stop. Look, the guy hired a mistress in his previous job, got caught after the Harley wreck, and then lied to the AD, Prez, Media and anyone else that would listen. I understand he was trying to cover his rear end but honesty goes along way in my book. He left Atlanta in the middle of the night and simply put, is just not a good enough man to helm the head coaching job at Auburn. We deserve better, and he deserves less. If he is hired, I will still be an Auburn Man, but I will feel a little dirty about it. (haha). Look at the success of other schools who hired outside the SEC, and hired coaches with little to no SEC experience - Saban to LSU from Michigan State, Meyer to Florida from Utah, Miles to LSU from ???. I'm just saying there is a bunch of great candidates, and you gotta' at least make some calls to gauge some interest and not settle for a coach that is 0 and 4 against bammer in his career as a head coach.

Ditto.... Would rather lose than watch this loser win... Which he would not very long... Before screwing up or leaving for a hotter jig...

Please check your moral superiority at the login. We've all made mistakes, they just weren't in the media. Petrino is a baller, player and all around force to be reckoned with. Stop hating the player and focus your hate on the game.

If a dude as fugly as Petrino can pull extra-marital leg like that, he can coach my team any day.

WDE and let's get this guy in O&B ASAP.

Three strikes and your out.... It's about more than blondes and Harley's

You're catching on man. I agree. More important than hotties is winning and he has that one down. Why can't a grown man have both...?

Petrino is a liar. Not a good thing in a college football coach. You may find it impressive that he can use his position of power as head football coach to seduce a student athlete. I don't.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  1. This Petrino talk has gotta stop. Look, the guy hired a mistress in his previous job, got caught after the Harley wreck, and then lied to the AD, Prez, Media and anyone else that would listen. I understand he was trying to cover his rear end but honesty goes along way in my book. He left Atlanta in the middle of the night and simply put, is just not a good enough man to helm the head coaching job at Auburn. We deserve better, and he deserves less. If he is hired, I will still be an Auburn Man, but I will feel a little dirty about it. (haha). Look at the success of other schools who hired outside the SEC, and hired coaches with little to no SEC experience - Saban to LSU from Michigan State, Meyer to Florida from Utah, Miles to LSU from ???. I'm just saying there is a bunch of great candidates, and you gotta' at least make some calls to gauge some interest and not settle for a coach that is 0 and 4 against bammer in his career as a head coach.

Ditto.... Would rather lose than watch this loser win... Which he would not very long... Before screwing up or leaving for a hotter jig...

Please check your moral superiority at the login. We've all made mistakes, they just weren't in the media. Petrino is a baller, player and all around force to be reckoned with. Stop hating the player and focus your hate on the game.

If a dude as fugly as Petrino can pull extra-marital leg like that, he can coach my team any day.

WDE and let's get this guy in O&B ASAP.

Three strikes and your out.... It's about more than blondes and Harley's

You're catching on man. I agree. More important than hotties is winning and he has that one down. Why can't a grown man have both...?

Petrino is a liar. Not a good thing in a college football coach. You may find it impressive that he can use his position of power as head football coach to seduce a student athlete. I don't.

Not one lie either... Many lies in multiple places in multiple situations to multiple people.... Always leaving those he leveraged trust from in a mess in worse shape than he assumed.... It's a track record.....

He will never have a winning program over time... It's not about us or forgiveness.

It's about HIS choices... Thus three strikes and we don't need his outs....

If we hire Petrino, I will buy him a new Harley!

Look at John Calipari, the ex Memphis coach and now coach at Kentucky; this guy left Memphis in shambles with vacated wins and all. Kentucky hired him because he wins basketball games-not because he is a saint! Sad, but that is life in major athletics as we know it.

I would like to be filled in about how many championships Petrino has, since he is supposedly all-world.

Oh for the love of God, how many times does this have to be answered? Do you folks even use Google before piping off about it?

He won two conference championships at Louisville. He moved up to the SEC and has managed to take a team mostly of 3-stars and win 10 and 11 games the last two seasons, in the division that has produced the last 3 national champions.

Can we finally retire this question?

I would like to be filled in about how many championships Petrino has, since he is supposedly all-world.

Oh for the love of God, how many times does this have to be answered? Do you folks even use Google before piping off about it?

