Please take my survey here on AU's unclaimed championships

Eagle5

War Eagle, mates!

Unless you've been in a cave in recent months, you're aware of AU grad and author Mike Skotnicki's book, Auburn's Unclaimed Championships. Mike is a good friend, heck of an Auburn man, and also an attorney who prepares apellate briefs. As such, he is uniquely skilled to have conducted the thorough research on those seasons which should potentially be considered for recognition as "championships", as other programs have done (most recently, Texas A&M last year).

As you'll see at the link below on Mike's site, he has gotten substantial media interest in recent weeks, and from what I've observed, very respectful reaction to his work. I personally see substantial value in marketing the rich history and success of Auburn's program much like other D-I programs have done.

I am interested in the candid opinions of the Auburn fanbase on the question of recognizing additional championships, and would be grateful for 3 minutes of your time to complete this 10 question survey!

If you wish to inform yourself a bit more prior to taking the survey, hit this link:

http://www.auburnsunclaimed.com/

Otherwise, mash here to take the survey:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/VY7CVNQ

Thanks! I'll publish results at a later date once a valid sample size is reached!

War Eagle!

I took the survey though since you have no controls, there's nothing stopping a few hundred uat fans from flooding it with their responses either. It might be hard to certify this as the "consensus among AU fans/alumni" but it would be interesting to see what that group thinks.

For the record, I'm not for claiming any national championships outside the AP/UPI/BCS (whatever the real consensus poll of the day was). If Harvey's Bait Shop wanted to name uat their national champion, they would and uat would stick it on a flag. I'm not for copying that practice myself as there's only one other university in the country to uses those tactics and one day there will be enough attention to it they will have to reduce their number.

I took the survey though since you have no controls, there's nothing stopping a few hundred uat fans from flooding it with their responses either. It might be hard to certify this as the "consensus among AU fans/alumni" but it would be interesting to see what that group thinks.

For the record, I'm not for claiming any national championships outside the AP/UPI/BCS (whatever the real consensus poll of the day was). If Harvey's Bait Shop wanted to name uat their national champion, they would and uat would stick it on a flag. I'm not for copying that practice myself as there's only one other university in the country to uses those tactics and one day there will be enough attention to it they will have to reduce their number.

+1....and wont ever change my mind....ever!

I'm well aware of the inherent survey risk of UAT mouthbreathers infiltrating, and I've covered that risk via other means which I won't go into. As for differing opinions on the question, I obviously would never want AU to include a year like bammer's 1941, which is laughable. For the record, Skotnicki sets the bar for a championship much higher than that.

If AU fans will do their homework, and actually read Skotnicki's book, they'll learn that recognizing additional seasons is NOT simply a practice adopted by bammer. Quite the contrary - it's more like Auburn is in a minority group of D-I programs which are uniquely being "purist" on what seasons to recognize.

But opinions may vary, thus the point of a survey. But it's not rocket surgery, so . . .

I'm well aware of the inherent survey risk of UAT mouthbreathers infiltrating, and I've covered that risk via other means which I won't go into. As for differing opinions on the question, I obviously would never want AU to include a year like bammer's 1941, which is laughable. For the record, Skotnicki sets the bar for a championship much higher than that.

But opinions may vary, thus the point of a survey. But it's not rocket surgery, so . . .

Yeah, I would be interested in a large sample size outcome from this. I may find myself in the minority and that's fine with me. I'm OK with others wanting to claim those and wouldn't disown the university if they decided to do so. I just feel it's a bit petty at this point to claim them is all. Just like it was for uat to do so in the 80's.

Yeah, I would be interested in a large sample size outcome from this. I may find myself in the minority and that's fine with me. I'm OK with others wanting to claim those and wouldn't disown the university if they decided to do so. I just feel it's a bit petty at this point to claim them is all. Just like it was for uat to do so in the 80's.

A perfectly legitimate point of view, my AU friend. Nothing wrong with that. I'd say what makes the issue interesting is that there does in fact exist several approaches to the PR of "championships" among the football top 50 or so. No criteria exactly exists to externally control which approaches are "official". Even USCw very recently researched and added 1939 I believe it was.

