Petrino Discussions

TitanTiger

Auburn better hire Petrino, if we are serious about having a winning football team. Petrino is by far the best coach available out there and would win big at AU.

Auburn people need to decide if we want to have a nice guy who either gets his butt beat/wins on occasion or hire a mean SOB that gets the job done.

We can either hire a top five coach like Petrino and be sure to win or we can hire someone else and wave the white flag.

Btw- I hear alot of so called christians saying Petrino is scum and has no morals. Well, let he without sin cast the first stone.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Petrino is one of the very best college coaches in the country in my opinion. I think we would probably win with Petrino, and win a lot. However, we can win with other coaches too. And I would rather win the "right way" than with Petrino as the head coach. I know college football is big business and at the end of the day it's about winning. The university we all know and love should be concerned about winning, yes, but #1 about developing these young men into good people. Bobby Petrino just ain't the guy you want telling your son how to lead his life in an upstanding manner. If our school is going to only be concerned with winning football games by any means necessary, then we may as well not consider ourselves any different from the University of Alabama.

Like it or not, the head football coach at an SEC school (and most D-1 schools) is usually the most prominent figure representing the school. Is Bobby Petrino really the guy we want to be on TV representing Auburn University? It's not just what he did at Arkansas. It's what he did in Atlanta and Louisville. He's proven what kind of person he is over and over. I don't care how remorseful he is about his latest episode. He's a liar, a cheater, and a snake.

mal has been with the big boys quite a while now starting with arky when nutt hired him. it appears when he is left to do his own thing he really excells. coach p is a decent coach also. would coming in running the spread help auburn more than what petrino runs? i really did not care for coach p after jetgate but it seems folks have forgiven david h so why not bobby? also many coaches including saban have some probs with the spread. so what are the pro's and cons of a spread vs a pro set? and lets overlook recruiting for a minute cus if you ARE a stud you will get drafted anyway right? thoughts?

mal has been with the big boys quite a while now starting with arky when nutt hired him. it appears when he is left to do his own thing he really excells. coach p is a decent coach also. would coming in running the spread help auburn more than what petrino runs? i really did not care for coach p after jetgate but it seems folks have forgiven david h so why not bobby? also many coaches including saban have some probs with the spread. so what are the pro's and cons of a spread vs a pro set? and lets overlook recruiting for a minute cus if you ARE a stud you will get drafted anyway right? thoughts?

Petrino would hire hotter female staffers. Less chance of Gus getting hurt on a motorcycle though...

A summary of the conversation that has always stuck with me since I heard it.

Michael Jordan needed a rebounder on his team and when they asked him some names he said go get me the best rebounder you can get. That rebounder was none other then Dennis Rodman who had one of the worst reputations at the time for being selfish and a jerk. When they asked Michael about Dennis he said I meant it get me the best, it's not like I have to like the guy or hang out with him. I want someone who can perform. As the old saying goes the rest is history, Dennis helped MJ win championships even if he was a distraction off the court.

So with that said bring on Bobby and let's start lighting some folks up, it beats getting your rear handed to you by the bottom feeders of the SEC anyday with the current coach. By the way the current coach was roasted by Petrino every year except the year he had Cam.

You forget Dennis had won 2 Nba titles, I think one defensive player of the year award, and led the league in rebounding....outside of those 2 Big Least titles BP has not won any championships ..not the best comparison, but I clearly understand what you are trying to say

why is it we can forgive david housel and not bobby p? bobby was asked to show up by the powers that be.........

Petrino is one of the very best college coaches in the country in my opinion. I think we would probably win with Petrino, and win a lot. However, we can win with other coaches too. And I would rather win the "right way" than with Petrino as the head coach. I know college football is big business and at the end of the day it's about winning. The university we all know and love should be concerned about winning, yes, but #1 about developing these young men into good people. Bobby Petrino just ain't the guy you want telling your son how to lead his life in an upstanding manner. If our school is going to only be concerned with winning football games by any means necessary, then we may as well not consider ourselves any different from the University of Alabama.

Like it or not, the head football coach at an SEC school (and most D-1 schools) is usually the most prominent figure representing the school. Is Bobby Petrino really the guy we want to be on TV representing Auburn University? It's not just what he did at Arkansas. It's what he did in Atlanta and Louisville. He's proven what kind of person he is over and over. I don't care how remorseful he is about his latest episode. He's a liar, a cheater, and a snake.

You forgot one thing about Petrino, he wins. A lot.

I want a head coach running our football team, not some church youth minister.

Auburn does not have to settle for either integrity or coaching ability, Auburn can and should demand both. Petrino lied to his last employer and the police and knowingly broke EEO laws.

We don't want him here, we can do better.

Isn't Christianity all about forgiveness and grace? Not saying we should hire Petrino, but I wouldn't be upset if we did. Now, if he behaved the same way, it would be time to dismiss him... so if the powers that be think he is reformed... hire him. If not, he's too much of a risk to have to replace and go through this whole thing again.

Is this a serious question? Bobby P has experience being a head coach in the SEC and 8 years as a college HC. Gus hasn't even had 1 year as a college HC. Bobby P is a proven commodity while Professor Malzahn is still questionable as a HC.

Being head coach isn't anything the same as being OC... Getting Gus would be a risk for sure. Having said that, so would Petrino, but for different reasons. IMO, Gus isn't worth the risk and Petrino could cause more harm than good if he isn't reformed.... I think there are other coaches out there that would be a good fit for Auburn and not as big a risk. The last thing we need to do is go through this all again in 5 years.

i've changed my mind after watching that interview with him on ESPN.

he seems regretful. he is a GREAT coach and seems like a good person who wants to straighten things up. everyone makes mistakes and many times people come out stronger on the other side. i was a naysayer, but i've changed my mind after that interview. i would be very happy with him as HC.

war eagle!

