Petrino Discussions

TitanTiger

why is it we can forgive david housel and not bobby p? bobby was asked to show up by the powers that be.........

Because to all appearances, Housel has expressed regret for what he was involved in and has kept his life between the white lines since then. Just a few months ago, Petrino was lying to his boss, the police, and the University of Arkansas and broke the law by hiring his girl friend to a subordinate position.

Housel changed after his mistake, Patrino did not.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Petrino is one of the very best college coaches in the country in my opinion. I think we would probably win with Petrino, and win a lot. However, we can win with other coaches too. And I would rather win the "right way" than with Petrino as the head coach. I know college football is big business and at the end of the day it's about winning. The university we all know and love should be concerned about winning, yes, but #1 about developing these young men into good people. Bobby Petrino just ain't the guy you want telling your son how to lead his life in an upstanding manner. If our school is going to only be concerned with winning football games by any means necessary, then we may as well not consider ourselves any different from the University of Alabama.

Like it or not, the head football coach at an SEC school (and most D-1 schools) is usually the most prominent figure representing the school. Is Bobby Petrino really the guy we want to be on TV representing Auburn University? It's not just what he did at Arkansas. It's what he did in Atlanta and Louisville. He's proven what kind of person he is over and over. I don't care how remorseful he is about his latest episode. He's a liar, a cheater, and a snake.

I understand your argument about Petrino and the teaching of the kids. However, my rebuttal would be that PARENTS should be teaching their kids right from wrong. If they are relying on coaches to teach their kids to be upstanding citizens, that is a problem with me. Coaches are paid to teach kids the skill and art of playing football. They are also paid to make sure these kids attend classes, and take their education seriously. Beyond that, kids need to take some ownership of doing the right things in life.

Look at Chizik, and all the off-the-field issues we are having. Drug use, drinking, suspensions, robberies, etc. 'Ol Gene is doing such a great job of teaching these kids to be fine, upstanding young men, in my opinion.

I agree that the parents of these kids and the kids themselves hold responsibility here. The head coach should also be a leader to these guys as well. I don't think Petrino is that guy. And I totally agree with you about Chiz. I don't think he's doing a great job in that department either.

Petrino is one of the very best college coaches in the country in my opinion. I think we would probably win with Petrino, and win a lot. However, we can win with other coaches too. And I would rather win the "right way" than with Petrino as the head coach. I know college football is big business and at the end of the day it's about winning. The university we all know and love should be concerned about winning, yes, but #1 about developing these young men into good people. Bobby Petrino just ain't the guy you want telling your son how to lead his life in an upstanding manner. If our school is going to only be concerned with winning football games by any means necessary, then we may as well not consider ourselves any different from the University of Alabama.

Like it or not, the head football coach at an SEC school (and most D-1 schools) is usually the most prominent figure representing the school. Is Bobby Petrino really the guy we want to be on TV representing Auburn University? It's not just what he did at Arkansas. It's what he did in Atlanta and Louisville. He's proven what kind of person he is over and over. I don't care how remorseful he is about his latest episode. He's a liar, a cheater, and a snake.

You forgot one thing about Petrino, he wins. A lot.

I want a head coach running our football team, not some church youth minister.

I didn't forget that. I said that in the very first line. He's not the only coach out there that can win though.

I understand your argument about Petrino and the teaching of the kids. However, my rebuttal would be that PARENTS should be teaching their kids right from wrong. If they are relying on coaches to teach their kids to be upstanding citizens, that is a problem with me. Coaches are paid to teach kids the skill and art of playing football. They are also paid to make sure these kids attend classes, and take their education seriously. Beyond that, kids need to take some ownership of doing the right things in life.

Exactly. I'm not the biggest Petrino fan either and I'd rather not have him as my coach because of his personal issues, but we're hiring a guy to coach our football team and win. Petrino can win and he can definitely coach an offense. He may not be the model citizen but he doesn't have to be. Hiring Petrino won't make me cheer any less for my University. One coach does not define what Auburn is about. Every player is smart enough to know the difference between right and wrong. If they're not, then they shouldn't have a scholarship to a university like Auburn because they would seem to have other problems.

why is it we can forgive david housel and not bobby p? bobby was asked to show up by the powers that be.........

Because to all appearances, Housel has expressed regret for what he was involved in and has kept his life between the white lines since then. Just a few months ago, Petrino was lying to his boss, the police, and the University of Arkansas and broke the law by hiring his girl friend to a subordinate position.

Housel remained the AD at Auburn until 2005 when he retired, almost 2 years after the JetGate incident. We forgave him almost immediately and named the press box after him that fall.

Housel changed after his mistake, Patrino did not.

So far it appears that Petrino has changed since his downfall, both in the ESPN interview from a couple of months ago and from some info I've heard from people who know him personally. He didn't really do anything wrong in meeting with AU officials other than not tell his AD at L'ville ahead of time. And that is something that goes on across the board with coaches. Virtually everyone of them has entertained overtures from bigger jobs either directly or through their agents without bothering to tell their current boss.

