Spread Offense in the SEC

StatTiger

great stuff. can't we call it something other than spread? how about modern offense vs traditional offense?

That doesn't really work, either, though, because Malzahn runs essentially the Single Wing, which is around three quarters of a century old...

Putting labels on these schemes is very difficult. Can we just say that the way Malzahn uses his version of the Single Wing/pistol looking I hybrid is "modern". I don't think that single wing teams in the 50's were trying to run plays every 10 seconds while executing zone read bubble screens.

Malzahn runs a hurry up no huddle balanced spread option attack. The HUNHBSO!!!

The HUNH element is certainly modern, and Malzahn's offense is certainly innovative, but he's still running the Single Wing.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gus can call it whatever he wants, but we run a spread. It doesn't need a fancy name...I'm just looking forward to the results. Spread, single wing, HUNH, Eagle's Wing, Hurry up and fly, whatever...as long as we score lots of points.

You can call it a spread all you want to, but when two running backs line up in the backfield alongside the QB and a tight end is next to an OT with his hand down, the field isn't exactly spread out too much. There are spread elements inherent in what he does, but this whole spread versus "pro style" is a fallacious comparison. There is not an offense that exists today in major college football or professional football that doesn't incorporate at least some spread elements. It's too powerful a weapon to spread the field and find holes in the defense by maximizing mismatches for any coach worth his weight in elephant dung not to utilize the concept.

Utilizing H-backs and slots to spread the field, instead of tightends and flankers, is what stands out from the old school single wing. The HUNH turbo charges the thing, Unimaginative play-calling can still hamstring it, although we won't need to worry about that!

The "hurry up" feature is an important factor in offense performance...more plays generally means more yardage and points.

I noticed on Saturday that the Packers were playing the typical "slug it out" NFL offense that would yield about a play a minute....and all of a sudden went to their "hurry up" and started moving the ball right down the field. They did their hurry up in spurts but it was generally successful every time they went to it.

Few NFL teams will (or can ) play HUNH an entire game but when they want to, or need to, most of them are able to crank up their offense by picking up the pace. Maybe it's the 40 man roster vs the 85 that college allows...but HU does make a difference...and takes a toll on players on both sides of the line.

Defenses based on size and weight don't like the speed of the HU offense as indicated by NS's ludicrous suggestion that the HU was dangerous and should be discouraged. Of course what he meant was that the HUNH was dangerous to his defense and those built on the same premise.

The HUNH is a great strategy to wearing down opposing defenses. The key is moving the chains. Gus's offense requires an athletic QB who has to be respected as a ball carrier. Otherwise, its simply not as hard to defend. I hope Gus can bring someone along because, even he will tell you...his offense requires a lot from the QB. Sadly, we dont have a Cam Newton waiting in the wings so this next year or two will be very interesting to follow. Theres no question we have to put more points on the board. Auburn's defense should get better but we wont beat many teams scoring less than 21 points.

The HUNH is a great strategy to wearing down opposing defenses. The key is moving the chains. Gus's offense requires an athletic QB who has to be respected as a ball carrier. Otherwise, its simply not as hard to defend. I hope Gus can bring someone along because, even he will tell you...his offense requires a lot from the QB. Sadly, we dont have a Cam Newton waiting in the wings so this next year or two will be very interesting to follow. Theres no question we have to put more points on the board. Auburn's defense should get better but we wont beat many teams scoring less than 21 points.

A mobile QB, that plays smart and fearless is key.

Also, having a physically fit/seasoned Oline is going to be very important to the success of our offense next season. They have GOT to be able to protect the QB and not commit a ton of stupid penatlies that set back the production.

I agree..don't have to have a Cam or a Manziel to run it effeciently. Frazier and Wallace are more than able to handle the QB running part fo the offense and the incoming QB commitments , if they stay, are certainly up to the task too...from a running stand point. The QB must be able to pass well enough to keep that option viable....and that's the question for the coming season.

Just from my observations, the OL blocking requirements are hugely different in the two systems and I'm thinking that our OL is better suited to the HUNH than to the traditional offense....though time will tell.