He won two conference championships at Louisville. He moved up to the SEC and has managed to take a team mostly of 3-stars and win 10 and 11 games the last two seasons, in the division that has produced the last 3 national champions.

Yep... Answer is he hasn't done it yet... We can stick to what he has done.... Just ask his last THREE employers

I don't know why everyone is so obsessed with him coming in. Yes he is a good coach, but he hasn't won an SEC Championship, even after all the loaded teams he had at Arkansas. Finally, he has character issues. He interviewed for the Auburn job under shady conditions (not necessarily his fault), left the Falcons under the cover of night and he lied about his relationship with the nice young lady who fell off his motorcycle. I would be willing to overlook the first few, but cheating on your spouse is one of the worst things I think you can do.

One thing folks seem to be overlooking in all of this is how recruits view the guy now. I'm not sure many mothers would be too happy having him come into their living room to talk about how he's going to make their sons a better man. For me, it's a pass. There have to be other options without the character issues.

I'd be a fan of bringing in Gus Malzahn. I know he isn't a proven name, but I miss his offense. Just imagine how dynamic it could be with him being unrestrained? I think it's time to hire an offensive minded coach, who better than a guy familiar with our program and who literally wrote the book on the hurry up no huddle offense?

Does anyone else think that Petrino might have to serve time as an offensive coordinator for a spell in order to get back in to good graces within the college football community? Hire him as a coordinator tomorrow, but I don't want him running our program.

I know some have mentioned Tracy Rocker, but I say, no one who played at Auburn. I couldn't imagine how hard it'd be to fire one of our greatest players if he didn't have success. Just not a good situation in my opinion.

I don't know why everyone is so obsessed with him coming in. Yes he is a good coach, but he hasn't won an SEC Championship, even after all the loaded teams he had at Arkansas.

Loaded teams? He got them to their highest recruiting ranking in years...#18. That was the best they were and it happened one time. Arkansas typically ranks around the mid 20s to low 30s in the recruit rankings. He never had a loaded team there.

You're entitled to your own opinion on whether he's the guy you want, but you're not entitled to your own facts.

32 pages discussing a guy the university president and BOT will never even interview. I guess we all need something to poo-poo each other about to help us get through this dismal season.

Exactly, I know what he has and has not done. First of all the big east is and has been a complete joke since Miami and Va. Tech left and really since 2003 has not been relevant. Second, you are leaving out the falcons and could not beat bammer and lsu just once......sound familiar? Btw Chizik has more hardware than Petrino, even as an assistant. That is a fact. Listen, I have zero doubt he would come in and win 10 games next year, but I also know AU can hire someone else that can win w/o screwing up or selling out.

I don't know why everyone is so obsessed with him coming in. Yes he is a good coach, but he hasn't won an SEC Championship, even after all the loaded teams he had at Arkansas.

Loaded teams? He got them to their highest recruiting ranking in years...#18. That was the best they were and it happened one time. Arkansas typically ranks around the mid 20s to low 30s in the recruit rankings. He never had a loaded team there.

You're entitled to your own opinion on whether he's the guy you want, but you're not entitled to your own facts.

Sorry. I ignorantly equated top 10 with talent. I guess I'm wrong. Wasn't trying to distort facts. I just don't keep up with Arkansas recruiting like others...

Auburn's next hire is too critical to risk taking a chance on Petrino. Is our program really in a position to afford giving a potential candidate for our next head coach a second chance for a fresh start, especially after this disastrous season? That's exactly what we'd be taking if we hire Petrino - a chance. He's carrying a lot of baggage right now in his personal life... surely more than he ever has. If he becomes a head coach next fall he will be spending much more energy than he ever has focusing on areas outside of football and coaching. Sure, there's a lot of time between now and next fall for Petrino to get his personal life in order, but the damage he's done to his family is going to take a long time to try and repair.

How about we go out and hire a proven commodity with no baggage? Or is that just a pipe dream?

A summary of the conversation that has always stuck with me since I heard it.

Michael Jordan needed a rebounder on his team and when they asked him some names he said go get me the best rebounder you can get. That rebounder was none other then Dennis Rodman who had one of the worst reputations at the time for being selfish and a jerk. When they asked Michael about Dennis he said I meant it get me the best, it's not like I have to like the guy or hang out with him. I want someone who can perform. As the old saying goes the rest is history, Dennis helped MJ win championships even if he was a distraction off the court.

