2015 4* LB Darrell Williams commits to AU!

EagleDamnWar

It's not a bad thing either. The reason he isn't committed to Alabama is because they haven't offered him, and they don't appear to have him in their plans. It doesn't matter how much he likes Bama or their commits. If he doesn't have an offer, he can't go there. If he gets one, I expect him to flip. The amount of time he spends with their people is kind of irrelevant.

It's not a bad thing either. The reason he isn't committed to Alabama is because they haven't offered him, and they don't appear to have him in their plans. It doesn't matter how much he likes Bama or their commits. If he doesn't have an offer, he can't go there. If he gets one, I expect him to flip. The amount of time he spends with their people is kind of irrelevant.

That makes sense. i dont follow this but in your opinion do you think they just dont have a spot for him? I mean he's a terrific prospect isn't he?

Not that terrific or UAT would want him. However, we will have four (count 'em 4...Garrett, Swain, Frost, McKinzy) senior LB's next year. We have made no provision to keep the LB larder fully stocked. An "extra" would not be extra at all, he is essential and a fourth LB signee would be far from too many.

With Ellis out and it seeming somewhat likely that we could move away from the 4-2-5, we may already be at 4 LB's though if you now include Sullivan and Atikinson. With that said, I don't know that I'd turn down Roquan or Holland if either wanted to come aboard, regardless of what Williams does.

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Evans played a LOT for that team. Reuben isn't on the sidelines because he can't understand plays. He's on the sidelines because Dickson and DePriest were much better than him, and Saban decided to shorten his rotation instead of trying to save those two.

I think it's a mix. Some of our freshmen play. Lawson played. Adams played. Daniel played. Ruffin played. Tre Williams started to play, but essentially we made the same decision as Saban. We preferred to play a three man rotation at LB as opposed to getting Tre reps. He couldn't match the experience/ability level of Frost/McKinzy/Swain. Garrett was a late season add that got 15 snaps a game at LB, which basically sealed the deal on Tre getting reps.

Alabama gets some guys like Landon Collins or A'Shawn Robinson that are just ready. Evans was the same. So all three of those guys played. None of them started as freshmen. I was surprised Tre and Roberts fell out of the rotation this year. I expected to build their involvement, but it didn't happen.

As for Williams, I think they have more needs at other positions, and I think they have a lot of guys higher on their board that are still available. If that changes, they might offer him, but they've over-signed at LB for a few years. They don't have needs at that position the way they do at QB or DB or DE. They also have 21 current commitments. They do have numbers limits the same as everyone else.

Just for the record...Evans played in about half the games and was mostly on special teams and had almost no stats. Freshmen usually play because there is hole to fill....very few come to the SEC ready to start....or even play very much. Tre, like Roc did not play much because there guys in front of them who were better. Their days will come....but if we have many freshmen playing key roles...we are in for a long season....JMO.

I'm including the redshirts. I don't have a problem with that I'm saying we hear about how great our guys are but don't see them for three years because they're not ready....while our defense is less talented while not as deep. How does that make sense? We're missing on 90% of our players? Meanwhile some of the guys I named are headed to the nfl while some of ours have sat 3 years to be able to play in our highly effective complex defense....That just doesn't make sense to me

Well we've either been signing the wrong LB's or doing a pee-poor job of developing them. Lawson, Daniel and Adams would indicate that the D-line doesn't suffer from the same malaise as linebackers.

I'd say Lawson and Adams would. And I'm not saying all the going guys playing at the same time or anything I'm saying many times we say coach so and so can use playing time as an incentive for us, but in reality we can't because we don't play them. Take Evans as an example when we didn't get him everybody of course didn't want him anyway and he'd never see the field when we actually played as much as he would have here....on top of that though their defense is clearly a little better than ours so why is it he'd have to wait so long here? I think we're not always putting the most talent on the field

I'd say Lawson and Adams would. And I'm not saying all the going guys playing at the same time or anything I'm saying many times we say coach so and so can use playing time as an incentive for us, but in reality we can't because we don't play them. Take Evans as an example when we didn't get him everybody of course didn't want him anyway and he'd never see the field when we actually played as much as he would have here....on top of that though their defense is clearly a little better than ours so why is it he'd have to wait so long here? I think we're not always putting the most talent on the field

I think Evans would have played here, he was miles ahead of Foster as a high school player. I don't know who was saying Evans wouldn't have played here his freshman year but it wasn't me. I really expected Tre Williams to be starting or at least fully in the rotation by the K-State game. Not sure what happened there unless Tre was simply over-rated by the services.

