Women vs. Florida Game Thread

WarTiger

I wish all those that in prior years were arguing that Nell Fortner's recruiting was "just fine" could have attended this game. We have one player, Muhammed, that would start on Florida's team, a team that is now 4-6 in the SEC.

The Auburn player that looked like she knew the second most about basketball, Julie King, has been a star on the AU soccer team for four years and walked on to the basketball team for her first time of playing college basketball this season.

Failure to box out on rebounds, Florida rebounding their own foul shots, missed layup after missed layup, the list goes on. Coach Flo may well be the right person to correct this situation, but she has two or three years of real heavy lifting on the recruiting front to get this team to where it can be competitive. Right now we simply don't have the athletes necessary to compete in the top half of the SEC.

I will disagree with Mikey in that I believe Blanche Alverson would probably start for most anybody in the SEC. She is a great player. Peyton Davis missing 4-5 or more layups was very disappointing and there really isn't an excuse for it. They were all point blank uncontested shots. I am very surprised at the absence of Courtney Strain. If you didn't look at the roster online, you would never know she was on the team. I know she took a redshirt season last year because of an injury. I'm wondering if she is still struggling to come back from that injury. If its not the injury I'm curious what she isn't doing to get into the rotation.

Alverson works very hard and gives it all she's got. After watching yesterday's game, do you really think she'd start for Florida? I don't.

I will disagree with Mikey in that I believe Blanche Alverson would probably start for most anybody in the SEC. She is a great player. Peyton Davis missing 4-5 or more layups was very disappointing and there really isn't an excuse for it. They were all point blank uncontested shots. I am very surprised at the absence of Courtney Strain. If you didn't look at the roster online, you would never know she was on the team. I know she took a redshirt season last year because of an injury. I'm wondering if she is still struggling to come back from that injury. If its not the injury I'm curious what she isn't doing to get into the rotation.

WarTiger,

Courtney is injured again and may not see the floor again this year. It is not the same injury as last year. She was playing in the first part of the season just like last year before the injury occurred. Without Courtney and Camille (transferred to Michigan State) we are missing a three point shooter to complement Blanche. The teams we play put a trailer on Blanche for the whole game because she is pretty much the only consistent 3 point shooter we have. Jet knows how to get Blanche the ball for the most part, but when Jet is sitting on the bench with a boot on her ankle, well, it is not pretty with a freshman point guard in her first start and her backup walk-on freshman point guard as her relief.

I know we are all disappointed with the way the season has turned - one of the RPI predictors I watch (which is extremely accurate) has been right on the $$ until we lost to Florida. A great pre-conference season doesn't always translate to great conference play. On November 5th the predictor indicated our conference record would be 5-11 and after bumping up for a game or two - today it is indicating a 5-11 conference record.

Sunday our point guard was out - turned her ankle and may or may not be back for this Sunday. While pretty short Jet has been running the team and been fairly successful - currently she is #13 nationally (in D1) assists per game...I believe she would have been the difference in the game. Two of our other players off the bench are hurt - don't know when or if they will return for the season so we have less depth than we did - which wasn't much. Yes - Julie has been outstanding. (Out of high school she had basketball offers along with soccer and elected to go with soccer.) Blanche is #2 all time for made 3's at Auburn - she has no help with 3's with Courtney sidelined and Camille transfering to a different D1 school. She is shooting them at a .421% this year (in conference play) - right on the money from last year - she's a good ball player and we need her for leadership. Tye Tanner has been beat up but she did have 17 points against Florida.....leading AU for the game.

Just sayin' - IMO - we do have good players who were recruited by other D1 schools (and we are missing three - two that transfered and one that is playing for Ga-Tech because she elected to opt out of her LOI) What all of the numbers cannot predict is how this long streak of loses is affecting the team mentally...it's cliche but winning breeds winning and they need a win to get their confidence back.

Archived