Who are the worst fits of those currently being considered for USC

BamaGrad03

Other than Del RIo, I can't see any of the others voluntarily taking the task to re-build that program when he will not have 85 players on scholarship for another three or four years at best.....and probably longer. There is just nothing for any of them to gain and as someone suggested another thread, the guy who is hired now will last a few years and then be shuffled off to get a big name coach.

There's gotta be another Shula out there to take them through the slim scholly days till they can find another Saban to snag from the pro's.

Shula was a Bama guy who more or less sacrificed his career to take a job that nobody wanted.....and of course now all Bamas are quick to express their appreciation for what he did.....? :-\

He was a Bama guy that their administration knew wouldn't embarrass the program like Dubose & Price. They knew he'd take the job and see them through the scholly reductions, along with the fund-raising efforts to put $$ in the coffers for future expansion, facility upgrades, etc. to entice a seasoned coach to take over when the brunt of the sanctioned ended.

USC is still going to have it tough for a few years with those scholly reductions, it may take 2-3 years before they can field a full roster, and 4-5 years before they can fill it with the caliber of studs Carrol pulled in. They needed an interim guy to get them through this, they chose a spoiled rotten brat that was living under his daddy's name and once Monty left the USC folks saw Lane for what he really was and they kicked him to the curb. USC is still a top 5 HC job and i think some youngish coach will be willing to rebuild the Trojans back to where they should be.

Other than Del RIo, I can't see any of the others voluntarily taking the task to re-build that program when he will not have 85 players on scholarship for another three or four years at best.....and probably longer. There is just nothing for any of them to gain and as someone suggested another thread, the guy who is hired now will last a few years and then be shuffled off to get a big name coach.

There's gotta be another Shula out there to take them through the slim scholly days till they can find another Saban to snag from the pro's.

Shula was a Bama guy who more or less sacrificed his career to take a job that nobody wanted.....and of course now all Bamas are quick to express their appreciation for what he did.....? :-\

He was a Bama guy that their administration knew wouldn't embarrass the program like Dubose & Price. They knew he'd take the job and see them through the scholly reductions, along with the fund-raising efforts to put $$ in the coffers for future expansion, facility upgrades, etc. to entice a seasoned coach to take over when the brunt of the sanctioned ended.

USC is still going to have it tough for a few years with those scholly reductions, it may take 2-3 years before they can field a full roster, and 4-5 years before they can fill it with the caliber of studs Carrol pulled in. They needed an interim guy to get them through this, they chose a spoiled rotten brat that was living under his daddy's name and once Monty left the USC folks saw Lane for what he really was and they kicked him to the curb. USC is still a top 5 HC job and i think some youngish coach will be willing to rebuild the Trojans back to where they should be.

I guess that's possible but it is pretty much a no-win situation for the next few years so why would a successful coach (or just an overly ambitious one) risk a major set-back in his career just to try and restore USCw? Shula was a Bama guy and IMO, "took one for the team". So maybe USCw will find a USCw guy who will take the arrows for a few years and then allow them to pull a top HC from somewhere.

I guess that's possible but it is pretty much a no-win situation for the next few years so why would a successful coach (or just an overly ambitious one) risk a major set-back in his career just to try and restore USCw? Shula was a Bama guy and IMO, "took one for the team". So maybe USCw will find a USCw guy who will take the arrows for a few years and then allow them to pull a top HC from somewhere.

I dunno, seems to be going well at Penn St. They aren't winning a ton of games, but I guarantee you the job that's been done up there has put Bill Obrien in a position to get an even better job should it come up.

It's a 50/50 deal IMO. Either it's good because expectations are lower since everyone knows what you've inherited. Or it's bad because you're at a name school and expectations don't change regardless of what you've been given.

I dunno, seems to be going well at Penn St. They aren't winning a ton of games, but I guarantee you the job that's been done up there has put Bill Obrien in a position to get an even better job should it come up.

It's a 50/50 deal IMO. Either it's good because expectations are lower since everyone knows what you've inherited. Or it's bad because you're at a name school and expectations don't change regardless of what you've been given.

Agree about Obrien....he kept almost all of the players and recruits when he arrived on campus and was able to keep the team competitive. But, the brunt of the scholarship losses are just now being applied....his big problems will start hitting the team in another year or two ....although the NCAA is giving them some relief. On the other hand, USCw was turned down when they asked for similar consideration.

Chris Peterson is the best fit IMO.

Thinking the same thing. He has coached with second hand talent against the best. He has an exciting offensive mind. He may even in some weird way fit in with the Hollyweird fan club.

Archived