I've got a sneaking suspicion that Saban may try to offer this kid a grey shirt at the very last minute. This would keep us from getting him and Saban and the kid would both be happy.

He should talk to Stephen Roberts and Kal.

I would say they don't offer him because it's not a huge position of need right now.

I think Evans would have played here, he was miles ahead of Foster as a high school player. I don't know who was saying Evans wouldn't have played here his freshman year but it wasn't me. I really expected Tre Williams to be starting or at least fully in the rotation by the K-State game. Not sure what happened there unless Tre was simply over-rated by the services.

you underrated the talent on the roster

you underrated the talent on the roster

The season's results don't gee-haw with that assessment. "If you need 6 yards just run at AU's linebackers" seems to be a common theme around the SEC.

...And so it begins again.

Evans played in 12 of 13 games, and he had a number of defensive snaps every game I saw in the second half of the season. Not sure why anyone thinks he played in half the games. We have access to participation charts for the season and each individual game. Season stats

He would've played for us this year. He probably would've been used as a DE because he is already bigger and more physical than Brandon King. If nothing else, we would've used him as a situational rusher.

...And so it begins again.

It's never stopped. Where do you get "begins again"? I can tell you when it will stop. It will stop when we've put LB's on the field that contribute to our team what the LB's at MSU, UGA, UAT, Mizzou and so forth contribute to their teams. And do it in the important games, not just against the Samfords of the world. When a DB is not the teams' leading tackler for the season is another sign of when it will stop. When an opponent's best chance to pick up six yards is not to run right at our LB's could be another key indication of impending stoppage.

It begins again is in reference to you analytical skills and not the defense. You display a clear bias in your assessments and analyses. You clearly have set a moving target for success hidden by your vague claim of what other LB's around the SEC do without taking into account the other proficiencies and deficiencies of the entire defensive system. Now you are headed down the path of calling another group of Lb's overrated because they don't fit your moving target. Tre Williams and Deshaun Davis were your saviors last year but now Tre is overrated by the other services because he didn't crack the line up by your set date. I hate to see what you will say if they don't start over Frost and Cass next year.

Mikey what do you do for a living? On day one of that job were you the best at your job? I would bet you were not. You may have had a knowledge to get you "recruited" but you had to learn the way that business works and develop within the ranks of that business. Our defense as a whole as been sub par and I agree with that. Our linebackers this year have been a brighter spot. Two teams ran the ball well on our defense which was UGA and UA. Everyone else had some success against us passing.

Net Rushing Yds per game:

Ark 153 yds

K-State 40 yds

LSU 138 yds

MSU 223 yds

SC 119 yds

Miss 146 yds

A&M 176 yds

UGA 289 yds

UA 227 yds

That ranked 46th out of 125 D1 teams. Up from 97th the year before. That probably would have been better if we could pressure the QB without blitzing said linebackers but that's one of those convenient things you don't mention.

Since our LB's are so bad what are their gap assignments, keys and responsibilities on the Inside zone, the counter, the wham, the power, the toss sweep etc. How did they fail in their assignments on each? Why were the Lbs consistently graded out higher by professional scouts and not by "MISS" (Mikey's Imaginary Scouting Service). The point is, your evaluation effort is horrid and lazy at best. The defense needs to improve but the linebackers have shown significant improvement year over year and you fail to even give them the slightest credit and it is really pathetic.

It begins again is in reference to you analytical skills and not the defense. You display a clear bias in your assessments and analyses. You clearly have set a moving target for success hidden by your vague claim of what other LB's around the SEC do without taking into account the other proficiencies and deficiencies of the entire defensive system. Now you are headed down the path of calling another group of Lb's overrated because they don't fit your moving target. Tre Williams and Deshaun Davis were your saviors last year but now Tre is overrated by the other services because he didn't crack the line up by your set date. I hate to see what you will say if they don't start over Frost and Cass next year.

Mikey what do you do for a living? On day one of that job were you the best at your job? I would bet you were not. You may have had a knowledge to get you "recruited" but you had to learn the way that business works and develop within the ranks of that business. Our defense as a whole as been sub par and I agree with that. Our linebackers this year have been a brighter spot. Two teams ran the ball well on our defense which was UGA and UA. Everyone else had some success against us passing.

