Future Schedules

auburn4ever

I still want to play UCLA - since we were supposed to and didn't, Nebraska, Florida State in the regular season, also Ohio State, want to embarrass the crap out of them, maybe even U of Texas.

we were never "supposed" to play UCLA. We were asked too and politely told them our schedule for that year was already set and that we would be happy to play them the following year

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always said I would be a fan of playing some crappy schools from BCS conferences. To me, I would be much more impressed by a schedule with Purdue, Kansas, Wake Forest, and Syracuse than the typical SEC formula of 1 "real" non-conference game + 2 Louisiana schools + 1 FCS opponent. The outcome would be the same but much more credit would be granted.

Agree with this sentiment. Would be more interesting and results would be the same. Maybe 3 touchdown wins as opposed to 5, but the entire 4th quarter would be garbage time probably. The problem is that you schedule these games far out and then one year we are down and a couple of these schools are up... might be the difference between 5-7 and 7-5.

I personally would like to avoid teams in the south east. It gets boring after a while. Wasn't Auburn's game at West Virginia the first time the Auburn football team had ever gone north of the Mason-Dixon line?

Not the first time, just hasn't occurred very often.

We played @Syracuse in 2001. And prior to that, we played in New Jersey against the U in a kickoff classic in the 1980s.

...and nearly 50 years prior to that, a few trips to BC as well.

Auburn has played in Cuba

ESPN tried to schedule Auburn and UCLA to open the 2010 season in the Georgia Dome. However, Jay Jacobs said no thanks and backed out of that deal. I've always felt that Jay and Gene Chizik was scared to to open with a big name team. So insteed of us playing UCLA, we pay Arkansas State $1 million to come to open 2010 season on the Plains. It would not have cost us anything to open against UCLA since ESPN was tring to put it together so they could carry the game.

I could careless if never played ND or Mich. However, I'd love to see us play Georgia Tech and Florida State again.

I personally would like to avoid teams in the south east. It gets boring after a while. Wasn't Auburn's game at West Virginia the first time the Auburn football team had ever gone north of the Mason-Dixon line?

We played @Syracuse in 2001. And prior to that, we played in New Jersey against the U in a kickoff classic in the 1980s.

Just ask Golf. He was there.

Pointing out games above the Mason-Dixon line got me interested to see how many exactly we have played. Turns out the Syracuse game was the last time we have played above the actual M-D line (see below) and only the second time since WWII. Interestingly in the years preceding WWII during the height of the Great Depression, Auburn played 10 games in the northeast over the span of 12 seasons. Make you wonder how we afforded the travel expenses during these times. Here is a list of our all time games played above the M-D line:

1922 - West Point, NY (Army)

1923 - West Point, NY (Army)

1931 - Madison, WI (University of Wisconsin)

1933 - Detroit, MI (Detroit U)

1936 - Washington D.C. (George Washington)

1937 - Philadelphia, PA (Villanova U)

1938 - Philadelphia, PA (Villanova U)

1939 - Manhattan, NY (Manhattan U)

1939 - Boston, MA (Boston College)

1940 - Boston, MA (Boston College)

1941 - Philadelphia, PA (Villanova U)

1942 - Washington D.C. (Georgetown)

1984 - East Rutherford, NJ (University of Miami)

2001 - Syracuse, NY (Syracuse University)

I did not include the WVU game because technically WV is below the original M-D line and the one that is marked today for historical purposes. One could argue that WV left Virginia to join the Union but that is a discussion for a different forum. ^-^

250px-Mason-dixon-line.gifmasondixonline.jpg

Subscribing to my own theory that if you want a nationwide reputation, beat teams with long-standing nationwide fanbases:

Notre Dame

Ohio State

USC

Michigan

Building respect among outsiders might help AU when the championship committee finds itself considering a one-loss Bama over a one-loss Auburn.

Subscribing to my own theory that if you want a nationwide reputation, beat teams with long-standing nationwide fanbases:

Notre Dame

Ohio State

USC

Michigan

Building respect among outsiders might help AU when the championship committee finds itself considering a one-loss Bama over a one-loss Auburn.

They will never give us the edge over Bammer with the losses even unless we beat them head to head, especially since it is the last regular season game.

Notre Dame

Ohio State

USC

Michigan

They will never give us the edge over Bammer with the losses even unless we beat them head to head, especially since it is the last regular season game.

An undefeated or 1-loss SEC champ will be all but guaranteed a playoff spot. If it comes down to making it into the #4 spot with 1 loss as the second SEC team, IMO it will take a decade or more of consistent winning to get the national rep to get the nod. Of course, it all depends on what other contenders have done that year, but I wouldn't be surprised if we get snubbed a time or two. I just hope we're in a position to be in the conversation frequently.

And as others have suggested, rotate at least one in-state D-1 school.

Absolutely endorse this.

LOLLL Thats funny, I thought I saw the stat during the game back then and just referenced that completely incorrectly. IDK what I was thinking. Looks like my geography skills are SHARP

I'd like a home and home series with these teams: UCLA, North Carolina, Nebraska, Ohio State, Texas, Iowa, and Oklahoma.

I wouldn't mind us finding more teams like Washington State wherein we do not have to grant them a return trip. 8 home games a year is a nice luxury.

Less washington state's and more home and homes with teams with prestige. I'd like Auburn to play in some venues where we have never played.

Well you guys that said Ga Tech are in luck. We play them in like 2017 or 2018.

You have got be kidding me. Christ almighty...please lord don't let this be true

was there damn was it humid

I could careless if never played ND or Mich. However, I'd love to see us play Georgia Tec and Florida State again.

No and hell no..........why play those a holes??? Good frickin god almighty. What is the love to Tec??????????????? Bunch of pricks

:shoot: :shoot: :shoot::OnTheCan::gt::shoot: :shoot: :shoot:

I'd like to play Tech just so we could bring the Pajama Parade and old traditions back. Way back when!

ESPN tried to schedule Auburn and UCLA to open the 2010 season in the Georgia Dome. However, Jay Jacobs said no thanks and backed out of that deal. I've always felt that Jay and Gene Chizik was scared to to open with a big name team. So insteed of us playing UCLA, we pay Arkansas State $1 million to come to open 2010 season on the Plains. It would not have cost us anything to open against UCLA since ESPN was tring to put it together so they could carry the game.

The UCLA game in the dome was originally slated for 2012. Clemmer was already on the schedule for 2010, thereby fulfilling the unwritten 'one-annual-nonconference-BCS-team-per-season' quota.

Archived