Spread Offense in the SEC

StatTiger

Let's not forget concerning the Chris Todd thought vss the SEC, that a team also has a defense. What was our defense like that year? I can't remember.

No, it wasn't that bad but you have to remember even in 2010 Auburn's defense gave up 34 to kentucky....How good is that? ya think Chris Todd wins that game?

Can't say. A qb can have a hot day as well as a cold day. Speculation is never good science. I'm just saying that the defense has to help out for a team to be successful and it seems according to the thread that we were/are seeing only the offense. If we had not shut down the bammers in 2010 w/ the defense, 28 points would not have been enough, even w/ super Cam.

Its hard to imagine we're calling giving up 27 as shutting a team down, which only serves on the side of my point. Auburn wont win many games scoring 21 or less points.

The shutdown came in the second half. Remember?

Sure do but a game is 2 halves. Cam Newton put Auburn on his back that day. The defense rose to the occasion in the 2nd half but, had Auburn not gotten it done offensively it wouldn't have mattered!

2 halves? When did they start that?

I agree that the offense had to do their part. That is what I've been saying! Please note the light-hearted sarcasm as follows: You see, the objective in any football game is for your offense to score points when it is on the field and your defensive objective is to prevent points from being scored by the other team. If you can accomplish this, chances are you win the game. That is why I say a defense has to be present to win also.

By the way, the defense wasn't the only side of the ball to show up in the second half of the 2010 bammer game.

I remember a 3-2 game against Miss St. where only the defense showed up, apparently!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

its true...it takes a team to win games and both the offense and the defense have their jobs to do. I think this thread had taken a tack concerning the need for a mobile athletic QB for Gus's offense to reach it's optimum level of effectiveness. That game in Tuscaloosa in 2010 probably makes that case as well if not better than most that come to mind.

I haen't thought about the officials and replay before but that is part of it. I think one reason Saban and some ofhers don't like it is the effect it has on their defense by reducing subsitutions and the pace wears ghem out.

its true...it takes a team to win games and both the offense and the defense have their jobs to do. I think this thread had taken a tack concerning the need for a mobile athletic QB for Gus's offense to reach it's optimum level of effectiveness. That game in Tuscaloosa in 2010 probably makes that case as well if not better than most that come to mind.

I agree to a point. I don't know if "need" is the right word. I'm sure you would "prefer" a mobile qb in that offense. You can't have a "statue" in any offense and expect good things to happen always. But a sound offensive line, coupled with an agile qb can be deadly with Gus' offense. Again, the 2010 team. If you have a lights out offensive line and great running backs, along with a A- qb or maybe even a B rated qb, you might have optimum effect with HUNH. But I could be off base as I haven't seen that type of offense yet. I would like to see what a Bo Jackson, Joe Cribbs type rb could do in that offense. I think we can agree that to have a magical year, you need players on both sides of the ball along with some above average players at some key positions.

I wonder though, how much does this type of offense make a superstar out of an average qb? Surely it raises his level of play.

I agree to a point. I don't know if "need" is the right word. I'm sure you would "prefer" a mobile qb in that offense. You can't have a "statue" in any offense and expect good things to happen always. But a sound offensive line, coupled with an agile qb can be deadly with Gus' offense. Again, the 2010 team. If you have a lights out offensive line and great running backs, along with a A- qb or maybe even a B rated qb, you might have optimum effect with HUNH. But I could be off base as I haven't seen that type of offense yet. I would like to see what a Bo Jackson, Joe Cribbs type rb could do in that offense. I think we can agree that to have a magical year, you need players on both sides of the ball along with some above average players at some key positions.

I wonder though, how much does this type of offense make a superstar out of an average qb? Surely it raises his level of play.

Super star? I dont think it makes a super star out of any average QBs. Have you forgotten what the Trotter/Moseley year looked like?

Taking SEC games only from 2000-2012, here is an offensive comparison of spread offenses vs. traditional offenses in conference games only.

Points per game: Spread (27.9 PPG) / Traditional (23.4 PPG)

Yards per game: Spread (381.8 YPG) / Traditional (348.4 YPG)

Yards per play: Spread (5.63) / Traditional (5.23)

Rushing: Spread (181.2 YPG) / Traditional (142.8 YPG)

Rushing per carry: Spread (4.47 YPC) / Traditional (3.88 YPC)

Passing Yards: Traditional (205.6 YPG) / Spread (200.6 YPG)

Yards per pass attempt: Spread (7.35 per att) / Traditional (6.89 per att)

Pass Efficiency: Spread (132.9) / Traditional (121.7)

I'd be really interested in seeing 1st Downs, 3rd Down Conversion %, and Red Zone TD % (Sputter Factor) ...and these numbers with Johnny Aggie and Cam Newton taken out of the equation :D/>

Nice Work Stat :thumbsup:/> :we:/>

its true...it takes a team to win games and both the offense and the defense have their jobs to do. I think this thread had taken a tack concerning the need for a mobile athletic QB for Gus's offense to reach it's optimum level of effectiveness. That game in Tuscaloosa in 2010 probably makes that case as well if not better than most that come to mind. or

QB

Blue, I promise I won't keep agreeing with you but you could not be more correct. You could try but would not succeed. QB mobility is necessary in this offense. What that also means is you better have more than one in the pipeline because they will get hit and hit. As much of a stud as Cam was he was looking pretty beat up by the end of the year. The other element which has not been mentioned (I don't think) is perimeter blocking which we did very well in 2010 and not as well in 2011. Right now Wallace is the starter and I think he will be a step up from what Gus had in 2009 or 2011 because of his mobility.

