Men vs. Ole Miss Game Thread

WarTiger

The SEC needs to see the video of Henderson at the end of the game. Complete lack of class and totally uncalled for.

Eh, he took crap all game from the student section. They won a tight game in a loud venue. Just blowing off some steam. If you don't want him doing that, don't give him 2 FTs with 6 sec left in a tie game.

That's what the student section is supposed to do. He needs to man up and take it. You don't go to the home student section and give them double birds and then show off the name on the jersey. Classless.

Agreed. But don't grab the guy with 6 seconds left in a tie game so he can go to the free throw line and beat you either. Stupid.

Was a flop IMO. I thought it was pretty clear.

Wasn't even close to a flop. Shaq clearly and definitely fouled him when he didn't have too.

Agreed. Henderson embellished it, but he was clearly hooked around the neck because he faked Shaq out. Just a prro freshman mistake by Shaq. If Denson dishes off to Sullivan in the corner on AU's last possession, we might be looking at a different outcome.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, lets look at it this way, we have a mack daddy arena and an awful team and lame duck coach. People are showing up but probably not anymore. We have no reason to keep Barbee one more game much less one more year. He has had enough time and has done nothing. He was a pain in the neck signing his contract. He is recruiting everyone UA doesn't want in state and the also rans elsewhere (i.e. no worries if we loose the entire recruiting class). This is the same thing that happened in football in 2012. The only difference is Chizik had a real recruiting class to back him up as a reason not to fire him. Barbee does not. His highest rated player is J. Johnson that will never see the BB court, as he will be our starting QB. Let a lame duck die.

Are you kidding me? Barbee has turned this bunch into a competitive team. The situation he walked into was 10 times worse than what Lebo or any other coach has walked into. Heck, we lost to Columbus in Barbee's first year. When Shaq, Greene and Price all mature, we will be a very good basketball team. And to say that we aren't recruiting well is factually incorrect. We had a top 3 or 4 class in the SEC last year. We are on the rise. Jeremy Johnson isn't anywhere close to being the best basketball player coming in. Yes he is good, however. In Barbee's three years, all of his classes have been higher rated than Lebo's. And to say we should fire him...That will just put the program even farther behind. The only recruit we have lost to Bama has been Lacy. He has only had three years. He is still playing with Lebo's players. Let Barbee's players get experienced before you start calling for his head. Your type of attitude is the exact opposite of what we need to start becoming a real contender like in the 80's.

Hmm I can see both sides. AU had a horrible preseason this year and is 2-4 in the SEC which is probably the 8th or 9 best conference. Getting beat by Winthrop in year 3 is much worse than losing to Columbus in year one. Win it comes to just wins and losses there really is not much sign of improvement.

At the same time there is some young guys in the program that have shown they might do well in the dribble drive offense. I have no doubt that Barbee will get at least one more year to prove he can turn it around. I watched San Diego State today and I think their program is a very good example of what can happen to a program with some consistency at head coach. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Fisher

The SEC needs to see the video of Henderson at the end of the game. Complete lack of class and totally uncalled for.

Eh, he took crap all game from the student section. They won a tight game in a loud venue. Just blowing off some steam. If you don't want him doing that, don't give him 2 FTs with 6 sec left in a tie game.

That's what the student section is supposed to do. He needs to man up and take it. You don't go to the home student section and give them double birds and then show off the name on the jersey. Classless.

Agreed. But don't grab the guy with 6 seconds left in a tie game so he can go to the free throw line and beat you either. Stupid.

Was a flop IMO. I thought it was pretty clear.

Wasn't even close to a flop. Shaq clearly and definitely fouled him when he didn't have too.

Agreed. Henderson embellished it, but he was clearly hooked around the neck because he faked Shaq out. Just a prro freshman mistake by Shaq. If Denson dishes off to Sullivan in the corner on AU's last possession, we might be looking at a different outcome.

I was watching it in HD on my big screen (126 inches) and he was not even touching him when he went down.

Ok, lets look at it this way, we have a mack daddy arena and an awful team and lame duck coach. People are showing up but probably not anymore. We have no reason to keep Barbee one more game much less one more year. He has had enough time and has done nothing. He was a pain in the neck signing his contract. He is recruiting everyone UA doesn't want in state and the also rans elsewhere (i.e. no worries if we loose the entire recruiting class). This is the same thing that happened in football in 2012. The only difference is Chizik had a real recruiting class to back him up as a reason not to fire him. Barbee does not. His highest rated player is J. Johnson that will never see the BB court, as he will be our starting QB. Let a lame duck die.

