Banning Commits From Visiting Other Schools

WarDamnEagle#1

My question is this: Will a coach who accepts a commitment from a student-athlete who plays a certain position---say, running back---promise that kid that he will not pursue other players who play that same position? This is only fair if it works both ways---and I don't think it will take a rocket scientist for anyone to figure out to whom I'm referring with this example.

My question is this: Will a coach who accepts a commitment from a student-athlete who plays a certain position---say, running back---promise that kid that he will not pursue other players who play that same position? This is only fair if it works both ways---and I don't think it will take a rocket scientist for anyone to figure out to whom I'm referring with this example.

Hard for any school to do this because team depth has a heavy influence in how many people you go for at different positions

i think we should start banning commitments from visiting other schools. wouldnt you want your commitments to know that they are 100% in for auburn and not have to worry about them visiting other schools?

Personally, I don't think any recruit should commit to any school unless they are 100% sure that's the school they want to attend. Now, in the event of coaching changes, that presents a whole new situation and I have no problem with any recruit who de-commits from a school if the assistant who recruits him or the head coach moves on or is fired, such as what happened with AU this past year. I look at the situation with Dee Liner. He was telling everybody how rock-solid he was to AU yet all the while was going to kiss Saban's ring every weekend for about a month or so instead of visiting AU. I wonder if Chizik would have called him on it like Malzahn apparently did. I would rather the coaches encourage the kids to make sure they are making the right decision. If they need to make as many visits as they can to help make that decision, so be it. Let it be the kids' decision to make whether or not to go on any more visits after he's made a commitment.

the coaches should encourage the kids to make the right decision but the players shouldnt commit until they know for sure that's where they want to go, if not then dont commit

The more schools that implement this self-imposed rule, the fewer early committments will be made. Why should a kid commit early and not look around and be sure. We all know but don't want to understand that an early committment really doesn't mean much anymore. Now the universities will play their trump card and tell the recruit that they will "give" their scholly to someone else that committs first. It will be a game of chicken but the recruit, if he is good enough, will have the last say. Would cns not take Liner or Foster if he already had all of his schoills taken by early committments? We all know the answer to that one.

the coaches should encourage the kids to make the right decision but the players shouldnt commit until they know for sure that's where they want to go, if not then dont commit

Schools want that early commitment - once they commit it is something "solid" for the coaches to hang on them if they think they are waivering. Help the kids make the right choice............ :laugh:

It is about winning - not the kids. That is the ENTIRE reason kiffin took a commitment from a 14 yr old - or whatever

But if you take the kids commitment - you best have deep and invisible pockets or know when to call :bs: when/if the time calls.

This will never work. There is no honor among thieves and in this case both parties are thieves (the recruits and the coaches).

wde

What would be best is if the NCAA put a rule in place that says you have to take all of the visits you are going to take BEFORE you commit. If a school talks you into committing before you have used your allotment, you forfeit the remainder. This will make sure kids see everything before making a decision and provide incentive to not pull the trigger too soon.

They also should ban committing to a school within 5 days of an official visit. This will help the kids not to make a commitment based on a gut reaction.

Finally, they should put a rule in place that says only non-committed players can announce on TV. If you want to switch schools, you are required to decommit first and wait a week to commit elsewhere... no flipping. This will prevent certain coaches from hurting their rival schools by "placing" commitments in their classes and then pulling them when it's too late to replace them.

Will any of this happen? No. Why? Because the NCAA is FAR more interested in the circus than they are in the well being of the athletes.

What would be best is if the NCAA put a rule in place that says you have to take all of the visits you are going to take BEFORE you commit. If a school talks you into committing before you have used your allotment, you forfeit the remainder. This will make sure kids see everything before making a decision and provide incentive to not pull the trigger too soon.

They also should ban committing to a school within 5 days of an official visit. This will help the kids not to make a commitment based on a gut reaction.

Finally, they should put a rule in place that says only non-committed players can announce on TV. If you want to switch schools, you are required to decommit first and wait a week to commit elsewhere... no flipping. This will prevent certain coaches from hurting their rival schools by "placing" commitments in their classes and then pulling them when it's too late to replace them.

Will any of this happen? No. Why? Because the NCAA is FAR more interested in the circus than they are in the well being of the athletes.

I vote you for the next head of the NCAA.

I vote you for the next head of the NCAA.

I 2nd this.

• 1 month later...

Maturity at 18?

I have no idea the statistics, but very few kids who have been told how great they are in national media know the meaning of commitment. Not that it's all their fault either. Thanks BSPN twitter and their ilk for creating this condition. It's here and this draconian action will backfire.

Since a "commitment" in this situation is not binding, nothing is signed and neither party is obliged to do anything because of said commitment, there is no way the NCAA or anybody else can forbid a kid from making a commitment, or for that matter committing to ten different schools at the same press conference.

The statement "I've committed to State U" has no meaning and therefore is not something that a rule can be made about.

• 3 weeks later...

Since a "commitment" in this situation is not binding, nothing is signed and neither party is obliged to do anything because of said commitment, there is no way the NCAA or anybody else can forbid a kid from making a commitment, or for that matter committing to ten different schools at the same press conference.

The statement "I've committed to State U" has no meaning and therefore is not something that a rule can be made about.

The word "commitment" doesn't carry the weight now that it used to. To a 17-18 yr old testosterone filled male, commitment just means "I like you", it does not mean "I love you and want to spend the rest of my life with you".

Archived