Heck I would claim them. These guys worked hard for what they earned so I say give it to them. Also it is great for publicity for our school and good for recruiting.

I'd love to recognize these teams, by I'd honestly rather not recognize then as national champions if they have not been recognized by the majority of polls as a national champion.

As I posted in the "comments" section of the survey, if we're to add even one of these we might as well add all of them that have any sort of legitimate claim to being #1.

FWIW, I favor adding all of them.

As you can see from my signature I am all for claiming additional championships. I would claim all of them except 1958. Two seasons, 1983 (most poll selectors @ 20 voting AU #1, highest ranked team to win its bowl, most AP #1 votes, toughest SOS) and 2004 (for obvious reasons), should have been claimed a long time ago imo.

This is Auburn's choice to make and nobody else's so Auburn shouldn't be shy about recognizing the players on these great teams. Furthermore, Auburn should do this without regard to the opinion of any other school or organization. After all, poll championships are just opinion championships anyway although there are a couple teams and/or fan bases that try to make them out for more than what they really are, opinions.

All our football championships should be recognized. While we're at it, the 1900 and 1904 teams were name as SIAA champions. I feel those 2 championships should go right next to the other championships in 1910, 1913, 1914, 1958, 1983, 1993, 2004. (1957 and 2010) That's a total of 11 Football National Championships.

May as well....the NCAA doesn't recognize any of them until the Franklins start rolling in. :)

Boy do I not care about this. It is funny that UA claims as many as they do, but I would rather keep the math fuzzy. That way I can say bama has more but not that many more. Im for keeping it at 2. Let fools speak fool speak.

More interesting than retroactively self-awarding subjective titles when there were virtually no award guidelines back in the day, NOT recognizing (stadium banners, etc) our TWELVE (12) undefeated seasons (source: "Football Stassen") belittles our athletes that played on those teams.

I guess during the pre-BCS years when it was unusual to NOT have teams sharing the title, if a recognized media source contemporaneously awarded us the title (e.g. the NYT in '83) we might in good conscience consider claiming it. At least such standards avoids similarities to slimey Bama claims like the '42 title when it lost the last 2 games of the year, finished ranked '14th and almost 40 years later was awarded the title by some guy with a typewriter.

The one I would recognize is the 1913 team. In doing my own research that team is recognized as champions by more people nationally than by Auburn people.

I'm fine with recognizing all of them. Those guys earned it on the field.

I'm tired of having to explain why "15 vs 2" is not a realistic comparison to a bama fan who has no idea what I'm talking about.

Our athletic department and our record books should start claiming all 11 national championships because their all legit.

I am against it but will say that if Auburn did do it then there should be some fanfare involved. Put up flags in the stadium, make t-shirts, go all out but know that it will change nothing in this state. In fact it will likely make it worse living with Alabama fans. Most dumb redneck Bammers do not realize they did the same thing in the 80's to add the championships that they were awarded. They just think that was always what they had. Even the older ones who know better are brainwashed into thinking that Alabama always claimed these titles. If we do claim ours then we will be seen as trying to make up championships to catch them or something along that line. Bammers will laugh and in no way will they listen when you try and explain why it is being done.

I am against it but will say that if Auburn did do it then there should be some fanfare involved. Put up flags in the stadium, make t-shirts, go all out but know that it will change nothing in this state. In fact it will likely make it worse living with Alabama fans. Most dumb redneck Bammers do not realize they did the same thing in the 80's to add the championships that they were awarded. They just think that was always what they had. Even the older ones who know better are brainwashed into thinking that Alabama always claimed these titles. If we do claim ours then we will be seen as trying to make up championships to catch them or something along that line. Bammers will laugh and in no way will they listen when you try and explain why it is being done.

Probably, but I don't give a rats' azz about what the bamzos say or think. It's an Auburn decision whether or not to claim these titles and if fans of other schools don't like it they can lump it.

Archived