2015 4* LB Darrell Williams commits to AU!

EagleDamnWar

I normally like to keep the threads about individuals on point and not stray into discussions about positions. From the beginning I believed D. Williams was a huge get for our program. Now as I read about the upcoming Ala/Miss All Star Game, I'm even more impressed/pleased to have him along with McBryde.

For those preaching doom and gloom about our LB's, I would remind you we not only have McKinzey and Frost coming back with a lots of starts, we also have T. Williams, Davis, and Toney waiting in the wings plus Mitchell who is developing well. No, our LB program is not where we would like it to be, but it's in better shape than some would admit. The addition of another quality player this year would be icing on the cake.

Toney was moved from LB to H-Back in mid-season, apparently because LB simply wasn't his college position. Davis has not played a snap of football in two years due to injury and how that turns out is anybody's guess. If Mitchell is developing well, why did he play less this year than last? Next year we will have four seniors, Swain, McKinzy, Frost and Garrett, not a one of whom has ever been named to an all-SEC team. Never mind their level of accomplishment, who will provide even warm body replacements in 2016?

There is reason for optimism with Tre Williams and if we can add one more LB to this years' class of signees. That's optimism for the long term . Short term, we have a problem.

Correct on all accounts....

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mikey, I'll bet a dollar to a dime that Frost is pre-season All-SEC at OLB. The play he and McKinzy put on the field for the vast majority of this season was better than we seen since at least 2010 and, frankly, before that.

Signing Williams, McBryde with Sullivan and Atkinson and saaaay Holland would be another step toward building a LB corp with quality and depth, but it wouldn't be the first. I'd say the first was signing Tre Williams and Deshaun Davis. The second was the leap Frost and McKinzy made on the field this year. This would be step three. Those guys provide top-level talent. They just need to develop consistency, but with those two, we're in a better spot than we have been for at least five years. Now we need the quality guys behind them to step forward. Swain, Garrett, and Williams have all shown glimpses (Tre looked lost but he also looked like a great athlete). Freshmen can contribute at that position if they have a defined skill set and limited demands. We're on the path. Keeping guys like Darrell Williams is part of that.

And when is this kid expected to flip to west vance? JK...

the current players will excel in a new system, the talent is there, the system was a failure. every team figured out how to move our linebackers out of position by simple movement and spreading things out, we all saw it week in and week out, the middle of the field was always wide open by motion and killed us.

Mikey, I'll bet a dollar to a dime that Frost is pre-season All-SEC at OLB.

It was either you or some like-minded soul that wanted to make that same bet back in August, pertaining to this year's post-season. I should have wagered, I'd be a dollar richer.

Another piece on him ...."keeping an open mind about bama....and Ole Miss and Okla in the picture. Every time I read an interview it appears that AU is his fallback option if something does not work out at another school. This is the most curious "commitment" that I have ever seen.

I've been trying to find words that are even less definite than the term "soft verbal" but nothing comes to mind.

Another piece on him ...."keeping an open mind about bama....and Ole Miss and Okla in the picture. Every time I read an interview it appears that AU is his fallback option if something does not work out at another school. This is the most curious "commitment" that I have ever seen.

I've been trying to find words that are even less definite than the term "soft verbal" but nothing comes to mind.

maybe it should say "playing games"

If I remember correctly there were a lot of rumors last cycle that Roc Thomas' dream offer was Bama, but they were more interested in Fournette until it was too late. I don't see too many people now all that upset we ended up with Roc.

Especially at a position of need, I'm more than happy to stick with DW

I think bammer may have given up on Williams and went after that Adonis Thomas kid instead.

If anything, they think more of the Thomas kid. Judging from many remarks and comments, if UAT were to give Williams a committable offer he'd flip to them without hesitation.

We need good linebackers so badly that we will probably dance to any tune this guy plays....wish it weren't so...but I expect we will wait around until LOI day and keep something open for him. ...and maybe it will be worth it...will know in about 3 years.

Most of us think he would like flip on NSD with a committable offer but I wonder if he would do same with a grayshirt offer. I hope not.

Most of us think he would like flip on NSD with a committable offer but I wonder if he would do same with a grayshirt offer. I hope not.

A greyshirt is nothing but the statement "We'll give you a scholarship later if we feel like it." Kids whose family can't afford to pay their own way seldom accept greyshirt offers unless no other school will sign them.

A kid with the ability to play at most power five schools accepting a greyshirt at a school that already over signs at his position just because he buys into their hype would be one stupidest decisions imaginable. it'd be like a guy telling NFL teams not to draft him because he though he had the chance to make a certain team as an undrafted free agent from the practice squad

A kid with the ability to play at most power five schools accepting a greyshirt at a school that already over signs at his position just because he buys into their hype would be one stupidest decisions imaginable. it'd be like a guy telling NFL teams not to draft him because he though he had the chance to make a certain team as an undrafted free agent from the practice squad

Who was the kid from Mobile left at the altar on signing day when bama did not take him....was crying as made his "announcement"....then went to Arky and started as a freshman. It happens and some kids make the best of it.

Who was the kid from Mobile left at the altar on signing day when bama did not take him....was crying as made his "announcement"....then went to Arky and started as a freshman. It happens and some kids make the best of it.

Darius Philon I think

Oh, barring injury, he'll definitely play in the NFL. Philon's a stud. He'll be the best player on that defense next year.

If I remember correctly there were a lot of rumors last cycle that Roc Thomas' dream offer was Bama, but they were more interested in Fournette until it was too late. I don't see too many people now all that upset we ended up with Roc.

Especially at a position of need, I'm more than happy to stick with DW

The difference between roc and Williams is roc shut bama off for good months after he committed to AU. Williams is still waiting at the alter to jump at a moments notice. Not even close, this kid is so starry eyed for Saban and bama that it's borderline ridiculous

Archived