So far it appears that Petrino has changed since his downfall, both in the ESPN interview from a couple of months ago and from some info I've heard from people who know him personally. He didn't really do anything wrong in meeting with AU officials other than not tell his AD at L'ville ahead of time. And that is something that goes on across the board with coaches. Virtually everyone of them has entertained overtures from bigger jobs either directly or through their agents without bothering to tell their current boss.

I don't know about the rest of these guys, but I've never told a current employer that I was actively looking elsewhere.

I don't know about the rest of these guys, but I've never told a current employer that I was actively looking elsewhere.

Me either. I've never told any employer that I was interviewing elsewhere, even if all I did was listen to someone make a pitch for me to come over without me actively soliciting it.

SIAP, but has it ever been proven that Petrino knew that the board of trustees at Auburn were going behind Tuberville's back? Is it possible that Petrino was just interested in getting the job, and thought he was going through the interview process like any normal, potential employee would? I see that everyone assumes that Petrino knew this was a shady deal, and was all for screwing Tubbs over.

SIAP, but has it ever been proven that Petrino knew that the board of trustees at Auburn were going behind Tuberville's back? Is it possible that Petrino was just interested in getting the job, and thought he was going through the interview process like any normal, potential employee would? I see that everyone assumes that Petrino knew this was a shady deal, and was all for screwing Tubbs over.

I have a theory and it goes that the main thing that saved xCTTs job was not the exposure of Jetgate, but rather the exposure combined with beating Alabama that turned it. Had we lost that year to a 4-9 Bama squad (and the game was closer than it should have been), no one would have cared that the trustees had a popular replacement already lined up for him.

I imagine Petrino knew it was being kept quiet. Just like employees interview for other jobs in secret, sometimes employers put out feelers for replacements if they anticipate firing someone high up in the chain.

I get everyone's problem with Petrino's situation at Arkansas. That situation certainly gives me pause. However, I think many make much ado about nothing concerning his involvement in JetGate, and his departures from Louisville and the Falcons. If a bunch of Auburn power-brokers want to come wine-and-dine me while offering a job, I would listen. So would all of you. I sincerely doubt that he sent them a resume, begging them to oust Tuberville and hire him.

He made his mark at Louisville. He stayed there for four years, and made them relevant. No one thought he was going to stay there, including Louisville. That's what hot coaches do, they move up. So he goes to the Falcons, and leaves before the season is out. We don't know the facts of his time in Atlanta, but we do know that he wasn't succeeding. Maybe he didn't get along with the staff, maybe he didn't get along with the management. He wasn't happy, obviously, and Arkansas wanted a head coach. Back to the college game he went, which is where he seemed to fit best anyway. Why did he owe the players more than a note announcing his departure? They are multi-millionaire grown men. I doubt they lost any sleep over it. It's not like he was there for a decade and forged meaningful relationships with all of them. No one expects the president of a nearly billion dollar company to personally address the employees when he leaves. They get a memo.

Tuberville publicly stated "They'll have to carry me out of here in a pine box" in reference to Ole Miss. Two days later, he came here. Why is that acceptable, but Petrino moving around is not? Tuberville's statement didn't bother me, and neither did any of Petrino's actions prior to that Arkansas mess. The man isn't a complete idiot, he knows the spotlight will be on what he does, wherever he goes.

He made his mark at Louisville. He stayed there for four years, and made them relevant. No one thought he was going to stay there, including Louisville. That's what hot coaches do, they move up. So he goes to the Falcons, and leaves before the season is out. We don't know the facts of his time in Atlanta, but we do know that he wasn't succeeding. Maybe he didn't get along with the staff, maybe he didn't get along with the management. He wasn't happy, obviously, and Arkansas wanted a head coach. Back to the college game he went, which is where he seemed to fit best anyway. Why did he owe the players more than a note announcing his departure? They are multi-millionaire grown men. I doubt they lost any sleep over it. It's not like he was there for a decade and forged meaningful relationships with all of them. No one expects the president of a nearly billion dollar company to personally address the employees when he leaves. They get a memo.

The Falcons job Petrino ended up with was very different from the one he signed on for. He was taking a team many felt was underachieving but had plenty of talent, most notably Michael Vick and was expected to groom him into a real NFL QB instead of just an athlete playing the position. Then the dogfighting thing went down and the season spiraled down the tubes. Suddenly with 3 games left he was presented a chance at a head coaching job at an SEC school, but there was a compressed time limit. He had to make up his mind quickly or Arkansas was going to pull the trigger on its next choice. He bungled the departure for sure. But the fact that he left in and of itself shouldn't be that big a deal.

I am not very please with the prospect of Petrino coming on board. But from what I know of wallace he would be a terror in petrino's offense.

