Gus Malzahn's Recruiting Method

Maverick.AU

Do you think Gus goes heavily on JUCO's for this year only, or do you think he takes the Bill Snyder approach? Which is: Taking JUCO's that fit his system/Highly rated JUCO's that you just can't pass on. Chizik seemed against taking JUCO's and wanted to rely heavily on the 4 year players while Snyder on the other hand seems to get the best player available for his system regardless if it is a JUCO or a High School kid. Do you think we see many JUCO targets in next years class?

i dont think gus will tie his hands with a "plan". im sure he will have a plan but that plan is to find the best players and win with them. in other words he will play it by feel. chizik was at first reluctant to offer cam because a juco qb was not in the "plan".

i dont think gus will tie his hands with a "plan". im sure he will have a plan but that plan is to find the best players and win with them. in other words he will play it by feel. chizik was at first reluctant to offer cam because a juco qb was not in the "plan".

If it had been all Chizik's way we wouldn't have offered Cam. It took a lot of pushing by the other coaches.

I'm loving the JUCO route right now. I've always thought that you get the best kid you can get, period. That's all. Wherever he comes from, you get the best one you can get for his position. It always bothered me that Chiz was so against it. If the guys out of high school are superstars, they're only going to be here for 3 years anyway. If he can only play two years then guess what, you've got 730 days to find his replacement.

And before you anit-juco folks start preaching, I'm not talking about building our team from jucos. I'm talking about always taking a good look at the top 10 players and seeing if they can provide some immediate help, and at least make sure that they aren't superstars in the making that are getting passed on just because they are juco.

I think Gus will continue to use JUCOs to add to upperclass depth by filling in gaps in the Junior class that have been created by players who were lost to attrition or aren't producing.

I'm loving the JUCO route right now. I've always thought that you get the best kid you can get, period. That's all. Wherever he comes from, you get the best one you can get for his position. It always bothered me that Chiz was so against it. If the guys out of high school are superstars, they're only going to be here for 3 years anyway. If he can only play two years then guess what, you've got 730 days to find his replacement.

And before you anit-juco folks start preaching, I'm not talking about building our team from jucos. I'm talking about always taking a good look at the top 10 players and seeing if they can provide some immediate help, and at least make sure that they aren't superstars in the making that are getting passed on just because they are juco.

/\ this

I think Gus will continue to use JUCOs to add to upperclass depth by filling in gaps in the Junior class that have been created by players who were lost to attrition or aren't producing.

Agree

Amen! People need to look at what Bill Snyder did with JUCO's at KSU. Snyder also made a key point: He said are you just going to pass on guy because he is a JUCO and allow one of your rivals to pick him up?

If it had been all Chizik's way we wouldn't have offered Cam. It took a lot of pushing by the other coaches.

TRUE! We are in dire need for experienced players that are well developed; leaders too! I like how we are going hard on defense with JUCO players. The Dline badly underperformed last year so they shouldn't come in thinking they are going to be starting or getting big PT b/c true freshmen/underclassmen are unlikely to challenge them. Create some competition...get those guys on D fired up...see who is going to crack/quit.

I think Gus goes hard on JUCO this year and maybe next year but beyond that he gets JUCOs that will bridge any recruiting gaps or 2 or 3 guys that he can't pass up going after hard b/c of their talent. Even if we get all the top D players in recruiting...they will still be freshmen and have never played a snap in college football. They are more likely to make an impact if any towards the end of the season. We need more guys that are going to be game ready on game 1 quickly...JUCO guys help with that.

The only thing that matters is winning. Whatever way get's you there the quickest and the longest, you do it.

wde

Agree. Many were high rated guys. Some just couldn't make the grades. That's what i would be concerned about...can they get it done in the classroom in order to play.

TRUE! We are in dire need for experienced players that are well developed; leaders too! I like how we are going hard on defense with JUCO players. The Dline badly underperformed last year so they shouldn't come in thinking they are going to be starting or getting big PT b/c true freshmen/underclassmen are unlikely to challenge them. Create some competition...get those guys on D fired up...see who is going to crack/quit.

I think Gus goes hard on JUCO this year and maybe next year but beyond that he gets JUCOs that will bridge any recruiting gaps or 2 or 3 guys that he can't pass up going after hard b/c of their talent. Even if we get all the top D players in recruiting...they will still be freshmen and have never played a snap in college football. They are more likely to make an impact if any towards the end of the season. We need more guys that are going to be game ready on game 1 quickly...JUCO guys help with that.

Also JUCO's are usually a lot more level headed and humble. The mental aspect of the game is just as important as the physical. Some guys have all the talent in the world but their mindset does not allow them to fulfill that talent to its full potential. Dyer is an example.

I agree.

I think we will see more Juncos until Gus feels like he has the right players for his offensive system and good depth on the defensive side. Once we get back on the winning track and if recriuiting gets back to where it has been over the last few years I think we will then offer only a select few top tier junco players each year.

Also JUCO's are usually a lot more level headed and humble. The mental aspect of the game is just as important as the physical. Some guys have all the talent in the world but their mindset does not allow them to fulfill that talent to its full potential. Dyer is an example.

Yep!

I think we will see more Juncos until Gus feels like he has the right players for his offensive system and good depth on the defensive side. Once we get back on the winning track and if recriuiting gets back to where it has been over the last few years I think we will then offer only a select few top tier junco players each year.

+1

This year we had 3 slots for EEs right? If you don't use those slots, you lose 'em. It would seem quite silly to waste those schollys.

Also, as others have pointed out, we need some immediate impact players as certain positions in order to compete with the big dogs of the SECW. JUCOs are a good way to do that. It makes sense to me.

Great point.

Moreover, I would say that all of the successful teams are going to be doing this moving forward. Given the new limits on class sizes, it simply won't be feasible to recruit 2 players for the same spot with the assumption that 1 of them will fall prey to some form of attrition. That makes filling in the gaps with players from JC that have proven their continued development a necessity for teams that want to be good.

Looking at the ESPN Junior College player rankings, you see a veritable tour-de-force of the big time college names listed as having JC commits http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/football/story/_/id/8743658/espn-junior-college-100

snapback.pngIronMan70, on Today, 04:45 PM, said:

I agree it may be more some years but Gus wants the best players....................

I was just thinking about JUCO players that have been successful at Auburn....Rudi Johnson and Cam come to mind. Who remembers other players that have done the JUCO thing and then produced for us?

I was just thinking about JUCO players that have been successful at Auburn....Rudi Johnson and Cam come to mind. Who remembers other players that have done the JUCO thing and then produced for us?

Nick Fairley!

It brings in immediate high level competition for the guys already on the roster. I know Juco isn't the same level of competition as the SEC, but physically these kids grow a lot in those two years compared to incoming frosh. Plus these kids are hungry after paying dues for two years. Nothing will improve the kids on our current roster more than having to fight for their jobs.

I think it's a good strategy by Gus.

It brings in immediate high level competition for the guys already on the roster. I know Juco isn't the same level of competition as the SEC, but physically these kids grow a lot in those two years compared to incoming frosh. Plus these kids are hungry after paying dues for two years. Nothing will improve the kids on our current roster more than having to fight for their jobs.

I think it's a good strategy by Gus.

+1

Archived