Auburn football v academia riff of the late '80s

Budapesttiger

During the 1980's, the success, growth and power of Auburn sports created a riff between many within the University. The academics saw the University as putting too much emphasis on sports. There were articles in the Plainsmen, as I recall about this and that. There was certainly discussion of this issue on campus.

Much has been made of the discontinuance of the journalism department for the hard feelings of one not to be named lady blog poster - former journalist. It is possible that the hard feelings towards the sports programs goes much deeper.

I came to Auburn as a Freshman in 1987. The football team was powering through the schedule (Except for Florida State...ouch). I was excited to be at Auburn where generations had gone before me. I loved football Saturdays and it seemed like the week revolved only around this (Which would explain my grades my first quarter). As we went along - Tigers to the Sugar bowl, the University building a new library there was a palpable distinction between the two 'schools' of thought.

Most of the rest is conjecture on my part, granted. The lady blogger felt slighted by the University for allowing sports to be so dominant when at the same time real majors were being gobbled up because of budget cuts or whatever. For her and many others there was a real hate for all things football and sports. There obviously still is.

Does this information solve the current question/problem? No. I just wanted to give you some feedback about what I remember from being a student and what i first thought when I read her bio.

Yeah Budapest, I think your memory is spot on about SR. She certainly comes across with that attitude of disdain in her writings and its a carry over from when I was at AU in the 70's. Academics are jealous about the football program. Someone from the Econ dept should inform those of that attitude just what football does for the university, ESPECIALLY in making the school known to the public (good or bad press) and that it helps pay salaries, including the journalism dept.

Thanks for the post. It gives great perspective on the issue with SR.

WDE !!!

I was at AU from Fall 1984 through Spring 1990. The "academics vs. athletics" debate seemed to have coincided with the construction of the east upper deck. The east upper deck construction was extended for a year, and that was almost like a bone being thrown to the academic critics. At the same time, Ralph Brown Draughon Library was being expanded, with much the expansion paid for by the athletic department. This was not enough to satiate the academic critics of the athletic department.

Budapest, 34-6 was a butt whipping. No doubt about it. As to your topic, I guess SR was witness to some things during her time at AU that in her opinion, didn't place AU in the greatest light. Whatever made her jaded, it's a shame she is still grinding that ax 25 years later. As for academic jealousy on the AU campus. I recall Coach Bryant being asked about how he felt being the highest paid faculty member on campus. He replied that he was the only professor that had to give mid terms in front of 70,000 people.

Who can forget that we reportedly lost Emmitt Smith to UF because his mother was afraid he would be able to avoid going to class like Brent Fullwood did his last year.

Who can forget that we reportedly lost Emmitt Smith to UF because his mother was afraid he would be able to avoid going to class like Brent Fullwood did his last year.

I can. I forget almost everything that has "reportedly" in the sentence because most times it isn't true, just like SR's "reportedly" crap.

fwiw, strong athletics and strong academics are not mutually exclusive. Composite exhibit A: Michigan, Stanford, UF, Texas, blah blah blah. Auburn traditionally has both too. Also, our football success under Dye (like Spurriers at Florida) is directly related to funding for library improvements, etc etc.

The ivory tower world of academia cultivates those one-dimensional folks who know little outside their academic specialty and IMHO, most that whine about athletics being "over stressed" are shut-ins and frankly ignorant pseudo/quasi-intellectuals.

To quote the Duke of Wellington: "the Battle of Waterloo was won on the playing fields of Eton College".

Recall Harvard's recent scandal where its administration ADMITTED athletes were receiving what amounted to undeserved grades/favors/passing? The sport media coveredit for about a day. (And yes, Harvard is subject to NCAA rules in all its sports except intramurals and mens rowing).

I can. I forget almost everything that has "reportedly" in the sentence because most times it isn't true, just like SR's "reportedly" crap.

Oh BS. To tie the Fullwood story to SR's story is using tactics thst she would. "Reportedly", is not a dirty word, it all depends on who you are quoting.

Mrs. Smith's sentiments were widely reported back then, and there are no doubts about how Dye handled the Fullwood situation.

To say that most things following the word "reportedly" aren't true is silly. To say you don't remember the Fullwood story is hard to believe.

Archived