Net Rushing Yds per game:

Ark 153 yds

K-State 40 yds

LSU 138 yds

MSU 223 yds

SC 119 yds

Miss 146 yds

A&M 176 yds

UGA 289 yds

UA 227 yds

That ranked 46th out of 125 D1 teams. Up from 97th the year before. That probably would have been better if we could pressure the QB without blitzing said linebackers but that's one of those convenient things you don't mention.

Since our LB's are so bad what are their gap assignments, keys and responsibilities on the Inside zone, the counter, the wham, the power, the toss sweep etc. How did they fail in their assignments on each? Why were the Lbs consistently graded out higher by professional scouts and not by "MISS" (Mikey's Imaginary Scouting Service). The point is, your evaluation effort is horrid and lazy at best. The defense needs to improve but the linebackers have shown significant improvement year over year and you fail to even give them the slightest credit and it is really pathetic.

Much, much better than I could have said it.

Evans played in 12 of 13 games, and he had a number of defensive snaps every game I saw in the second half of the season. Not sure why anyone thinks he played in half the games. We have access to participation charts for the season and each individual game. Season stats

He would've played for us this year. He probably would've been used as a DE because he is already bigger and more physical than Brandon King. If nothing else, we would've used him as a situational rusher.

I had the records too and just note that he had 11 tackles in 13 games and in five games had no stats...primarily on kick-off team....was just making the point that it's not easy for a HS player (even a 5*) to jump into SEC play no matter where he goes to college. Tre is probably as good as Evans...JMO...and could not crack our line-up. Some folks have unrealistic expectation for these young players....like those expecting Roc to start this season over CAP.

But I notice that bama got another LB commit today (Adonis Thomas?) so that's one more ahead of D. Williams and perhaps he will soon recognize that he is just a possible gray shirt or invited walk-on with bama. I guess if he does end up at AU he might feel that he has something to prove like a few other guys that played for AU because bama did not make an offer.

That said...I'm still not clear that he has a real offer from AU.

It begins again is in reference to you analytical skills and not the defense.

"It begins again" couldn't have been in reference to my or anyone's skills, that would be an absurd remark. It was in reference to my comments about our sub-par linebacking, which I have never stopped making. Were they a little better this year than last? Yes. Did that bring them up to "average" or "acceptable"? Not-even-close. Are four juniors likely to suddenly start playing lights out in their senior years next season? We'll see. Also keep an eye out for flying pigs. Have we been recruiting the numbers and talent needed to replace four warm bodies that will be leaving after next season? Again, not-even-close.

Tre Williams still has a chance to be what we need. A new coach there should help. In any case we'll know something about him and D. Davis by the end of spring practice. Where are those posters that called me crazy when I said after spring practice last year that Toney wasn't going to help at LB? Gone to watch former AU linebackers Landrum and Gaston play at Jax State?

It begins again is in reference to you analytical skills and not the defense.

"It begins again" couldn't have been in reference to my or anyone's skills, that would be an absurd remark. It was in reference to my comments about our sub-par linebacking, which I have never stopped making. Were they a little better this year than last? Yes. Did that bring them up to "average" or "acceptable"? Not-even-close. Are four juniors likely to suddenly start playing lights out in their senior years next season? We'll see. Also keep an eye out for flying pigs. Have we been recruiting the numbers and talent needed to replace four warm bodies that will be leaving after next season? Again, not-even-close.

Tre Williams still has a chance to be what we need. A new coach there should help. In any case we'll know something about him and D. Davis by the end of spring practice. Where are those posters that called me crazy when I said after spring practice last year that Toney wasn't going to help at LB? Gone to watch former AU linebackers Landrum and Gaston play at Jax State?

No.. "It begins again" is a clear reference to exactly what I stated in my previous statement. It is a mental marker to all of us of you firing the first shot at another AU linebacker. It is a notation to your brutal assault on Kris Frost and a pointing out of how this marks the beginning of the same for Tre Williams. But you seem to know more about my thoughts than I.

I wonder if we could continue this in the "All Things Linebacker" thread that was created specifically for this endless debate.....

The reason why this debate doesn't end is because others feel that need to continually drag our linebackers through the dirt on any thread that has to deal with a linebacker and frankly it pisses me off and I'm sick of it.

I understand. Just seems like every thread ends up there. I troll for some info and end up seeing the rehash of our terrible linebacker situation.....

Archived