I agree..don't have to have a Cam or a Manziel to run it effeciently. Frazier and Wallace are more than able to handle the QB running part fo the offense and the incoming QB commitments , if they stay, are certainly up to the task too...from a running stand point. The QB must be able to pass well enough to keep that option viable....and that's the question for the coming season.

Just from my observations, the OL blocking requirements are hugely different in the two systems and I'm thinking that our OL is better suited to the HUNH than to the traditional offense....though time will tell.

It takes the whole offensive "unit" working together to run Gus' scheme. I think Gus is brilliant at changing his scheme to suit his personel - he knows how to put various players in a position to be successful. Good coaches do that! And, while I think the current roster is better suited to run his offense, there is a TON of work/training/teaching to be done with the QB's we have right now. I'm eager to see how much improvement we see when A-day rolls around.

You can call it what ever you want, but the only thing new about any play in the so called spread offense is the speed at which they run the plays. It's designed to limit defensive subs and exaust the defenders on the field. It's quite effective. As for the plays and formations not one of them is somthing new. so to call it a spread is a serious flaw in understanding as to what the team is doing.

All levels of football are runing the so called spread. and all teams run plays that most people think are "Spread" plays. streaching the Defense out across the filed is nothing new. It's been going on since the game has bee played. What makes it special enough to call it by another name is the idiots on ESPN that can't fathom that the speed at which the offense runs plays or the fact that the QB has more run plays, designed or otherwise, that aren't the usual hide behind the line and dive for a yard.

There is nothing new here. Even in the pro's there have been elements of this style of football being used for years. Now that teams like the Redskins, and unrealized to most teams like the Patriots, are using more college type formations people are nieve enough to think it's new. It's not. football was in a rut for years with the 3 yards and a cloud of dust. All it has taken is for some coaching brillance to make use of what was already there. Most if not all went in to the "Hurry up" offense within 2 mins of the end of the game. Now they drop in to it from time to time earlier in the game and all of a sudden it's the "Spread". College teams run it the whole game and now it's calle the "Spread".

Any way you put it, there is nothing new about it. It's just used all game long instead of just in the last few mins of a game.

Thanks for the info Stat. As always great insite to the actual breakdown of numbers.

The recruiting pool for HUNH/spread/wide open offenses grow with each passing year. If memory serves, and it does less every year in my case, years ago when Rush Probst(sp) was head coach at Hoover, he visited the little league football coaches in his area and persuaded them to start running his offense that he ran at Hoover. This provided him a feeder system for his teams. I'm sure this is a growing trend around parks every where. Now many high schools have installed the HUNH/Spread/wide open offenses which has created a rich recruiting pool for those who are running this type of offense in college. If the trend continues, and I believe it will, the NFL will soon be saturated with HUNH type offenses. It will be neutralized somewhat in the NFL for reasons already stated in other posts, namely the speed of the game. But in college, the HUNH type offenses will continue to deal fits to opposing coaches. Someone previously stated that next Johnny Football wont blind side anyone next year. How was Oklahoma blind sided? They had a month to prepare and they couldn't stop him or the rest of the Texas A&M offense. Oklahoma had to take a basketball timeout during the first drive. I think Tenn had to do the same with Gus' offense a couple of years ago.

I think it will take a long time for defenses to catch up to these types of offenses, because defenses are reactionary, and if you have no time to think about what you need to do, you'll get beat on the following play. An offense dictates what a defense can do in the HUNH and a traditional offense , takes what the defense gives them, thus the defense dictates what the traditional offense can do.

Gus's offense requires an athletic QB who has to be respected as a ball carrier.

Like Chris Todd? Come on...a dual threat QB is a nice addition and as in any offense it makes things tougher on the D, but Malzahn's offense doesn't "require" a QB that is respected as a ball carrier. See Chris Todd, AU single season TD pass record breaker, 2009.

Gus's offense requires an athletic QB who has to be respected as a ball carrier.

Like Chris Todd? Come on...a dual threat QB is a nice addition and as in any offense it makes things tougher on the D, but Malzahn's offense doesn't "require" a QB that is respected as a ball carrier. See Chris Todd, AU single season TD pass record breaker, 2009.

