Future Schedules

auburn4ever

ESPN tried to schedule Auburn and UCLA to open the 2010 season in the Georgia Dome. However, Jay Jacobs said no thanks and backed out of that deal. I've always felt that Jay and Gene Chizik was scared to to open with a big name team. So insteed of us playing UCLA, we pay Arkansas State $1 million to come to open 2010 season on the Plains. It would not have cost us anything to open against UCLA since ESPN was tring to put it together so they could carry the game.

Do you ever pay attention to anything? Wait, look who I'm asking. Jacobs never backed out of any deal to play anybody. He was asked about a neutral site game against UCLA in a season that our schedule was already set. He POLITELY told them our schedule for that year was set but we would be happy to play them the following year. If you think this has anything to do with Jay (and Gene Chizik) being scared to play someone, well, your just an idiot. Since 2006 we've played non-conference games vs. Washington State, Georgia Tech, Kansas State (season opener), West Virginia (home and home, let me help you, that's TWO games), Clemson (also home and home, plus a matchup in Atlanta to open the season, that's three more games), and we return the home date to play AT Kansas State in 2014. We are also scheduled to play in the season opener in Atlanta in 2015 vs. Louisville. You continue to yammer on and on about crap here that you know nothing about. Please go educate yourself about things before you come here and post false information.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Then why didn't Jacobs push harder for Auburn/UCLA matchup to open the 2010 in the Georgia Dome. He didn't won't his new head coach to lose the first game of the year.

Then why didn't Jacobs push harder for Auburn/UCLA matchup to open the 2010 in the Georgia Dome.

still not actually reading the thread before commenting.

He didn't won't his new head coach to lose the first game of the year.

First of all the word you are looking for is WANT. 2nd, we didn't have a new head coach in 2010. Chizik was starting his 2nd season. How interesting you automatically assume Auburn would lose the game too. Amazing how much total FAIL you can pack into one post...

^^ As pointed out, we were hosting Clemson that year already. We were all optimistic going into 2010 but not so optimistic as to whether we could handle two quality OOC games. Also, didn't UCLA want us to play there in 2011? We already had to play at Clemson in 2011, which would've made an already terrible schedule even worse. Considering we haven't won in a non-conference opponent's stadium since 1997 (though that's about to change this September ;)), JJ's tentativeness was actually understandable.

I personally would like to avoid teams in the south east. It gets boring after a while. Wasn't Auburn's game at West Virginia the first time the Auburn football team had ever gone north of the Mason-Dixon line?

Not the first time, just hasn't occurred very often.

We played @Syracuse in 2001. And prior to that, we played in New Jersey against the U in a kickoff classic in the 1980s.

Actually, WVU is south of the mason Dixon line. It is the southern border of Pennsylvania, just north of Morgantown. So only the Syracuse and NJ games would qualify.

I hope SEC goes to 9 conf games. I am tired of having to play GA every year while bama gets Tenn. Miss St gets Kent. Don't get me wrong I love the Rivalry of the game AU vs GA but not when Bama keeps getting the bottom dwellers of the East Division. GA will hardly ever be at the bottom of East, I don't see Tenn every staying very competitive. They may have a good year or two but drop back down. So I hope that it changes.

I hope SEC goes to 9 conf games. I am tired of having to play GA every year while bama gets Tenn. Miss St gets Kent. Don't get me wrong I love the Rivalry of the game AU vs GA but not when Bama keeps getting the bottom dwellers of the East Division. GA will hardly ever be at the bottom of East, I don't see Tenn every staying very competitive. They may have a good year or two but drop back down. So I hope that it changes.

In the SEC West and East every team plays the 6 teams from their division, a permanent East/West team, and an alternating East/West team. Your comment didn't make much sense.

In the SEC West and East every team plays the 6 teams from their division, a permanent East/West team, and an alternating East/West team. Your comment didn't make much sense.

I think A4L is alluding to the infrequency of regular season matchups between Alabama and Georgia, which makes plenty of sense if a 9th SEC game is added. This move adds a 3rd cross-divisional opponent to everyone's schedule; thereby assuring they will never dodge UGA for a typical 6-7 year stretch in regular season play, as they so often do.

On a similar note, it was always a sham how bammer managed to skirt UF on the schedule back in the 80s when their program was gaining a little steam, while Auburn faced the Gators annually in addition to UGA.

In contrast, bammer got their annual bye week with Debbie cake Vandy.

I think A4L is alluding to the infrequency of regular season matchups between Alabama and Georgia, which makes plenty of sense if a 9th SEC game is added. This move adds a 3rd cross-divisional opponent to everyone's schedule; thereby assuring they will never dodge UGA for a typical 6-7 year stretch in regular season play, as they so often do.

On a similar note, it was always a sham how bammer managed to skirt UF on the schedule back in the 80s when their program was gaining a little steam, while Auburn faced the Gators annually in addition to UGA.

I hate uat as much as anybody, but a quick look at the facts show that doesn't happen. The last time it was more than 5 years between uat and uga playing each other was 1977-1984. Since then, they have played each other in 1984, 1985, 1990, 1991, 1994, 1995, 2002, 2003, 2007, 2008, and 2012 (SEC Title game) so 2014 would be 6 years since their last regular season matchup, but its still not something they "often do". The only reason its happened this time is because of conference expansion.

