Will CGM retain Trooper to lock in this class?

dcafd4au

While his development of the WR's might be up for debate the guy is an absolute beast on the recruiting trail. I think he could be crucial to compete for the best spread players vs. Tamu, Clemson, and the like. Guy is worth his salary in the recruiting world to me. Thoughts?

If we can retain him in the capacity of strictly recruiting then yes. If he has to be a position coach I'm unsure. I would hate to lose some of our better recruits because we didn't retain him but at the same time I'd like for a 4 star WR to live up to the hype during their tenure at AU.

Yes, if Gus thinks he needs to keep Trooper to lock in this particular class, he should do it. That goes for BVG too. This class has the "potential" to be that good. I would put Trooper in a recruiting role but not necessarily as a position coach. Coaches can always be adjusted in the future if it becomes necessary.

Our wr's haven't been a problem since he has been here and he can recruit with anybody in the country. If he isn't retained then I think it says something.

We've had multiple receiving recruits not pan out.

I think there are underachievers at every position. I am ok with him as wr coach or otherwise. I am curious to see if he is retained(and I hope he is) but, I wonder if there is anything to the whispers about him being a devisive faction on the team this year or culpable in the nc2a query.

Our wr's haven't been a problem since he has been here and he can recruit with anybody in the country. If he isn't retained then I think it says something.

There have been a few not pan out the way we expected, but if your'e using that logic then we have to look at the recieving recruits that have. Emory Blake wasn't a bigtime recruit and he ended up pretty good IMO. Look at Darvin, T Zach, and especially Kodi Burns in 2009 and 10, all were virtually unknown until he came in, included Kodi switching from qb. I could be wrong but I would think that requires coaching myself. Besides Benton, I don't really remember seeing alot of drops from anybody. And all of the recievers are great blockers, something that these kids in high school don't normally have to worry about because they are normally the star player in high school.

I'm not saying he is a great coach, but I don't think he is a bad one at all. Can't blame the recievers if the qb can't get them the ball or the o line can't give the qb enough time to find them.

Trooper isn't a bad coach. I think his problem is that he just hasn't had good enough qb play for his wr's. It's not like he wasn't a good receivers coach before coming to auburn because he's put several wr's into the nfl.

He had a few wr's from tulane go to the nfl.

Dez Bryant

Robert Meachem

There have been a few not pan out the way we expected, but if your'e using that logic then we have to look at the recieving recruits that have. Emory Blake wasn't a bigtime recruit and he ended up pretty good IMO. Look at Darvin, T Zach, and especially Kodi Burns in 2009 and 10, all were virtually unknown until he came in, included Kodi switching from qb. I could be wrong but I would think that requires coaching myself. Besides Benton, I don't really remember seeing alot of drops from anybody. And all of the recievers are great blockers, something that these kids in high school don't normally have to worry about because they are normally the star player in high school.

I'm not saying he is a great coach, but I don't think he is a bad one at all. Can't blame the recievers if the qb can't get them the ball or the o line can't give the qb enough time to find them.

Blake was a 4* recruit...

Yes, he was, on rivals at least, but he was a low 4 star from Texas who wasn't recruited (to my knowledge) by UT, TAMU, or Oklahoma, and he was 3 stars on at least scout (not sure about any other sites). Not dissing him at all, just making the point.

Yes, he was, on rivals at least, but he was a low 4 star from Texas who wasn't recruited (to my knowledge) by UT, TAMU, or Oklahoma, and he was 3 stars on at least scout (not sure about any other sites). Not dissing him at all, just making the point.

Yeah I gotcha. It's really a mixed bag with overachievers like Darvin Adams and underachievers like Benton and, to a lesser extent, Trovon Reed.

Back to the original point though... Just for argument's sake, I feel like if there was one position where you could hide a coach that was a great recruiter but a poor coach it would be at WR. I feel like WR is one of the more raw positions based on speed, quickness, talent, etc. No doubt, there are things to be learned at every position but a talented but raw WR can get away with a lot more than a talented OL with poor technique, for example. All that to say, I'd keep Trooper even if we knew for sure he wasn't the strongest at player development.

Deangelo Benton and Trevon Reed are the only two to not live up to their potential and Reed still has a couple of years to make a difference. Does anyone remember how many dropped passes we used to have? Trooper, Luper, and Thigpen are all worth keeping; if you don't know them personally you really shouldn't be trashing them because these three are good guys. I'm not sure if Thigpen is a great coach but he is our best recruiter for sure. It's my understanding that he gets put on the recruits who are conflicted between us and Bama. My money is on those three staying.

Whether any of these guys are retained depends on whether they were part of the "culture" problem or not. Gus is in a position to know. No doubt they can recruit and I think their coaching is ok, but there must be BIG changes in the attitude in and around the Auburn team.

If they can be part of the solution, keep 'em and if they are part of the problem, let 'em go because if the attitudes of the past two years remain unchanged we won't win and it doesn't matter who we recruit.

Whether any of these guys are retained depends on whether they were part of the "culture" problem or not. Gus is in a position to know. No doubt they can recruit and I think their coaching is ok, but there must be BIG changes in the attitude in and around the Auburn team.

If they can be part of the solution, keep 'em and if they are part of the problem, let 'em go because if the attitudes of the past two years remain unchanged we won't win and it doesn't matter who we recruit.

Completely agree, Mikey. I've heard mixed messages about whether Gus will be given free reign to make these decisions. That sounds crazy -- I just wouldn't expect him to take the job if he didn't have that control. Do you, or does anyone, know about this?

Also with Blake something that must be remembered. He grew up in an NFL household. That kid has been running routes and catching balls his entire life. I don't know what to think about CTT at this point. His WR's have been an enigma to me.

Completely agree, Mikey. I've heard mixed messages about whether Gus will be given free reign to make these decisions. That sounds crazy -- I just wouldn't expect him to take the job if he didn't have that control. Do you, or does anyone, know about this?

Common sense says the head coach will fill the assistant positions. Technically, all of the assistants have been fired (put on notice of pending termination). If nothing happens, they won't be around much longer. If Gus wants any of them, he will have to officially re-hire them because as of now they are goners.

Mikey, do you know that for a fact? I only ask because multiple coaches on the staff have multi-year deals. From a legal perspective, it seems unlikely to me that Auburn would terminate those contracts (which is a breach and likely triggers early payout) only to re-hire the same people. I'm sure the guys on one-year deals have been given notice of non-renewal, but I question whether any action has been taken for the multi-year guys or whether any action will be taken until the final termination/retention decisions are made.

According to what are now multiple published sources they have all been terminated, as I wrote here earlier.. They may ask to interview if they'd like to continue at AU. The details of any buyouts are apparently not a concern.

IF I had to guess, Trooper will not be re-hired as a WR coach, but as a recruiting coordinator of some sort.

IF I had to guess, Trooper will not be re-hired as a WR coach, but as a recruiting coordinator of some sort.

That would be the best of both worlds in my mind.

There can be only nine assistant coaches. Every recruiting coordinator I know of is also a position coach. Examples: Luper at AU, Craig at FSU, Garner at UGA. There simply aren't enough slots available to let somebody have the luxury of only being a recruiting coordinator.

There is a lot of talk this AM that TT will be back. I will tell you the players love him, and the recruits love him.

Unless he's been picked up already by somebody and I missed it, Joker Phillips would be a great fit in multiple areas as an assistant on this staff IMO.

Unless he's been picked up already by somebody and I missed it, Joker Phillips would be a great fit in multiple areas as an assistant on this staff IMO.

Florida snatched him up.

Archived