True....but every now and then ole Chris would slip one in on the defense...but his -116 yards rushing offense for the season might also be a record?

A QB who is a running threat is very valuable .....but not 100% essential I guess.

Help me out here....what was Auburn's SEC record with Chris Toodd playing QB? Let me help you out..it was 3 - 5. If that is optimum for you then you're right. And if it doesn't require a mobile QB wonder why Barrett Trotter and/or Clint Moseley didn't take Auburn to the NC game like Cam Newton did? It amzes me that people continue to throw out what a fantastioc record breaking QB Chris Todd was but conveniently fail to mention Auburn's SEC record with him. Malzahns offense requires a very mobile QB to reach its optimum effectiveness..it just does. Now if you're saying a 3 - 5 QB is optimum, I cant argue with where you've set the bar. I have it set a little higher.

**And as an afterthought...how many people believe A&M's offense works as well as it did if Manziel wasn't as athletic and elusive a he was? Reckon Chris Todd would've led A&M a Cotton Bowl victory? I dont!

Probably not as important as many of the points already posted,

but I've noticed of late,

competent HUNH offenses can sometimes, and at their own discretion, take the replay booth right out of the game

competent HUNH offenses can sometimes, and at their own discretion, take the replay booth right out of the game

I dont see that especially on a questionable play. The officials wont be controlled by the pace..the officials control the pace.

Let's not forget concerning the Chris Todd thought vss the SEC, that a team also has a defense. What was our defense like that year? I can't remember.

No, it wasn't that bad but you have to remember even in 2010 Auburn's defense gave up 34 to kentucky....How good is that? ya think Chris Todd wins that game?

I dont see that especially on a questionable play. The officials wont be controlled by the pace..the officials control the pace.

True enough, if we change "officials" to singular.

Gotta admit, I've never seen a field official blow the whistle and then announce "but I may be wrong."

“The poor replay official has to make a decision whether to stop a game, in many cases, before a replay is shown.”

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/johnny-manziel-no-huddle-a-real-challenge-for-officials-texas-am-oklahoma-cotton-bowl-010413

Let's not forget concerning the Chris Todd thought vss the SEC, that a team also has a defense. What was our defense like that year? I can't remember.

No, it wasn't that bad but you have to remember even in 2010 Auburn's defense gave up 34 to kentucky....How good is that? ya think Chris Todd wins that game?

Can't say. A qb can have a hot day as well as a cold day. Speculation is never good science. I'm just saying that the defense has to help out for a team to be successful and it seems according to the thread that we were/are seeing only the offense. If we had not shut down the bammers in 2010 w/ the defense, 28 points would not have been enough, even w/ super Cam.

True enough, if we change "officials" to singular.

Gotta admit, I've never seen a field official blow the whistle and then announce "but I may be wrong."

“The poor replay official has to make a decision whether to stop a game, in many cases, before a replay is shown.”

http://msn.foxsports...ton-bowl-010413

Thats interesting.I hadn't thought of it from that perspective. I guess the field officials aren't "miked" either so the replay official's job is that much more difficult in terms of making sure the plays that need reviewing get reviewed. I hate the replay and its almost killed my enthusiasm as a fan..it wouldn't bother me a bit if they did away with it entirely but I dont see that happening

Can't say. A qb can have a hot day as well as a cold day. Speculation is never good science. I'm just saying that the defense has to help out for a team to be successful and it seems according to the thread that we were/are seeing only the offense. If we had not shut down the bammers in 2010 w/ the defense, 28 points would not have been enough, even w/ super Cam.

Its hard to imagine we're calling giving up 27 as shutting a team down, which only serves on the side of my point. Auburn wont win many games scoring 21 or less points.

Its hard to imagine we're calling giving up 27 as shutting a team down, which only serves on the side of my point. Auburn wont win many games scoring 21 or less points.

The shutdown came in the second half. Remember?

The shutdown came in the second half. Remember?

Sure do but a game is 2 halves. Cam Newton put Auburn on his back that day. The defense rose to the occasion in the 2nd half but, had Auburn not gotten it done offensively it wouldn't have mattered!

Archived