2015 4* LB Darrell Williams commits to AU!

EagleDamnWar

Legitimate qualifying concerns here according to Hokanson.

Meta, how could he just now be popping up as a qualifying risk? I am not doubting you at all, I am just asking why now? I thought they looked into those things long ago on each prospective recruit. There are guys we have heard about being a risk for months, and his name was never mentioned. Now like 8 days until NSD we hear he very well may not make it in?

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is inexcusable for any kid coming out of Hoover to just now know they may not make qualifying. Counselor on top of counselor working with the athletes, especially a top notch recruit. It would have to come down to needing to pass a requirement in the very last semester of school.

Meta, how could he just now be popping up as a qualifying risk?

This isn't coming out just now. Both Williams and McGriff have been on the bubble for a while now. Typically you hope that guys like that can squeak in, I'd assume it will come down to the wire.

I knew I had seen McGriff and Holland mentioned as risks, but this was the first I had seen about Williams. We REALLY need him to make it in. Our LB numbers will be horrible after next season.

I sure would hate to sign both Williams and Holland, only to have neither qualify.

I guess I got spoiled after last season where everyone made it in. I know with the new rules, its not smart to go after too many guys who may not make it in. You literally waste those spots, if they dont qualify. We REALLY need this guy, I really hope he makes it.

If true, somebody at AU has messed up. There's no excuse for a school to not know the academic status of a prospective scholarship recipient. If it was assumed that Williams and McGriff were going to do certain things with their academics and they have failed to do so, that's on them and we should use the scholarship elsewhere.

People wanted somebody fired two years ago when D'Quille Williams and Jason Smith failed to qualify. Lets hope we don't waste two more slots this year when there are so many other guys interested in AU.

If true, somebody at AU has messed up. There's no excuse for a school to not know the academic status of a prospective scholarship recipient. If it was assumed that Williams and McGriff were going to do certain things with their academics and they have failed to do so, that's on them and we should use the scholarship elsewhere.

People wanted somebody fired two years ago when D'Quille Williams and Jason Smith failed to qualify. Lets hope we don't waste two more slots this year when there are so many other guys interested in AU.

I'm assuming you mean JaQuay Williams from 2012?

Yes! Thanks for catching my mistake.

If Williams does not qualify does AU still offer him or let him slide? Maybe his academic status is why the turds never really offered. I hope he makes it.

If we sign him next Wednesday it's a pretty good sign we think he'll qualify. If he doesn't sign, that indicates we think he hasn't got a chance of qualifying. It's a coaches judgement call because they can't foretell the future and see what his final high school grades will be. The sign/not sign decision has to be made before his school year is completed. That's what makes it tricky.

If Williams does not qualify does AU still offer him or let him slide? Maybe his academic status is why the turds never really offered. I hope he makes it.

If we sign him next Wednesday it's a pretty good sign we think he'll qualify. If he doesn't sign, that indicates we think he hasn't got a chance of qualifying. It's a coaches judgement call because they can't foretell the future and see what his final high school grades will be. The sign/not sign decision has to be made before his school year is completed. That's what makes it tricky.

Whatever the case, it's not a good sign

If memory serves, JaQuay Williams ended up signing with TAM. You guys might be thinking of Earnest Robinson---he was in the same recruiting class as Smith and neither one made it in.

Obviously Smith is back in the fold. Seems like Williams ended up with Petrino at WKU, maybe UL. Robinson, I believe, is in the pokey.

WDE!

Any more news concerning grades? I'm taking no news is good news

Probably is good news. I feel like we'd have heard something by now if there were issue, especially with what happened in the DM situation.

From all available reports around Hoover, there is no reason to be concerned about Williams's grades. I suppose those rumors were sore loser bammer BS. Of course, as with any player, "all available reports" could be wrong but it looks like there's nothing to worry about.

From all available reports around Hoover, there is no reason to be concerned about Williams's grades. I suppose those rumors were sore loser bammer BS. Of course, as with any player, "all available reports" could be wrong but it looks like there's nothing to worry about.

Never count out what the updykes will do. Remember Josh Chapman. But all in all I pretty good Williams is good to go.

His Mom has spent a lot of time in the AD offices the last few weekends. That is a good sign IMO, that he has someone to help make sure he gets things done. Doesn't happen for all of these kids.

I'm pretty sure after going 3-9 and the head coach getting fired had a little to do with JaQuay Williams' decision not to sign with Auburn and go with Texas A&M who had the latest Heisman winning QB with a fun looking pass-first offense at the time.

I, also, would've wanted to stay far away from AU after the sh*tstorm that was 2012. Nobody knew Gus was going to turn it around so quickly.

I'm pretty sure after going 3-9 and the head coach getting fired had a little to do with JaQuay Williams' decision not to sign with Auburn and go with Texas A&M who had the latest Heisman winning QB with a fun looking pass-first offense at the time.

I, also, would've wanted to stay far away from AU after the sh*tstorm that was 2012. Nobody knew Gus was going to turn it around so quickly.

Quite correct, but the point was that "placing" a kid in prep school or JUCO has nothing to do with where he signs later, after he gets qualified. J. Williams is the perfect example of that.

Quite correct, but the point was that "placing" a kid in prep school or JUCO has nothing to do with where he signs later, after he gets qualified. J. Williams is the perfect example of that.

Agreed.

Archived