Petrino Discussions

TitanTiger

OK, let's assume......I know the meaning of assume, but lets get past this. OK, Bobby Petrino is named our new HC the day after the Iron Bowl, who do think would make a great DC and OC on Petrino's staff? My guess for OC would be Petrino's brother Paul. I would not have a problem whatsoever with him hiring his brother as OC. I guess 2 Petrinos is better than one with regard to offense. I would love to see one of Bob Stoops brothers filling the role as DC. I think that CBP would pretty much hire a proven DC, and would him run the defense without any micro-managing whatsoever. If I was a DC, I would love to work under BP in that I would be given tons of lattitude to run my defense.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Petrino is not the only guy out there that can coach winning football. He is, however, the only guy that has lied to his boss, broken the law, lied to the university by which he was employed, been fired by that university and is still seen as a desirable guy to fill an opening by a portion of Auburn's fan base.

A lot of people are selling AU short. We don't have to settle for either a crook or a winner, we can and will get a winner that's honest.

Odds of Patrino even sniffing an interview are zero anyway, so lets look at doc4aday's list above. I could be happy with 4, 10, or11.

Well said...

Petrino is not the only guy out there that can coach winning football. He is, however, the only guy that has lied to his boss, broken the law, lied to the university by which he was employed, been fired by that university and is still seen as a desirable guy to fill an opening by a portion of Auburn's fan base.

A lot of people are selling AU short. We don't have to settle for either a crook or a winner, we can and will get a winner that's honest.

Odds of Patrino even sniffing an interview are zero anyway, so lets look at doc4aday's list above. I could be happy with 4, 10, or11.

I think petrino has more than sniffed an interview. Don't be surprised when he is announced.

I think petrino has more than sniffed an interview. Don't be surprised when he is announced.

I think you might be the one who will be surprised if you are waiting on a Petrino hire at AU. Will not happen.

I think you might be the one who will be surprised if you are waiting on a Petrino hire at AU. Will not happen.

I'm not waiting on anything to happen. I'm just saying auburn is more likely to hire petrino then some would like to think

I love Auburn period. I will always love Auburn. If we hire Petrino I won't support the football team. His moral compass is too far from due north.

While Petrino has been shamed for several things that have come to light, I'm not too sure that he is much different than other hot shot head coaches. He's gotten caught, and that is a serious strike against him, but rich powerful men with big egos are pretty similar. I don't think Bob is as much of an outlier as you think.

I love Auburn period. I will always love Auburn. If we hire Petrino I won't support the football team. His moral compass is too far from due north.

While Petrino has been shamed for several things that have come to light, I'm not too sure that he is much different than other hot shot head coaches. He's gotten caught, and that is a serious strike against him, but rich powerful men with big egos are pretty similar. I don't think Bob is as much of an outlier as you think.

And to be clear, we want a rich powerful hot shot head coach to take the reins at Auburn.

If that is true then the PTB must have a sure fire homerun like Garry Patterson or someone even better lined up. Surely they can't be so dumb they would make another good ole boy type hire again. If they go from Chizik to some other 4 or 5 loss a season type coach like Jimbo Fisher then the reaction and empathy will be much stronger than it would be towards a proven winner like Bobby Petrino. Most AU fans no longer care if the coach goes to church on Sunday. We want a winner on Saturdays.

I would prefer a HC that also calls his own plays and runs his own offense. That way we are not looking for an OC every two or three years. We can have the same system in place for the life of the coach. This gets old having to watch the team change OC's every couple of years. The only guy that is available and does this is CBP. I know that he went and hired his brother last year, but if I were the AD, I would tell him to run his own offense. Also, I would get out of the 4 - 3 defense. I would go to the 3 - 4. It takes less D linemen to recruit.

I would prefer a HC that also calls his own plays and runs his own offense. That way we are not looking for an OC every two or three years. We can have the same system in place for the life of the coach. This gets old having to watch the team change OC's every couple of years. The only guy that is available and does this is CBP. I know that he went and hired his brother last year, but if I were the AD, I would tell him to run his own offense. Also, I would get out of the 4 - 3 defense. I would go to the 3 - 4. It takes less D linemen to recruit.

I agree about having an offensive minded coach. It is much easier to change defense coordinators and implement new schemes on that side of the ball than it is offense.

If that is true then the PTB must have a sure fire homerun like Garry Patterson or someone even better lined up. Surely they can't be so dumb they would make another good ole boy type hire again. If they go from Chizik to some other 4 or 5 loss a season type coach like Jimbo Fisher then the reaction and empathy will be much stronger than it would be towards a proven winner like Bobby Petrino. Most AU fans no longer care if the coach goes to church on Sunday. We want a winner on Saturdays.

Patterson was good in the Mountain West where they played a big team once or twice a year. He is most unimpressive coaching in the Big 12

You folks sound so confident that we will hire Petrino when the fact is there is only one BOT member that wants him right now. The BOT also doesn't want to split the fan base. Keep in mind if Scott Etheridge becomes the new AD as I think he will Petrino wont even be mentioned.

Petrino will not be the next HC at Auburn. Deal with it.

I don't mind if Petrino is not the next head coach. I do mind though if he is available and they hire another good ole boy or a yes man.

You folks sound so confident that we will hire Petrino when the fact is there is only one BOT member that wants him right now. The BOT also doesn't want to split the fan base. Keep in mind if Scott Etheridge becomes the new AD as I think he will Petrino wont even be mentioned.

There are more people who want Petrino among the Powers That Be than one BOT member.

Scott Etheridge?! Wow that would be a perfect example of friends getting friends jobs. Just like Petrino did at Arkansas and happens everywhere else all over the country every day. Another AU insider and yes man. Sad that is even being discussed.

There are more people who want Petrino among the Powers That Be than one BOT member.

Hmm not disagreeing with you but something probably has changed since I heard last...of course I always hear it last anyways. Thanks for the update Titan. Are you thinking what I am thinking on the AD position? And I think Etheridge would be a good hire because he is a no non sense person. He runs a multi million dollar company anyway.

Well, all of you people who do not want Petrino have never watched a game of football. Petrino is by far the best candidate out there that is AVAILABLE!! No one comes close to him in coaching ability. Gus Malzahn? I laugh at that, it backs up my hypothesis that most of you do not know anything about coaching. Patterson? As was mentioned earlier, he is now in a real conference, and you're seeing the results of that. I hope Auburn at least interviews Petrino for the job, or that would be a huge mistake. I am very glad that none of you are on coach searching committees, because the candidates you guys want are the typical Auburn hire. Auburn needs someone who has been totally different from the past. Petrino is the only "home run" hire that is available. To all of you Petrino haters, please just tell the truth: You do not like him because of his past and his character, that is why you are so against him. Anything else is just grasping at straws to hate him...

Hmm not disagreeing with you but something probably has changed since I heard last...of course I always hear it last anyways. Thanks for the update Titan. Are you thinking what I am thinking on the AD position? And I think Etheridge would be a good hire because he is a no non sense person. He runs a multi million dollar company anyway.

If I were placing odds, he'd be the favorite. But I think some would like to go outside the "Auburn man" network altogether and poach a good, experienced AD from another school.

Archived