Bingo!

Petrino would be a terror in the Auburn Family. Division is not what we need right now.

Petrino wanted the Auburn job back when he was an OC here........He has wanted the Auburn job for ever. He see's the benefits of our facilities, recruiting ability and following. He would be a full to get a top collegiate coaching job and to mess it up. Arkansas and Louisville are NOT good programs regardless....and he turned them into winners. He could recruit his needs MUCH better at Auburn and provide substantial turn arounds everywhere offensively. Keeping someone like van gorder on defense would be good and from there it is just a matter of scoring points and smiling.

I am not ignorant to the fact that Petrino has obvious personal faults. Then again, who doesn't? His just managed to come out. I believe if Auburn placed certain rules and restrictions on him and forced all hires to be reviewed by a non biased individual for conflict review.....he would be a very good hire for Auburn. It would be silly to turn him away at this point. He is the best coach available and the only way we snag one that isn't available is if we drop some SERIOUS coin....and honestly, I just don't know of many (any actually) coaches that have the SEC (more importantly SEC W) ability that he does with such crummy talent available.

I get everyone's problem with Petrino's situation at Arkansas. That situation certainly gives me pause. However, I think many make much ado about nothing concerning his involvement in JetGate, and his departures from Louisville and the Falcons. If a bunch of Auburn power-brokers want to come wine-and-dine me while offering a job, I would listen. So would all of you. I sincerely doubt that he sent them a resume, begging them to oust Tuberville and hire him.

Tuberville publicly stated "They'll have to carry me out of here in a pine box" in reference to Ole Miss. Two days later, he came here. Why is that acceptable, but Petrino moving around is not? Tuberville's statement didn't bother me, and neither did any of Petrino's actions prior to that Arkansas mess. The man isn't a complete idiot, he knows the spotlight will be on what he does, wherever he goes.

I agree with you almost entirely. I don't blame Petrino for Jetgate. That falls on the AU administration at the time for being underhanded. Petrino listening to them is what all of us do when checking out the job market and opportunities to improve our life. I work in IT, if Google called me tomorrow and asked me to sit down with them to discuss a potential job, I wouldn't tell my current employer.

Petrino would be a terror in the Auburn Family. Division is not what we need right now.

There's going to be division no matter what.

And that division would heal pretty quick once the wins started and AU started being dominant.

Petrino wanted the Auburn job back when he was an OC here........He has wanted the Auburn job for ever. He see's the benefits of our facilities, recruiting ability and following. He would be a full to get a top collegiate coaching job and to mess it up. Arkansas and Louisville are NOT good programs regardless....and he turned them into winners. He could recruit his needs MUCH better at Auburn and provide substantial turn arounds everywhere offensively. Keeping someone like van gorder on defense would be good and from there it is just a matter of scoring points and smiling.

I am not ignorant to the fact that Petrino has obvious personal faults. Then again, who doesn't? His just managed to come out. I believe if Auburn placed certain rules and restrictions on him and forced all hires to be reviewed by a non biased individual for conflict review.....he would be a very good hire for Auburn. It would be silly to turn him away at this point. He is the best coach available and the only way we snag one that isn't available is if we drop some SERIOUS coin....and honestly, I just don't know of many (any actually) coaches that have the SEC (more importantly SEC W) ability that he does with such crummy talent available.

Plus, he is available immediately. All other names on our "short list" would have to wait until January, which is way too long to keep our recruits in the dark. Petrino could evaluate our staff over the next few weeks, and decide who he would want to interview for potential position coaches/coordinators. The recruits could be informed of what is happening, and they could then make their decisions to stay or look elsewhere. We would still have time to recruit some new players, in the event that current ones leave us. Any of our offensive targets would be ecstatic to play for Petrino. If he keeps BVG, our defensive commits/targets should stick with us.

Asking a 17-18 year old kid to hold out until mid-January to know who he will be playing for is unrealistic, and would only backfire on us in a big way! Plus, what if we hold out for Strong, Fedora, Patterson, or one of those other names I've seen kicked around, only to have them turn us down for one reason or another???? Stranger things have happened. Then where are we? Petrino will already be hired up by then.

There's going to be division no matter what.

And that division would heal pretty quick once the wins started and AU started being dominant.

True, and the hire will have much more support than the Chizik hire did from the start.

Disclaimer: I am not on the fire Gene Chizik bandwagon, but the writing certainly appears to be on the wall after the debacle Saturday night, so I've been thinking about who we should go after. A couple of coaches that come to my mind are Paul Rhoads and Larry Fedora. Of course, hiring Rhoads would make the Iowa State fans hate us the way we hated Texas for taking our DCs.

Is Paul Rhodes interested in cleaning up another Gene Chizik mess of a team? I have no idea, but Rhodes is familiar with the SEC, and he knows how important winning football is in this state. Larry Fedora's name has been brought up a few times, I don't know much about him.

Archived