8. Reggie Slack

7. Patrick Nix

6. Travis Tidwell

5. Jimmy Sidle

4. Jason Campbell

3. Stan White

2. Pat Sullivan

1. Loran Carter/ Cam

Thanks for mentioning QB Lloyd Nix Golf. All he did was have a perfect season, win a national championship while playing both ways as a defensive back. I doubt a lot of the youngsters on here even know who he is. I guess if it didn't happen in the last 30 years or so nobody qualifies. Life moves on. WDE!!!

Jimmy would have been a fantastic wishbone QB

Never thought about him in the wishbone before, but you are right. He would have excelled.

I know it is a sign of the times and I certainly never saw him play, but I do remember the name Travis Tidwell. He played QB for AU in the late 40s. Two time All American. Led the nation in offense 2 seperate years. Held most QB records at AU until Sully. SEC player of year. Led AU to big upset over UAT in 1949 (my mom was at that game and said it was great). Seventh overall player drafted in NFL.

I believe that is deserving of a top 5 ranking on this list.

I know it is a sign of the times and I certainly never saw him play, but I do remember the name Travis Tidwell. He played QB for AU in the late 40s. Two time All American. Led the nation in offense 2 seperate years. Held most QB records at AU until Sully. SEC player of year. Led AU to big upset over UAT in 1949 (my mom was at that game and said it was great). Seventh overall player drafted in NFL.

I believe that is deserving of a top 5 ranking on this list.

:hellyeah: I watched that 1949 game API won 14-13, with Travis doing some spectacular open field running. That game avenged the 55-0 shellacking we took in the 1948 renewal of varsity competition with UA.

10. Lloyd Nix

9. Dameyune Craig

8. Reggie Slack

7. Patrick Nix

6. Travis Tidwell

5. Jimmy Sidle

4. Jason Campbell

3. Stan White

2. Pat Sullivan

1. Loran Carter/ Cam

Who and are you serious?

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=348&dat=19671224&id=hhUwAAAAIBAJ&sjid=xjUDAAAAIBAJ&pg=4371,6429352

10. Lloyd Nix

9. Dameyune Craig

8. Reggie Slack

7. Patrick Nix

6. Travis Tidwell

5. Jimmy Sidle

4. Jason Campbell

3. Stan White

2. Pat Sullivan

1. Loran Carter/ Cam

Who and are you serious?

http://news.google.c...pg=4371,6429352

My how the game has changed. They played ten games then. Mr. Carter was 86-178 for 1,307 yards. Our career leading receiver had 88 catches. I am old school, ground and pound, but am glad the game has progressed from that.

Glad Randy Campbell is on many lists. He was not flashy but he got AU in the right play just about every time and rarely made a mistake. When Dye arrived Barfield had Campbell like 3rd string WR.

• 5 months later...

As of Post #34 this is an alphabetical summary of the names mentioned in this thread with an approximate count of the number of times (not counting quoted material) they were mentioned.

=====================================

Jeff Burger (5)

Jason Campbell (10)

Randy Campbell (6)

Loran Carter (2)

Brandon Cox (12)

Dameyunne Craig (14)

Ben Leard (2)

Cam Newton (11)

Lloyd Nix (2)

Pat Nix (9)

Jimmy Sidle (11)

Reggie Slack (8)

Pat Sullivan (13)

Travis Tidwell (5)

Chris Todd (4)

Randy Walls

Pat Washington (3)

Stan White (12)

=====================================

#1 "with his hands tied behind his back and blindfolded, Pat Sullivan would be a seven point favorite at his own execution " Alf Van Hoose

#1 "with his hands tied behind his back and blindfolded, Pat Sullivan would be a seven point favorite at his own execution " Alf Van Hoose

excellent quote there. I always enjoyed reading Mr. Van Hoose. He was a true journalist.

So after one season does Marshall crack the top 10?

If he wins a Natty for us I don't see how you can't put him as a top 10 QB for us. If he gets efficient with passing next year he could be as dangerous as Cam was too.

So after one season does Marshall crack the top 10?

If he wins a Natty for us I don't see how you can't put him as a top 10 QB for us. If he gets efficient with passing next year he could be as dangerous as Cam was too.

He'd be more dangerous tbh

A better runner (swifter)

An emotional machine

Probably equal passing

1. Newton (Natty and Heisman)

2. Sullivan (Heisman)

3. L. Nix (Natty)

4. J. Campbell (Undefeated should-fave-been-natty)

5. White (Undefeated should-fave-been-natty)

6. Craig

7. R. Campbell (should-fave-been-natty)

8. Slack

9. Burger

10. P. Nix

Chris Todd's 2 years at AU were bitter sweet. His first year was a mess because of the coach situation. He came on his senior year with Gus as OC. I really think with a healthy throwing arm he would have been amazing. The 2009 iron bowl might have been our win too.

1. Newton (Natty and Heisman)

2. Sullivan (Heisman)

3. L. Nix (Natty)

4. J. Campbell (Undefeated should-fave-been-natty)

5. White (Undefeated should-fave-been-natty)

6. Craig

7. R. Campbell (should-fave-been-natty)

8. Slack

9. Burger

10. P. Nix

This is a good list and would only edit slightly moving Craig to #5, Slack to #6 and Burger to #7 White #8, Nix to #9 and Campbell #10.

Archived