Are you kidding me? Barbee has turned this bunch into a competitive team. The situation he walked into was 10 times worse than what Lebo or any other coach has walked into. Heck, we lost to Columbus in Barbee's first year. When Shaq, Greene and Price all mature, we will be a very good basketball team. And to say that we aren't recruiting well is factually incorrect. We had a top 3 or 4 class in the SEC last year. We are on the rise. Jeremy Johnson isn't anywhere close to being the best basketball player coming in. Yes he is good, however. In Barbee's three years, all of his classes have been higher rated than Lebo's. And to say we should fire him...That will just put the program even farther behind. The only recruit we have lost to Bama has been Lacy. He has only had three years. He is still playing with Lebo's players. Let Barbee's players get experienced before you start calling for his head. Your type of attitude is the exact opposite of what we need to start becoming a real contender like in the 80's.

What makes you think JJ is going to play basketball?

And at what point to the attitudes of fans play a role in the basketball team becoming competitive?

Nothing, I was just responding to his comment about being the best player.

And the attitude of wanting and becoming a competitive, good program from the fans actually does play a role. Based on Doug's attitude, he is probably not going to go to another game this year if he is able to. Players don't live in a bubble. They know and hear what the attitude is outside of the program. We need to show that they are just as important as football or close to it. I've been to probably 7 or 8 games this year including tonight. Like Barbee has said, the culture has to change or else we will never be a consistent program.

This Ole Miss team is 17-2 and is ranked. Still we only lost by one possesion with a bad call at the end. If this game doesnt make you optimistic then you dont keep up with Auburn basketball.

Guest jojo1515

This Ole Miss team is 17-2 and is ranked. Still we only lost by one possesion with a bad call at the end. If this game doesnt make you optimistic then you dont keep up with Auburn basketball.

Most sensible post on this thread. I didnt get to watch the game, but I expected atleast a 20 point loss. While I am not 100% sold on Barbee, we are better than when he got here (which is more than we can say for Lebo). I think he gets another year regardless. If he is sub .500 in the sec again next year, he will be gone.

Most sensible post on this thread. I didnt get to watch the game, but I expected atleast a 20 point loss. While I am not 100% sold on Barbee, we are better than when he got here (which is more than we can say for Lebo). I think he gets another year regardless. If he is sub .500 in the sec again next year, he will be gone.

We are 1/3 of the way thru our SEC schedule with, perhaps, 2 of our toughest 3 home games behind us. I am thinking that, if this group stays together and does not lose hope, going .500 the rest of the year is realistic and there remains the possibility of making up the 2 game deficit and finishing .500. Count me among those who believe it crazy to even be talking about pulling the plug on Barbee but I have only been in the arena for 9 of our 11 home games so I may have no idea what I am talking about! (That is sarcasm for those of you who are basing your opinions on what you have read and/or are members of that popular sub-culture which looks for any reason to bash Jacobs.)

Go get 'em Tigers and WDE!

Hey, I've got HD too and IMO it was clearly a foul...but I don't blame Shaq...I expect the coaches told him "don't let Henderson touch the ball ! " and being a freshman, he got caught up in the moment and was going to make damn sure Henderson could not get clear to take the inbounds. A mistake for certain by Shaq but an effort-mistake....and not a mistake because he was't hustling.

Meanwhile, I've noticed comments about AU blowing the game, etc....but do I remember that AU was down by 5 against a top 25 team and came back to tie it with a chance to win at the end? The whiners on this board make me wonder if any of them have any clue about basketball beyond the Auburn campus.

This team has come a long way since last season....and even since December. We still have some real holes to fill at PG and Center but the guys playing those positions are doing the best they can with the skill and talent they have.

There is no question that OM has more talent than AU....and I'm proud of the Tigers for fighting back in the last three minutes when a very good Ole Miss team seemed to be taking control of the game.

WDE

at Auburn. Ole Miss comes in 16-2 while Auburn is 8-10. Hopefully there is a nice crowd for this one tonight. War Eagle!!

I was pleasantly surprised and believe that the Auburn crowd was very similar to the Kentucky game. The empy seats may have simply been the difference between the Kentucky and Ole Miss contingents. By the way, based on his behavior, I would not be totally surprised to learn that the man (I am using that word rather loosely) sitting behind us was Marshall Henderson's father. I was about ready to throw him from the upper deck but was afraid some folks below might have been hurt and I am a bit too old for such activity.

WDE!

Hey, I've got HD too and IMO it was clearly a foul...but I don't blame Shaq...I expect the coaches told him "don't let Henderson touch the ball ! " and being a freshman, he got caught up in the moment and was going to make damn sure Henderson could not get clear to take the inbounds. A mistake for certain by Shaq but an effort-mistake....and not a mistake because he was't hustling.

Meanwhile, I've noticed comments about AU blowing the game, etc....but do I remember that AU was down by 5 against a top 25 team and came back to tie it with a chance to win at the end? The whiners on this board make me wonder if any of them have any clue about basketball beyond the Auburn campus.