So with that said bring on Bobby and let's start lighting some folks up, it beats getting your rear handed to you by the bottom feeders of the SEC anyday with the current coach. By the way the current coach was roasted by Petrino every year except the year he had Cam.

I could get past the personal issues I suppose, but could our recruits? That is my main concern with BP, can he overcome the negativity that will be thrown his way on the recruiting trail? I also agree with Mikey's statement that everytime this hire is mentioned on the worldwide leader it will be " disgraced former Arkansas coach BP given second chance by Auburn". Why can't Auburn go after a winner and someone without the baggage?

I believe we can, but many on this board sadly would compromise with the hiring of BP. A person that separates his personal life from his public life if what many on here are ok with. I'm not talking about Religion either folks but I keep hearing "I want a coach that players will fear & respect". I doubt respect is an attribute that BP will command and his persona is not remotely similar to Saban as some on the board hope for. Yes he can run a damn good offense and I guess that is enough for most, I suppose.

Maybe he would have better football recruiting classes if he wasn't

Perhaps he would have had better football recruiting classes if he hadn't been out recruiting a blonde for his Beaver lake rides.

Michael Jordan needed a rebounder on his team and when they asked him some names he said go get me the best rebounder you can get. That rebounder was none other then Dennis Rodman pwho had one of the worst reputations at the time for being selfish and a jerk. When they asked Michael about Dennis he said I meant it get me the best, it's not like I have to like the guy or hang out with him. I want someone who can perform. As the old saying goes the rest is history, Dennis helped MJ win championships even if he was a distraction off the court.

So with that said bring on Bobby and let's start lighting some folks up, it beats getting your rear handed to you by the bottom feeders of the SEC anyday with the current coach. By the way the current coach was roasted by Petrino every year except the year he had Cam.

The reason Rodman was kept in check was. MJ's strong leadership. Who is our strong leader??? Jay Jacobs??? Nobody here to babysit Dennis Petrino.

Michael Jordan needed a rebounder on his team and when they asked him some names he said go get me the best rebounder you can get. That rebounder was none other then Dennis Rodman pwho had one of the worst reputations at the time for being selfish and a jerk. When they asked Michael about Dennis he said I meant it get me the best, it's not like I have to like the guy or hang out with him. I want someone who can perform. As the old saying goes the rest is history, Dennis helped MJ win championships even if he was a distraction off the court.

The reason Rodman was kept in check was. MJ's strong leadership. Who is our strong leader??? Jay Jacobs??? Nobody here to babysit Dennis Petrino.

Van Gorder will keep him in check.

Van Gorder will keep him in check.

2 things.

1: When the Bulls signed Rodman he had no shot at becoming to face of the franchise. If Auburn hires Petrino he will be the face of Auburn football. The comparison of signing a "bad boy" player vs a coach who has been fired for reasons such as Petrino is nonexistent.

2. Do you really think BVG will stick around (if given the opportunity) if we hire Petrino? Don't forget that BVG was part of the Atlanta Falcons staff that Petrino up and walked out on.

With all the problems going on - or presumed to be going on - with the football program, we really need a guy like Bobby Petrino who can come in and fix the mess. He is the type of guy you can't go wrong with! ;D

I also think CVG would leave if BP was brought in - I am quite sure his life was not made easier by some coward skipping town.

0-4 vs Bama

2-2 vs LSU

What is the problem we are trying to solve again? Meh.....doesnt matter......BP will be the answer.

If Petrino were brought in and I hope he isn't. We would need a AWESOME DC. I just remember none of his teams having a good defense.

With all the problems going on - or presumed to be going on - with the football program, we really need a guy like Bobby Petrino who can come in and fix the mess. He is the type of guy you can't go wrong with! ;D

I also think CVG would leave if BP was brought in - I am quite sure his life was not made easier by some coward skipping town.

0-4 vs Bama

2-2 vs LSU

What is the problem we are trying to solve again? Meh.....doesnt matter......BP will be the answer.

You're wrong. He would work with Petrino and in fact contacted him while he was at Arkansas to inquire about the DC position there.

Archived