Gray King (Walk on)

AubTigers

There's probably a grain of truth to all of those points about talking up walk-ons during spring and giving them props to motivate guys the program is depending on but for some reason I dont think Gus is real big on those kind of games. Im not saying this kid is going to be a star but, I do believe Gus likes what the guy has shown in spring camp so far. We'll see what happens and while I would be somewhat surprised to see the guy get much PT next year, him evenually getting PT wouldn't surprise me at all if he sticks around and continues to show the coaches he can be trusted to get the job done.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also good to remember that while this year, AU did not have much turnover and had a few EEs but generally spring is when the roster is 'smallest' to some degree because most of the new class has not come in yet, and last year's seniors are not practicing so if there is a time for a walk on to get serious looks, this is it.

Once the new class arrives, they'll probably get shuffled back a bit more.

Moved this to the football forum, since he is on campus and practicing, thus voiding the thread's reason for being in recruiting.

Impressive vision, quickness and cutting ability. Perfect combo of skills for punt returner. Very excited he's playing for the good guys.

• 4 months later...

I hear he's in contention for punt returner. Anyone have any more info on how he's doing?

The way he broke some folks ankles in that highlight video, I sure would like to see him field some punts to see what he can do. His ability to stop in mid stride and change directions is pretty impressive.

he will fit in Gus's playbook....for one play at least

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXnOMRKKjsI

I think we tried to run that once with Omac. I KNOW it got run against us by Gus when he was at Arky...it was that terrible, terrible game where we went in there ranked really highly and got our rear ends handed to us.

I see another "Lizard" in the making. For those who do not know what I am talking about, this person played at Auburn back in the mid to late 90s. I remember seeing him when we played MSU in Starkville. I think he was about 5-6 and 150 lbs. He was extremely fast, and could make defenders tackle air instead of him.

And after watching the highlight vid, I cannot believe this kid didn't get a scholarship somewhere. Holy crap, he's got speed and moves.

I think he had offers from Furman and AF. He's pretty undersized, but I'm glad he took a preferred walk on status. He was the offensive MVP on the scout team . Lotsa heart and football smarts.

I see another "Lizard" in the making. For those who do not know what I am talking about, this person played at Auburn back in the mid to late 90s. I remember seeing him when we played MSU in Starkville. I think he was about 5-6 and 150 lbs. He was extremely fast, and could make defenders tackle air instead of him.

Was that Markeith Cooper?

Was that Markeith Cooper?

Yes

I think we tried to run that once with Omac. I KNOW it got run against us by Gus when he was at Arky...it was that terrible, terrible game where we went in there ranked really highly and got our rear ends handed to us.

I was at that game. Longest drive home from Auburn I've ever had. :banghead:

Will Gray be the fastest on the team this year@ 4.4?

4.4 while very fast, is not elite speed any longer.

Auburn has the following sub 4.3 speed guys (unofficial) on the current roster (Corey Grant, Sammie Coates, and Ricardo Louis).

in addition other notable speedsters (from the past)

1. Bo Jackson (fastest clocked speed at the NFL combine): 4.12

2. Ontario McCalleb: 4.29 (unofficial at AU Pro Day).

3. Brent Fullwood: 4.28

Archived