Malzahn on Sirius College Radio

Chaotic_zx

Synopsis:

"We're going to smooth get after it"

"We're going to get back to hard nosed fundamentals"

"We're going to get that edge back"

Asked about all the good coaches and teams in the SEC West: "Yeah there are good coaches and players but Auburn is pretty special too"

Geez this Gus Malzahn guy is everywhere on the media lately. You think he was some head coach or something. lol jk. I am glad he is getting our name out there and hopefully recruits listen up.

Different interview, I think, but he was on with Scarbo and Griffin in bham. I didn't hear the interview but these are some of the comments from Scarbo's tweets (from memory):

He felt he needed to put his stamp on the program - get a fresh start.

Wants to have staff in place by first official visit weekend in Jan.

On losing commitments: Two-way street. They are evaluating us and we are evaluating them.

Has traded phone messages with CGC since the transition. Will catch up after the holidays.

Trying to shore up some positions ASAP. One way to do that is through JUCO ranks.

"I can promise you this, we will have discipline in this program - on and off the field"

Had dinner with Gus and Kristi (along with 198 other Auburn family) on Monday evening. It's great to have him back from a person to person standpoint.

If he was asked once it was a hundred......will we be disciplined and will we be better in the weight room? I asked him if he truly thought we would compete each and every game on the schedule and he said the challenge will be at the guard spots and on defense. Especially the DL and the new 4-2-5.

The SEC West just became the best football conference in the world my friend!

Had dinner with Gus and Kristi (along with 198 other Auburn family) on Monday evening. It's great to have him back from a person to person standpoint.

If he was asked once it was a hundred......will we be disciplined and will we be better in the weight room? I asked him if he truly thought we would compete each and every game on the schedule and he said the challenge will be at the guard spots and on defense. Especially the DL and the new 4-2-5.

Pretty forthcoming, I'd say. No coachspeak there!

Pretty refreshing, isn't it?

It is. I like it.

It is. I like it.

You don't like a good week of practice?

If old Gus has half as much cattle as he's got hat we will be in good shape.

Great quote.

It is. I like it.

I hope that's what Gus says -- with a wink -- in his first presser of fall practice.

No question about it!

No question about it!

:clap::laugh:

It is. I like it.

I hope that's what Gus says -- with a wink -- in his first presser of fall practice.

No. Please. No.

I liked Gus as our OC but was not thrilled when he was hired. Since his hiring however I have been more and more impressed. He cleaned house which was the right thing to do (hated to see Yox go but I understood why he did it). His hires have been quite good to excellent. The biggest surprise to me has been his powers of communication. He holds his head up and speaks in clear and concise language. He is obviously intelligent. The "no one will work harder than us" line in his introduction speech was so very important to the fans. Don't think that this was not calculated. His manner is that of a leader and is quite infectious. Don't let it escape notice that many top-line coaches have been trying to pry Rodney Garner out of Georgia for 15 years but Gus, as a 1 year head coach was able to do it. We can only hope this manner is as engaging to players and recruits. Ultimately, like any hire, his stock will be valued primarily by wins and losses. We will see. But I sure like to think we may be seeing the next big one beginning his head coaching career.

I wish I had heard the interview myself. I know some have asked if Gus was mean enough for the job. I always thought Gus' personality was a combo of Spurrier & Petrino. All three are demanding of their players and never stop attacking a defense going for the kill. I would really enjoy seeing us put people away for a change and have less drama in the 4th quarter.

War Eagle !

I wish I had heard the interview myself. I know some have asked if Gus was mean enough for the job. I always thought Gus' personality was a combo of Spurrier & Petrino. All three are demanding of their players and never stop attacking a defense going for the kill. I would really enjoy seeing us put people away for a change and have less drama in the 4th quarter.

War Eagle !

Before our bowl victory over Northwestern in 2009, an Auburn player was chuckling about how all (then OC) Gus Malzahn thinks about is football. He said the team was at some pre-bowl festivities and all Gus would talk about was football schemes and hypotheticals. So much that nobody wanted to hang with him during "down time". That to me's memorable insight into the man, he's being paid a ton of money to do what he loves doing anyway and can do 24/7/365. In short, he's a football geek.

Archived