Men vs. Ole Miss Game Thread

WarTiger

"Fans need to HELP Coach Barbee build the program by making Auburn Arena a place where recruits will want to play, instead of threatening to stay away like a bunch of spoiled brats who can't get what they want immediately. It will take longer if fans don't support the basketball team, and the coach who is working hard to bring AU back."

Agreed!! Great post!!

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Fans need to HELP Coach Barbee build the program by making Auburn Arena a place where recruits will want to play, instead of threatening to stay away like a bunch of spoiled brats who can't get what they want immediately. It will take longer if fans don't support the basketball team, and the coach who is working hard to bring AU back."

Agreed!! Great post!!

That's a catch 22, fans want to see wins and hard fought games. When you lose at HOME to a ranked opponent by 2 that is not terrible, but when the team shoots an abysmal 23% from FT line, and keep losing day in day out, it makes it hard for the fans to want to keep coming to see the games. I don't know what it is but AU basketball has been cursed for like the last decade!! I don't think I've seen a game where AU has played an all around great game. AU is losing half or more of our games. In a year with some senior leadership and some talented young players I thought they would at least make a tourney bid, especially after that stretch of wins over FSU, LSU, and USC, but then they just tanked and have lost 4 straight, albeit 2 hard fought games that should have been won, but the other 2 games AU could have won. AU has the talent to win more games than they lose, but for some reason they can't get it done. I was there in the 90s for those good teams, didn't miss a single home game, so it makes me sad to watch the mess that is AU basketball now.

"albeit 2 hard fought games that should have been won, but the other 2 games AU could have won"

I think your assessment of AU and where it is right now is too optimistic. AU was underdog in all of its last 8 games and beat the point spread in 6 of those 8. ....only Vandy and UK did we fail to beat the spread.

We have one senior leader and he can't be counted on for scoring game in and game out. We have a walk-on senior PG that is not an offensive threat and a center that is primarily a defensive player.

As I look around the SEC, what the league is missing is pure shooters. We sure don't have one...we have a couple scorers but look at shooting %. Ole Miss has at least two of them and most of the better teams have gunners but we aren't there yet. If Varez Ward were not an idiot we would have some scoring punch this year and of course there were the two projects whose mentor was not happy with their playing time when they were just freshmen and took them somewhere else.

We have some athletic freshmen but we don't have shooters that can break up a defensive zone or just turn a game around in a couple minutes like Henderson. Hate the guy if you wish...but don't you wish we had him ....or somone like him at AU?

We're getting there and I hope some the "country's most loyal football fans" will spread a little of that loyalty to the basketball program.

Agreed!! Great post!!

That's a catch 22, fans want to see wins and hard fought games. When you lose at HOME to a ranked opponent by 2 that is not terrible, but when the team shoots an abysmal 23% from FT line, and keep losing day in day out, it makes it hard for the fans to want to keep coming to see the games. I don't know what it is but AU basketball has been cursed for like the last decade!! I don't think I've seen a game where AU has played an all around great game. AU is losing half or more of our games. In a year with some senior leadership and some talented young players I thought they would at least make a tourney bid, especially after that stretch of wins over FSU, LSU, and USC, but then they just tanked and have lost 4 straight, albeit 2 hard fought games that should have been won, but the other 2 games AU could have won. AU has the talent to win more games than they lose, but for some reason they can't get it done. I was there in the 90s for those good teams, didn't miss a single home game, so it makes me sad to watch the mess that is AU basketball now.

We don't have no where near the talent that we should. We don't have enough talent to make the tourney this year even if Coach K was our coach. We have Chubb as our center and a former walk-on PG.

"albeit 2 hard fought games that should have been won, but the other 2 games AU could have won"

I think your assessment of AU and where it is right now is too optimistic. AU was underdog in all of its last 8 games and beat the point spread in 6 of those 8. ....only Vandy and UK did we fail to beat the spread.

We have one senior leader and he can't be counted on for scoring game in and game out. We have a walk-on senior PG that is not an offensive threat and a center that is primarily a defensive player.

As I look around the SEC, what the league is missing is pure shooters. We sure don't have one...we have a couple scorers but look at shooting %. Ole Miss has at least two of them and most of the better teams have gunners but we aren't there yet. If Varez Ward were not an idiot we would have some scoring punch this year and of course there were the two projects whose mentor was not happy with their playing time when they were just freshmen and took them somewhere else.

We have some athletic freshmen but we don't have shooters that can break up a defensive zone or just turn a game around in a couple minutes like Henderson. Hate the guy if you wish...but don't you wish we had him ....or somone like him at AU?

We're getting there and I hope some the "country's most loyal football fans" will spread a little of that loyalty to the basketball program.

I love watching shooters play. I almost always root for teams with good shooters (for instance, Butler is a team I'm rooting for this year). But I would not want Henderson one bit. Someone with his talent, but a different attitude, would be desirable.

See we made ESPN for this video....minus all the birds and curses.. Henderson should have known better but I'm glad the students are making the place a "snake pit"....will be nice when it's like Cameron Indoor where opponents hate to play.....and students give the opponent's star hell all game long.

Agreed!! Great post!!

Get what they want immediately ? It has been over ten years since this basketball team has been what I want. That does not seem that immediate

Agreed!! Great post!!

Get what they want immediately ? It has been over ten years since this basketball team has been what I want. That does not seem that immediate

It's only been three with Barbee. That was his point. You are just trying to find some negative argument to start. You and Mikey would make a great team.

I don't have high expectations. If we could just make the NIT every 2-3 years, I'd be happy with that.

I don't have high expectations. If we could just make the NIT every 2-3 years, I'd be happy with that.

See, this is a problem for me. That's accepting mediocrity. NCAA every 2-3 years, sure. NIT..... not so much.

Here is a clip of the crowd reaction.

marshall_hendersonauburn.gif?w=640&h=360

I love how the older guy gets up like he's about ready to tussle on the court. The face reaction of the pajama girl near the right of the screen is great too.

See, this is a problem for me. That's accepting mediocrity. NCAA every 2-3 years, sure. NIT..... not so much.

I could accept making the NIT every year and the NCAA every 2-3. That's probably all anyone can expect.

I could accept making the NIT every year and the NCAA every 2-3. That's probably all anyone can expect.

Yeah....Aim at star and you may hit a stump; aim at a a stump and you may hit nothing at all.

Agreed!! Great post!!

It's only been three with Barbee. That was his point. You are just trying to find some negative argument to start. You and Mikey would make a great team.

Thanks, sounds like you dont know me at all.

Archived