***DoubleX Game from History***

DoubleX

1965 Auburn vs (7) Florida

It was a cool, crisp October afternoon on the Plains, the day before Halloween. Waves of students and alumnus packed old Cliff-Hare Stadium in anticipation for the first televised game in Auburn. On one sideline loomed the powerful #7 ranked Florida Gators, led by golden boy Steve Spurrier. The Gators were riding a 3 game winning streak into Auburn, one that included the dismantling of southern powers LSU and Ole Miss.

On the other side of the gridiron were the seemingly hapless Tigers. They possessed a lackluster 2-3-1 record and were coming fresh off an embarrassing 3-0 loss to Southern Miss. One sportswriter went as far to say that the USM game was the "poorest outing of Shug Jordan's career". The loyal homecoming crowd just wanted Auburn to hang in there.

The 10-0 halftime score wasn't near as bad as it could've been. The Spurrier powered offense had managed to drive into Auburn territory 6 out of their 7 first half possessions. The sloppy Tiger attack didn't manage a first down for the first 27 minutes of play. The spectators didn't know it, but one of the most exciting halves of Auburn football was to follow.

Pedestrian gunslinger Alex Bowden lofted a 30 yard pass to Scotty Long on the opening possession. In a blink of an eye, Auburn was within a field goal. The very next play following the kickoff, Auburn's All American linebacker, "Wild" Bill Cody, intercepted a Spurrier pass and scrambled 30 yards into the end zone. The underdogs were ahead 14-10.

But the Heisman winner wasn't about to go out that easily. Spurrier marched Florida 80 yards to regain a field goal lead, putting the pressure back on young Alex Bowden. He didn't disappoint. Freddie Hyatt hauled in a 70 yard bomb on the next possession. Hyatt reportedly taunted the Gator safety by singing "See Ya Later, Alligator" on his way to the pay dirt.

But with a measly 4 point and 2 minutes to play, the contest was still undecided. That's when Wild Cody knocked the pigskin loose, scooped it up on the hop, and lunged over the goal line to secure Shug's 100th career victory.

The Homecoming crowd at Cliff Hare exploded into a frenzy. The young Tigers had just shocked the mighty Gators on national television. The Birmingham News may have said it best: "Alex Bowden, a raggedy sort of quarterback for four years, was nothing but princely this beautiful homecoming afternoon."

Was there to see..........Old Wid Bill #11 was on fire that day..Course his flat top haircut didn't hurt but his had hard times in his life.Bill Cody was a standout linebacker for the Auburn Tigers in the season of 1964, now 66 and after years of service in the National Football League, “Wild” Bill has fond memories and NO memories of times spent on the gridiron;

During a 1964 game in Gainesville, Fla., Cody too a particularly hard hit and headed to the bench.The only problem was that he went to the Florida sideline.“I don’t know how I got knocked silly, but I actually went over and sat down on their bench,” said Cody, who had suffered a concussion. “Kenny Howard, the old trainer at Auburn, he came over and got me. I don’t remember this, but they told me that’s what happened.”

His memory lapse does not end with that game, rather it is just beginning to manifest itself in his life now, and he truly and deeply believes that it is due to his multiple concussions in the game;

“My wife over the period of the last 3 or 4 years has said, ‘You don’t ever listen’ or ‘why didn’t you do what I told you,’” Cody said. “All wives say those things, but I don’t remember her telling me that. That’s become more frequent. If she told me something yesterday, I might or might not remember.“It is just frustrating that you just did something yesterday or the day before and you can’t remember what you did. You know you did something. Two or three days later it might all of a sudden just hit you.”

Lost Lettermen is a great site to follow fellow AU players. we are still trying to find many players.http://www.lostlette...ll-sec-p135256/

Was there to see..........Old Wid Bill #11 was on fire that day..Course his flat top haircut didn't hurt but his had hard times in his life.Bill Cody was a standout linebacker for the Auburn Tigers in the season of 1964, now 66 and after years of service in the National Football League, “Wild” Bill has fond memories and NO memories of times spent on the gridiron;

During a 1964 game in Gainesville, Fla., Cody too a particularly hard hit and headed to the bench.The only problem was that he went to the Florida sideline.“I don’t know how I got knocked silly, but I actually went over and sat down on their bench,” said Cody, who had suffered a concussion. “Kenny Howard, the old trainer at Auburn, he came over and got me. I don’t remember this, but they told me that’s what happened.”

His memory lapse does not end with that game, rather it is just beginning to manifest itself in his life now, and he truly and deeply believes that it is due to his multiple concussions in the game;

“My wife over the period of the last 3 or 4 years has said, ‘You don’t ever listen’ or ‘why didn’t you do what I told you,’” Cody said. “All wives say those things, but I don’t remember her telling me that. That’s become more frequent. If she told me something yesterday, I might or might not remember.“It is just frustrating that you just did something yesterday or the day before and you can’t remember what you did. You know you did something. Two or three days later it might all of a sudden just hit you.”

Lost Lettermen is a great site to follow fellow AU players. we are still trying to find many players.http://www.lostlette...ll-sec-p135256/

Dang Golf. Were you around for the Carlisle game also?

Are you kidding! Golf had a front row seat at Appomatox Courthouse! ;D

Who do you think showed me how to drink beer....Jim Thorpe.... damn those Indians knew how to play real football.

Archived