This team has come a long way since last season....and even since December. We still have some real holes to fill at PG and Center but the guys playing those positions are doing the best they can with the skill and talent they have.

There is no question that OM has more talent than AU....and I'm proud of the Tigers for fighting back in the last three minutes when a very good Ole Miss team seemed to be taking control of the game.

WDE

We've have got two good big men and a stud of a PG coming in. The future is very bright.

WDE

I was literally five feet away from the play and I agree it was definitely a foul. Henderson was being physical trying to get free, but the refs aren't going to call that with just a few seconds left. Johnson's push wasn't ignorable, though. I do sort of blame him because you just have to be smarter than that. He played a good game, but you can't give away easy points at the end of the game.

WDE

We've have got two good big men and a stud of a PG coming in. The future is very bright.

+++

marshall_hendersonauburn.gif

Won't say which one I am here, haha.

That's pretty funny right there. Lotta 1 finger hand gestures going on. Ha!

Great video....I can't believe all those nice AU students would heckle an opponent player.....what's the world coming to? ;D

On the other hand, they are all just kids and I don't blame either side...I'm proud that the students are beginning to make the Auburn Arena a tough place for opponents to visit. And who can blame Henderson for responding though it's not a smart move on this part....and he will probably hear from the SEC on this.

Most cocky, classless player I have seen in a long time. Even before he did this, throughout the game, he was really cocky. I hope he gets nailed by the SEC. Must be the coaches son because Kennedy is a big thug, also. Complete joke.

We are getting better.

Certainly now competitive and fun to watch.

Got to give Barbee time.

We're going the right direction

You're right. It's only going up from here. People need to have patience, and quit blaming Barbee. He had the guts to walk into a program that was left in total disarray, and he's done a terrific job so far. He started out with almost nothing, and he's made something out of it. Instead of the constant criticism, fans should be thankful he even took AU on, because it was in an ugly mess.

I get what your saying Belle, and I don't disagree with it, but we seem to be encroaching on the Cubs "next year is the year!" mantra. Fact is, in the "W" column, we're still not very different than the Lebo teams and that's what has a lot of fans frustrated or simply uninterested in the basketball program. I always support the team, but man it's tough sometimes. Ha! :)/>

That Win column will change. But it takes time, and people are ridiculously impatient, and completely ignorant about the challenges Barbee has faced. There have been SIGNIFICANT improvements, such as better FT shooting, although it still has a ways to go, and player development has been a really bright spot as well. Look at Chubb. He's not the greatest, but Barbee has him playing at the top of his abilities. Depth has also been a serious issue, and that has been one of the things Barbee is addressing. AU has been competitive, and it's been YEARS since that happened.

Fans need to HELP Coach Barbee build the program by making Auburn Arena a place where recruits will want to play, instead of threatening to stay away like a bunch of spoiled brats who can't get what they want immediately. It will take longer if fans don't support the basketball team, and the coach who is working hard to bring AU back.

I will be pulling for the turds against them as long as that fool is there! He totally ticked me off last night.

Great video....I can't believe all those nice AU students would heckle an opponent player.....what's the world coming to? ;D/>

On the other hand, they are all just kids and I don't blame either side...I'm proud that the students are beginning to make the Auburn Arena a tough place for opponents to visit. And who can blame Henderson for responding though it's not a smart move on this part....and he will probably hear from the SEC on this.

Call me honorable and old fashioned, but there's no place for that as a player! Period! Crossed the line!

Great video....I can't believe all those nice AU students would heckle an opponent player.....what's the world coming to? ;D/>

Call me honorable and old fashioned, but there's no place for that as a player! Period! Crossed the line!

I agree. I expect he'll get punishment of some kind from the SEC office tomorrow. No place for that in the game. Remember a game earlier this season at Auburn ( I forget who we were playing) but a player of our opponent got a technical foul for saying something to the crowd.

I agree. I expect he'll get punishment of some kind from the SEC office tomorrow. No place for that in the game. Remember a game earlier this season at Auburn ( I forget who we were playing) but a player of our opponent got a technical foul for saying something to the crowd.

The Depaul Game I believe.

Well, based on the fact you are on an Internet forum where folks like to tussle verbally, I'd say you're the guy telling Henderson to "COME ON!!!" :D

Well, based on the fact you are on an Internet forum where folks like to tussle verbally, I'd say you're the guy telling Henderson to "COME ON!!!" :D

I love the reaction from the crowd! Soo much going on... Sign being thrown, Girl nearly busts her pipes yelling FU, event staff just hanging out cheesing, Old man bows up... someone needs to kick this peacock's rear.

Archived