I just don't get this adherence to the 6-1-1 format solely to keep the AL/UT and AU/GA games every year. I agree with LSU that we should keep the cross division match ups but both should be rotated. There will be plenty of opportunities for those historic match ups within the rotating schedule and the championship game.

We are getting royally screwed next year with having to play both SC and UGA, very likely the best two teams in the East while Bammer gets UT and UF, likely middle of the pack teams at best. I certainly think we would be better off sacrificing a few games against UGA to lessen the odds of our getting screwed like we are this year. If we win both those games and beat Bammer we will likely be in a rematch for the championship like 2010.

Why is it that Bammer always gets the easy road when we get stuck with the worst possible scenarios?

I hate uat as much as anybody, but a quick look at the facts show that doesn't happen. The last time it was more than 5 years between uat and uga playing each other was 1977-1984. Since then, they have played each other in 1984, 1985, 1990, 1991, 1994, 1995, 2002, 2003, 2007, 2008, and 2012 (SEC Title game) so 2014 would be 6 years since their last regular season matchup, but its still not something they "often do". The only reason its happened this time is because of conference expansion.

There is an interesting post on SB Nation's Bama blog comparing SOS of 4 SEC teams (in response to LSU fans' complaints that Bama always gets the easier schedule). Of course, the poster leaves out Auburn -- the 4 teams are Bama, LSU, Florida, and UGA. But here is his conclusion:

Only a true gump could deny Alabama has had the easier path of the four but UGA does comes in as a close 2nd.

Bama's SOS, both in conference and out, has been easier than ours and LSU's for several years. Les Miles has been vocal about having a more balanced SEC schedule -- and it's not because he comes from Michigan and doesn't understand old school SEC rivalries. It's because he's tired of Bama waltzing through an easier schedule every year. Frankly, so am I. The only good thing about it is that they have been highly ranked when we play them -- which helps out SOS. But if you gave LSU or Auburn Bama's SOS every year, and gave Bama LSU's or ours, you'd start seeing a shift in wins.

1995-2002 doesn't qualify as > 5 years?

Technical footnotes aside, the overall point I was making was how infrequently they've been scheduled against UGA. Historically bamzo's been spoon fed Vandy. It should be a football crime as to how many times Vandy has dotted bama's schedule relative to contests pitting them against UGA.

Just a side note to think about when doing comparisons of SOS. In a few of the more recent years, UAT had a significantly easier schedule because they did not have to play THEMSELVES. Instead they played us. We did not have an easy team to play (us) because we can't play ourselves, instead we played them. That made our schedule tougher by a lot.

1995-2002 doesn't qualify as > 5 years?

Technical footnotes aside, the overall point I was making was how infrequently they've been scheduled against UGA. Historically bamzo's been spoon fed Vandy. It should be a football crime as to how many times Vandy has dotted bama's schedule relative to contests pitting them against UGA.

OK. You got me. I missed one. But seeing as how I went back to the early 80's it still doesn't make your post any more accurate. So, its TWICE now since 1984 that they didn't play Georgia within 5 years but my original point is still accurate. It's still NOT something they "often do" (referring to a 6-7 year stretch between matchups.) TWICE in 30 years doesn't equate to "often".

Just a side note to think about when doing comparisons of SOS. In a few of the more recent years, UAT had a significantly easier schedule because they did not have to play THEMSELVES. Instead they played us. We did not have an easy team to play (us) because we can't play ourselves, instead we played them. That made our schedule tougher by a lot.

We weren't exactly an easy team to play (2012 excepted). Auburn, Bama, and LSU always play each other (since the divisional split). We always play UGA, they always play UTk, and LSU always plays UF (that's one difference, since UTk has been way down compared to the other two). The other difference is the rotating teams they have played from the SEC East -- easier ones than either LSU or Auburn.

We weren't exactly an easy team to play (2012 excepted). Auburn, Bama, and LSU always play each other (since the divisional split). We always play UGA, they always play UTk, and LSU always plays UF (that's one difference, since UTk has been way down compared to the other two). The other difference is the rotating teams they have played from the SEC East -- easier ones than either LSU or Auburn.

Good lord britt almost makes a point with some logic... Who would have thunk.................

Good lord britt almost makes a point with some logic... Who would have thunk.................

Certainly not I!

Certainly not I!

:gofig:

Certainly not I!

:poke: :poke:

Certainly not I!

:poke: :poke:

:gt:

:big:

Seriously, though, I think that the playoff selection committee could have a HUGE impact on future schedules. If the REALLY weight SOS the most, that will improve everyone's schedules. We'll see more great games. I'm actually all for it.

Auburn will continue to schedule strong non-conference teams with the new playoff system being incorporated. For recruiting purses additional Florida,Texas, and perhaps California teams. As for Alabama "getting a pass" with weaker SEC schools(KY), why not assign South Carolina as their annual rival? Coach Spurrier has given Coach Sabin a difficult time!

Archived