Disclaimer: I am not on the fire Gene Chizik bandwagon, but the writing certainly appears to be on the wall after the debacle Saturday night, so I've been thinking about who we should go after. A couple of coaches that come to my mind are Paul Rhoads and Larry Fedora. Of course, hiring Rhoads would make the Iowa State fans hate us the way we hated Texas for taking our DCs.

Poet - I don't think the HC should be held accountable for player graduation. Its not like he is telling them to skip class, but at some point, the player has to be responsible for his own education. These "kids" are 18-23 and should be mature enough to understand the blessing bestowed on them and take full advantage. But, I don't think Petrino would ignore player graduation if it would be detrimental to his team.

to all - Petrino hasn't won an SEC title. I will give you that. Considering that the SEC was filled with Tim Tebow's Florida, Cam Newton's Auburn and the juggernauts in Baton Rouge and Tuscaloosa, I am willing to give him a pass on this one. He had Arkansas improving year over year. What past SEC champion are you interested in hiring? Fulmer? Tuberville? Dubose? Dye? just curious

I appreciate Gus, however, there is very little to look at that suggests what kind of HC he would be. Springdale and ark state for half a season doesn't tell enough. I want petrino, but my gut keeps saying its not going to happen.

We need someone who is proven and can handle running a big time program. I think that was chiziks failure, he couldn't handle and put all the pieces together.

Disclaimer: I am not on the fire Gene Chizik bandwagon, but the writing certainly appears to be on the wall after the debacle Saturday night, so I've been thinking about who we should go after. A couple of coaches that come to my mind are Paul Rhoads and Larry Fedora. Of course, hiring Rhoads would make the Iowa State fans hate us the way we hated Texas for taking our DCs.

Right now, the ISU fans love Auburn as we took the biggest problem off of their hands. Chizik seems to either be feast for famine. I'm not so sure somehow, someway, he won't have a lucky season somewhere else again. The thing about him, he does have a knack for making tremendous hires. The problem is that he also always has that head scratcher and he needs to learn to stop meddling with his coordinators.

Gus has a better offense than BP. His teams are not so one sided and he is always looking to adjust and improve. Petrino will get stubborn at times. Gus is not stubborn. Look at the Alabama game in 2010. You'll see some major adjustments actually being made at the end of the second quarter where Auburn then was able to exploit the weaknesses of UA.

However, if you want to look at a game where you see the genius of Gus Malzahn look at the 2010 SEC Championship. He made South Carolina look downright weak on offense. The adjustments he made in that game, they were flat out incredible. There was more to that game than simply a lucky Hail Mary at the end of the 1st half. I'd take GM any day of the week over BP and twice on Tuesday.

Proven winner and the best man for the job at this point. I say get him locked in today and do the formal deal the day after the Iron Bowl. I know some people may object based on the character issues, but most of us have made stupid mistakes, especially when it comes to women. I am certainly not in a position to "cast the first stone." So I say hire him!

The thought of a proven criminal leading our football program doesn't make you want to throw up? Every TV broadcast leading with "Former disgraced Arkansas coach Bobby Patrino has been given another chance by

a desperate Auburn program" doesn't humiliate you a bit?

We CAN have both a winner and integrity, we don't have to settle for either/or.

Criminal?? When did he break the law?

Right now, the ISU fans love Auburn as we took the biggest problem off of their hands. Chizik seems to either be feast for famine. I'm not so sure somehow, someway, he won't have a lucky season somewhere else again. The thing about him, he does have a knack for making tremendous hires. The problem is that he also always has that head scratcher and he needs to learn to stop meddling with his coordinators.

Gus has a better offense than BP. His teams are not so one sided and he is always looking to adjust and improve. Petrino will get stubborn at times. Gus is not stubborn. Look at the Alabama game in 2010. You'll see some major adjustments actually being made at the end of the second quarter where Auburn then was able to exploit the weaknesses of UA.

However, if you want to look at a game where you see the genius of Gus Malzahn look at the 2010 SEC Championship. He made South Carolina look downright weak on offense. The adjustments he made in that game, they were flat out incredible. There was more to that game than simply a lucky Hail Mary at the end of the 1st half. I'd take GM any day of the week over BP and twice on Tuesday.

This. I have to say I'm on the Gus bus. Gus was, by far, the best coaching hire for Chizik. Chizik has lost the heart of the team. They have, flat out, quit on him. It's up to the HC to keep that from happening. It doesn't matter what happens from here on out. Chizik is gone and I wish him the best and thank him for the NC. Most fans were upset with the Chizik hire until he brought Gus on board.

Gus is going to be a big name head coach here soon. He wouldn't need much to transition back on offense. He coached most of the players that are here.

He would have work to do on defense. He would have to hire the best DC he could find and hand him the defense.

There are too many character issues with Petrino for me to even consider him. I felt that way before he ever crashed his motorcycle. It has been a repeating issue. He has the reputation for jumping ship for the next job and leaving everyone holding the bag.

Gus is a man of character and honor (as best as I can tell). He is an offensive genius. His players respect him. He tells it like it is. I would welcome this hire.

I understand your argument about Petrino and the teaching of the kids. However, my rebuttal would be that PARENTS should be teaching their kids right from wrong. If they are relying on coaches to teach their kids to be upstanding citizens, that is a problem with me. Coaches are paid to teach kids the skill and art of playing football. They are also paid to make sure these kids attend classes, and take their education seriously. Beyond that, kids need to take some ownership of doing the right things in life.

Look at Chizik, and all the off-the-field issues we are having. Drug use, drinking, suspensions, robberies, etc. 'Ol Gene isn't doing such a great job of teaching these kids to be fine, upstanding young men, in my opinion.

Archived