SEC Baseball Tournament Expands

WarTiger

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. -- The Southeastern Conference has altered the format and expanded the field for its annual baseball tournament, SEC Commissioner Mike Slive announced today.

The 2013 SEC Baseball Tournament, which will be held in Hoover, Ala., at the Hoover Metropolitan Stadium for the 16th consecutive year, will increase from 10 to 12 teams and will begin on Tuesday, May 21. Seeds 5-12 will meet in a single elimination format on the opening day of the tournament, followed by traditional double-elimination play Wednesday-Friday. The tournament will return to single elimination play on Saturday. The total number of games played will not change, remaining at 17.

The 12 teams are seeded 1-12 with the two divisional champions and top four seeds guaranteed opening-round byes, with the possibility of earning another bye later in the bracket. The tournament field will include the top teams from the SEC’s Eastern and Western Divisions plus 10 at-large bids seeded 3-12 based on conference winning percentage.

A team from the SEC Tournament has advanced to five consecutive National Championship Series in Omaha, winning three NCAA titles during that span (LSU 2009; South Carolina 2010 and 2011). Over 100 first-round picks in the Major League Baseball Draft have played in SEC Tournament since 1991.

Tickets for the 2013 SEC Baseball Tournament will go on sale in February.

The 2012 SEC Baseball Tournament drew 129,112 fans to The Hoover Met, a new record-high for the event. Seven times in the last 10 years the tournament has surpassed the six-digit mark in total attendance. The SEC is scheduled to keep its baseball tournament in Hoover through 2016.

2013 SEC Tournament Bracket

Tuesday, May 21

Game 1 9:30 a.m. #6 Seed vs. #11 Seed [TBA TV]

Game 2 TBD #7 Seed vs. #10 Seed [TBA TV]

Game 3 4:30 p.m. #8 Seed vs. #9 Seed [TBA TV]

Game 4 TBD #5 Seed vs. #12 Seed [TBA TV]

Wednesday, May 22

Game 5 9:30 a.m. #3 Seed vs. Winner Game 1 [TBA TV]

Game 6 TBD #2 Seed vs. Winner Game 2 [TBA TV]

Game 7 4:30 p.m. #1 Seed vs. Winner Game 3 [TBA TV]

Game 8 TBD #4 Seed vs. Winner Game 4 [TBA TV]

Thursday, May 23

Game 9 9:30 a.m. Loser Game 5 vs. Loser Game 6 [TBA TV]

Game 10 TBD Loser Game 7 vs. Loser Game 8 [TBA TV]

Game 11 4:30 p.m. Winner Game 5 vs. Winner Game 6 [TBA TV]

Game 12 TBD Winner Game 7 vs. Winner Game 8 [TBA TV]

Friday, May 24

Game 13 3:00 p.m. Winner Game 9 vs. Loser Game 11 [TBA TV]

Game 14 TBD Winner Game 10 vs. Loser 12 [TBA TV]

Saturday, May 25

Game 15 Noon Winner Game 13 vs. Winner Game 11 [TBA TV]

Game 16 TBD Winner Game 14 vs. Winner Game 12 [TBA TV]

Sunday, May 26

Game 17 TBD Winner Game 15 vs. Winner Game 16 [TBA TV]

All Times Central

This is somewhat stupid. Just have all the teams in the tournament. Making the tournament doesn't mean anything as far as NCAA post season.

Agree....once you get to 12....what's the difference in letting all teams in and just seed based on the records. Or another thing would be to have a Divisional playoff with double elimination and then finals at Hoover or somewhere that could handle a crowd.

None the less, now that the NCAA is based on the overall season, the SEC tourney isn't that big a deal except for a few teams that might be ont he bubble and even the best teams don't seem to take it too seriously.

Gotta' hand it to the conference for believing they should have at least 12 teams in the NCAA regionals every year (to which I would agree). But if so, this tournament means VERY little as has already been pointed out. Without looking at the actual bracket, I would assume the top 6 teams could play in fewer games (going undefeated?) to win the SEC tournament than last year.

• 2 weeks later...

I note that we are not playing tourneys away from home this year...I enjoyed the games in Charleston for example. I expect the expanded conference with games to Texas and Missouri are stretching the budget....which is probably why no games to Ariz either.

With the season loaded with home games, we ought to start about 15-0 this year....and even get Vandy at home to start the SEC season. But with RPI being a factor, we will be out of sight in the rankings until we win a bunch of SEC games...no matter what our record.

The conference looks tough again as usual so maybe with some wins over the top teams we might get our RPI up to the point that we can get into the NCAA....but it's likely to take at least three wins in the SEC tourney to do it.

Paw has been a disappointment to me. He had a good record in SC and managed to get a smaller program into the national limelight but seems like he forgot everything he knew when he got here. Game time coaching has been awful as noted. I'm hoping they improve on the basic fundamentals...seems the talent is there but AU has been very imaginative in finding ways to lose games the past couple seasons.

So...."play ball ! "

Archived