2015 3* LB Robert Muschamp (preferred walk-on at AU)

CadillacCone

• 1 year later...

He "commits" to Auburn ... will walk-on ...

Excited to say I'm going to continue my football career at Auburn University!! #WarEagle

@robertmuschamp

The 6’2”, 225-pounder, who is the nephew of Tigers defensive coordinator Will Muschamp, will be a preferred walk-on at Auburn.

He will also move over to offense and play H-back, per Hokanson.

He chose the Tigers over scholarship offers from Air Force, Army, Central Arkansas and Wofford.

"My whole family, I've been a huge Auburn fan my whole life," Robert Muschamp told Hokanson. "I've always wanted to end up there. I think I would have went there even if he (Will Muschamp) wasn't a part of the program. It's my dream to play there."

According to Field Street Forum, Robert Muschamp—who played both tight end and linebacker at Darlington High School in Rome, Georgia—has good hands and the skill set necessary to be a good blocker at H-back.

http://bleacherrepor...will-be-walk-on

B8DbLFrIYAA-tDW.jpg

Good pickup and no scholly used if he develops into an H-Back it could be a great pickup has the size and that position is about smarts knowing who to hit or not hit, reading the defense and also being able to flare out as a safety valve he has the height and frame for it. Will need to add 20 pounds but looks big enough to do that. Also takes a little bit of a mean streak and a love for hitting people. Welcome to Auburn and War Eagle

Good pickup and no scholly used if he develops into an H-Back it could be a great pickup has the size and that position is about smarts knowing who to hit or not hit, reading the defense and also being able to flare out as a safety valve he has the height and frame for it. Will need to add 20 pounds but looks big enough to do that. Also takes a little bit of a mean streak and a love for hitting people. Welcome to Auburn and War Eagle

I imagine he's got the mean streak covered. I'm guessing that is a family trait.

I'm sure Gus will give Robert an offer.

No he won't. Robert wants to walk on. Let him...no need to waste a scholarship.

He went to Darlington in Rome Ga. (For those not familiar........Very Elite Private School)

His family can certainly afford the AU tuition. I have no problem with this either.

He went to Darlington in Rome Ga. (For those not familiar........Very Elite Private School)

His family can certainly afford the AU tuition. I have no problem with this either.

I appreciate it when people who have families with ability to afford college do so thus not taking a scholarship slot.

I appreciate it when people who have families with ability to afford college do so thus not taking a scholarship slot.

That's what I did when I went to Auburn. I didn't take a scholarship slot either.

Nearly impossible for a walkon to see the field the way things are now with nearly 85 elite athletes many of them not getting much PT. I think we had 3 H-Back invited walkons last year. One actually did play a few snaps. #37 Hunter Wood I believe may have been the only walk-on to do it (except special teams snappers, holders). We need some Special Teams warriors. If Robert is as agressive as his uncle I believe he could help on Special Teams if he gets an opportunity. WDE

Nearly impossible for a walkon to see the field the way things are now with nearly 85 elite athletes many of them not getting much PT. I think we had 3 H-Back invited walkons last year. One actually did play a few snaps. #37 Hunter Wood I believe may have been the only walk-on to do it (except special teams snappers, holders). We need some Special Teams warriors. If Robert is as agressive as his uncle I believe he could help on Special Teams if he gets an opportunity. WDE

I would not say it is easy but I would not say it is impossible. I remember a wide reciver not that many years back that was our number one guy and a walk on. I belive his name was Rod Smith. Correct me if I am wrong. There are walk ons every year that make impacts on teams across the country. It will also help that he is a preferred walk on. I beleave alot of these guys take the schollys to smaller schools now a days instead of walking on somewhere like AU. There is better playing time and they are seen more than they used to be. I will always pull for a kid that plays at AU becouse he wants to be here scholly or not. Good luck to yor Mr. Muschamp!

If I'm not mistaken, Alex Lincoln was a walkon and lead the team in tackles for at least 1 season.

I had forgotten about Skutack. Does anyone what he's up to these days?

I think Coach Fishers son recently played at AU as a walkon the whole time. He saw the field too. Pretty sure the Fishers love AU. Dad visited all the time.

Archived