Super star? I dont think it makes a super star out of any average QBs. Have you forgotten what the Trotter/Moseley year looked like?

Sorry, I've been out of pocket for awhile since my last response. I didn't say make a superstar out of EVERY avg qb. But there would be some avg qbs who would flourish in this offense, I'm sure. Just as EVERY superstar qb recruit doesn't pan out in the college game. Now I guess we have to come to terms with what is meant by the word "optimum" in your previous statement. What is good offensive output? Scoring? Wins? YPG? YPP?

Sounds like you want to "skew" the stats. To be fair, you have to exclude the "great" traditional offense QB's also. Which leads me to this... Exactly what is a traditional offense "today"? What kind of offense does Alabama, Georgia and LSU incorporate? Alabama uses spread elements along with many sets from the pistol & shotgun. At times the have flirted with the wildcat.

Then again... Maybe, just maybe, the spread formation offenses is what made Cam, Tebow and Johnny so great, better than what they actually are.

It's funny watching the "spread"..........when I ran the wishbone and also veer offenses where you make the same basic reads. The reason Johnny Football's offense is so good is very very easy to analyze.

1. He is quicker than anyone on defense.

2. He throws short accurately.

3. He ain't stupid.....he runs faster when bigger guys get close to him

he is making the same reads i made many years ago; but I was too slow, inaccurate, and proved to be stupid many times over lol the spread like any other offense works great with the right personnel!

If I had my own offense to run, it would be called the spread, or the upper-middle aged spread anyway.

Must admit,

I've become more offensive with age

You can call it what ever you want, but the only thing new about any play in the so called spread offense is the speed at which they run the plays. It's designed to limit defensive subs and exaust the defenders on the field. It's quite effective. As for the plays and formations not one of them is somthing new. so to call it a spread is a serious flaw in understanding as to what the team is doing.

All levels of football are runing the so called spread. and all teams run plays that most people think are "Spread" plays. streaching the Defense out across the filed is nothing new. It's been going on since the game has bee played. What makes it special enough to call it by another name is the idiots on ESPN that can't fathom that the speed at which the offense runs plays or the fact that the QB has more run plays, designed or otherwise, that aren't the usual hide behind the line and dive for a yard.

There is nothing new here. Even in the pro's there have been elements of this style of football being used for years. Now that teams like the Redskins, and unrealized to most teams like the Patriots, are using more college type formations people are nieve enough to think it's new. It's not. football was in a rut for years with the 3 yards and a cloud of dust. All it has taken is for some coaching brillance to make use of what was already there. Most if not all went in to the "Hurry up" offense within 2 mins of the end of the game. Now they drop in to it from time to time earlier in the game and all of a sudden it's the "Spread". College teams run it the whole game and now it's calle the "Spread".

Any way you put it, there is nothing new about it. It's just used all game long instead of just in the last few mins of a game.

Thanks for the info Stat. As always great insite to the actual breakdown of numbers.

This X 100. And the speed at which they run plays isn't particularly new, either, it just used to be called the 2 minute offense instead of the HUNH.

Well we know one thing for sure. The Spread / Hurry up Offense gives uat all kinds of trouble. They lost to us in 2010 and they lost to Texas A&M and both games was in turdville.

Well we know one thing for sure. The Spread / Hurry up Offense gives uat all kinds of trouble. They lost to us in 2010 and they lost to Texas A&M and both games was in turdville.

It takes a lot of energy for those big boys to run up and down the field constantly.

So what do we call the HUNH in the final 2 minutes of a half? If the HUNH is a takeoff of the 2 minute offense. While I agree with the comparison, the HUNH is more than a 2 minute offense. It is a quick strike offense because the defense is often out of place. But that is one of the purposes of the HUNH. The other is logic, the more plays you run the more chances you have to score.

If a team is scoring every 10 plays for an avg of 50 plays a game, thats five scores. If a team is running 100 plays, logically speaking, in a perfect world, that is ten scores. More plays = more points, in a perfect world.

So what do we call the HUNH in the final 2 minutes of a half? If the HUNH is a takeoff of the 2 minute offense. While I agree with the comparison, the HUNH is more than a 2 minute offense. It is a quick strike offense because the defense is often out of place. But that is one of the purposes of the HUNH. The other is logic, the more plays you run the more chances you have to score.

If a team is scoring every 10 plays for an avg of 50 plays a game, thats five scores. If a team is running 100 plays, logically speaking, in a perfect world, that is ten scores. More plays = more points, in a perfect world.

The 2 min offense Has always been a quick strike offense, it's that last rush down the field to try and score to win/tie the game when your behind. The HUNH just does it all game long. If I actually had to put a name to it other than "offense" I would go with HUNH. Calling it a spread is just plain ignorant to what is really being done. The term "Spread" is what happens when ESPN idiots try to explain somthing they should know about, but really have no clue.

As for what we call it in the last 2 min...the same thing we call it all game long...Fast!

Archived