The Firearms Thread!

WarAJEagle

Now I'm thinking about getting a " Judge" 45/410 five shot revolver. Found one for 399$ used. Might go shoot one this weekend.

You can get shotshells for most pistol sizes. We live way in the country and snakes are not infrequent visitors. The best thing for them that I've found is a .22 cal target pistol, six inch barrel. Kills 'em dead, though that may not solve your protection question on fishing trips. A friend carries his Colt .45 loaded with shotshell when fishing. That being said, that Judge item may be what you need, though I've never fired one.

My 22j jams when I shoot the crimped brass shot shells, I couldn't find the ones with the clear plastic caps that hold the shot , it is a heavy carry 6" barrel single action.

My 22j jams when I shoot the crimped brass shot shells, I couldn't find the ones with the clear plastic caps that hold the shot , it is a heavy carry 6" barrel single action.

Right, the crimped cap brass shells jam every time. I had a small box of them and threw them away a few years ago. Recently, I have found the CCI plastic shells at both Dick's Sporting Goods and Adventure Sports stores. Try those places if they are near your location.

Right, the crimped cap brass shells jam every time. I had a small box of them and threw them away a few years ago. Recently, I have found the CCI plastic shells at both Dick's Sporting Goods and Adventure Sports stores. Try those places if they are near your location.

Mikey, I'm assuming only revolvers can fire the cci shot shells. Would they work and or are they available for 9mm.

Mikey, I'm assuming only revolvers can fire the cci shot shells. Would they work and or are they available for 9mm.

I've never owned a 9mm and don't know. I have a friend that uses them in a .38 revolver so they are available in that caliber. Another guy I know uses shotshells in a .45 cal 1911 so they must be available in 9mm somewhere and some style of them must work in a semi-auto pistol.

• 4 weeks later...

I bought a S&W SD9 VE 9mm this morning. Went out and fired it too. The only thing i dont like about it is it has no safety. The trigger is hard to pull so I'm not too worried about accidental fire but I won't buy another one without a safety. 299$ for a new S&W with 2 16rd mags is a good deal. Also got a holster free.

Mikey, i got a box of shotshells too. Pricey at 13.99$ for 10rds and i have also learned they will not even eject when fired one at a time but it will still serve one snake.

I carry a S&W M&P .40 Shield, but I'm actually looking to replace it with an XDs .45. I just like the feel of Springfield weapons better and after shooting an XDs I think I prefer it to my Shield. Maybe I'll keep both.

I also have an XDm 9mm, Saiga 12, AR15, and an Arisaka Type 99.

Saiga 12 has been converted by Mach 1 Arsenal with Tapco firing control group, Hogue monogrip pistol grip, Tapco folding stock, Tapco tri-rail, Tapco vertical grip, SGM 10 round mags, and a MD Arms 20 round drum.

AR15 is an LRB mil spec upper and lower, hand polished trigger unit, Les Baer bolt and bolt carrier, Yankee Hill carbine length free float forearm, Yankee Hill 16" M4 chrome lined barrel 1x7 twist, Bravo Company charging handle, Rock River adjustable receiver extension, Rock River 5 position stock, red dot sight.

I love my XDs (9mm), the .45 standard only carries 5 in the mag though. I carry it with the standard 7 capacity with a pierce grip. Still breaking it in from the recall though, taking some time. Is your shield snappy in a .40?

Super late reply...sorry. The Shield is definitely a bit snappy and it just doesn't feel as natural to me as a Springfield. I'm not very accurate beyond 10 yards with it as I tend to pull low and to the left, so I still need some more practice. I've only shot an XDs .45 once but the recoil felt the same or less than my Shield. I'd love to shoot one again and if it feels better again I'll be buying one shortly and likely putting my S&W up for sale. The downside is that I'll lose some capacity. My Shield is 6+1 or 7+1 depending on which mag I use. I'm not a big guy so I usually carry with the shorter mag. I'd lose 1 round based on the fact that I carry the Shield with the shorter mag, but I think I can live with it.

If you're around Atlanta you're more than welcome to shoot my Shield.

Time to share:

Just got this new kydex holster for my EDC.

26433d1392685590-incog-holster-springfield-xds.jpg

I also use a Cook's holster for IWB carry, although I have the carbon fiber pattern. Cool guy, local, and good product.

• 4 weeks later...

Well.... Hate to say I was having problems with my Springfield XDs. Failure to Feeds, Failure to Fires, and Springfield said 2 month + turnaround if sent it. Put it up on Armslist and let it go.

Bought a SW Shield in 9mm to replace it.

Well.... Hate to say I was having problems with my Springfield XDs. Failure to Feeds, Failure to Fires, and Springfield said 2 month + turnaround if sent it. Put it up on Armslist and let it go.

Sorry to hear that. I actually just bought an XDs .45 today to eventually replace my Shield .40. The XDs feels a lot better in my hands and even with the larger caliber it feels smoother to me and I can shoot it more accurately. It's all personal preference though.

My Shield has been acting up a bit and not always returning to battery in the middle of a magazine. Sometimes after a couple shots I will pull the trigger again and nothing, i'll have to slap the back of the slide to return is to firing position. I've cleaned and lubed it a couple times and it hasn't helped. I think I'm going to hang onto it for now, but will likely eventually sell it.

Do you still have the Kydex holster from your XDs? If so, I'd be willing to trade you my Shield one for yours.

My nephew had a S&W Airlite? that he hated to shoot. He traded it and some cash for an XDs in .45 cal and he loves everything about his Springfield. I think guns can be like cars, even among the same model some are great and some are lemons.

Sorry to hear that. I actually just bought an XDs .45 today to eventually replace my Shield .40. The XDs feels a lot better in my hands and even with the larger caliber it feels smoother to me and I can shoot it more accurately. It's all personal preference though.

My Shield has been acting up a bit and not always returning to battery in the middle of a magazine. Sometimes after a couple shots I will pull the trigger again and nothing, i'll have to slap the back of the slide to return is to firing position. I've cleaned and lubed it a couple times and it hasn't helped. I think I'm going to hang onto it for now, but will likely eventually sell it.

Do you still have the Kydex holster from your XDs? If so, I'd be willing to trade you my Shield one for yours.

Dang, I wish I did. I let it go in the sale on armslist. Sorry about that!

Archived