Coaches to Keep Final Poll Vote Secret

CShine

The final coaches' vote before the Orange Bowl will stay a secret ballot. Despite some calls to make their picks public, the 61 college football coaches who vote in the USA Today/ESPN poll decided not to release their choices at the end of the regular season.

Grant Teaff, executive director of the American Football Coaches Association, surveyed the 61 coaches earlier this month. He said it was a split opinion — about 31-30 against.

"There was not a clear majority," Teaff said Tuesday on a conference call.

Teaff, a longtime voter as coach at Baylor in the 1970s and '80s, said he preferred to see the ballots released.

"It would be a positive thing for everybody, and I would lobby for it," he said. "I don't have a problem with it."

The coaches poll and The Associated Press media poll each count for one-third of a team's Bowl Championship Series ranking. An average of six computer rankings makes up the other third.

Ballots of AP voters are made available when warranted.

The two top teams in the BCS rankings will play in the Orange Bowl on Jan. 4.

Teaff said all Division I coaches voted 88-29 after last season to keep the ballots secret. The survey came after Southern California and LSU split the national championship.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...c_coaches__vote

I heard somewhere (talk radio, but I don't know which station) that some voters are voting Auburn in 5th or 6th place in order to keep their totals lower. If that is the case, no wonder they want to keep the votes secret. :angry:

I think they need to go public with it. It would show if a coach is giving a team an 'obvious stab in the back' just to keep their point total lower. Or it would show if someone is 'over-rating' a team to make them look better. Tuberville has very few friends among the SEC coaches. We need the ones that vote to vote in our favor, or at least not rate us down low because of past differences. And if, say Cutcliff or Holtz, is rating us too much lower than the rest of the nation, then we have a problem that needs fixing.

Since the BCS computers are run by a bunch of eggheads that probably know nothing about football why don't they apply some statistical formulas to the voting. Take a average of all the votes and throw out the ones that fall outside of the norm. That would take any bias out of the VOTING.

After Bobby Stoops blasted ESPN maybe their voters will vote Oklahoma outside the top ten to prove a point.

what kind of hedging statements are those?

He said it was a split opinion — about 31-30 against.

"There was not a clear majority," Teaff said Tuesday on a conference call.

emphasis mine.

ABOUT 31-30? what, grant, you can't count 61 votes and get an EXACT figure?

further, either a MAJORITY exists or it doesn't; with 61 votes being cast, if everyone voted, then there would HAVE TO BE A 'CLEAR' MAJORITY!

as far as the coaches voting NOT to have their ballots made public, you gotta wonder why. either they are doing something screwy to make one of their conference's teams fare better, OR they are doing something screwy to shaft one of their conference's teams.

either way, we the people should know.

i think the approximately 30 coaches that voted to have them made public should go public w/ their votes anyway...thereby narrowing down those who didn't....and how THEY voted. that'd be interesting.

ct

i think the approximately 30 coaches that voted to have them made public should go public w/ their votes anyway...thereby narrowing down those who didn't....and how THEY voted.  that'd be interesting.

ct

122875[/snapback]

That would also put pressure on the approximatly 30 coaches who voted to remain secret as to why they wouldn't go public. Do they have something they don't want people to see? Are they voting erratically and by that I mean are they intentionally voting someone high who shouldn't be that high or low who shouldn't be that low? We're on the outside looking in with nothing to look at, but 'I smell something fishy, and I'm not near a fish market'.

Archived