Starting RB for the 2014 season will be?

ClaytonAU

Red shirting Roc will only mean he plays for two years most likely. IMO Grant is going to have his work cut out for him. I hope he proves me wrong. But if CAP isn't the guy, it's Barber. If he isn't THE guy and we sign Jovon, we may see PB transfer. He is too good.

Sigh. So many assumptions about guys who we've never seen play college ball.

Edit: Meant to reiterate yet again that Corey Grant is the same size as the top RB in the draft, except he's faster and stronger.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Red shirting Roc will only mean he plays for two years most likely. IMO Grant is going to have his work cut out for him. I hope he proves me wrong. But if CAP isn't the guy, it's Barber. If he isn't THE guy and we sign Jovon, we may see PB transfer. He is too good.

If we sign Jovon, he'll be playing alongside Barber, because CAP and Grant will be gone. Malzahn has already shown that there are enough carries to go around in this offense...after all, we had an 1,800 yard back and a pair of 600 yard backs last season, plus a QB who ran for another 1,000...

Grant held his own the few chances he got between the tackles last season. He may need be able to do it 20+ carries a game, but he won't have to. He'll see more inside runs this season and that'll be good, because the defense will have to account for him inside and outside.

It is great to have these backs and feel completely comfortable that they can ALL do a terrific job. Grant, Barber, Roc, Cap.....with more to follow.

Roc is listed at 5'11 196 on 247, 5'11 204 on Scout, 5'11 198 on Rivals, and 5'11 202 on ESPN. Using the average of that, one gets that he is 5'11 200. Tre was listed at 5'10 205 last year. So yes Roc is probably big enough to play day 1.

Roc is listed at 5'11 196 on 247, 5'11 204 on Scout, 5'11 198 on Rivals, and 5'11 202 on ESPN. Using the average of that, one gets that he is 5'11 200. Tre was listed at 5'10 205 last year. So yes Roc is probably big enough to play day 1.

Tre is very thick muscled, measuring out at 5'8" 207 at the NFL combine. Roc at 3" taller is not as thick muscled yet but it wouldn't surprise me to see Russell add 5 to 10 pounds of solid muscle on Roc's frame pretty fast. So at 205-210, yes he is big enough to play as a Freshman.

If his muscles eventually get as thick as Tre's, at 5'11" Roc would be playing at or around 220-225 like Barber. I have a pic somewhere in my archives of Tre when he was a Freshman and the transformation in muscle thickness from then to his Junior season was fairly striking. Russell does a great job with these guys.

You can almost become giddy thinking about the possibilities the next 2 years with the RBs on the roster and the top targets we are going after.

2013:

C. Artis-Payne

C. Grant

P. Barber

K. Pettway

R. Thomas- 5*

2014:

P. Barber

K. Pettway

R. Thomas- 5*

J. Robinson- 5*

K. Johnson- 5*

my goodness

I keep going back to Tre commenting that he and CAP agreed that Barber has better skills than any of them. I'm pretty sure we'll see a committee in the first few games, with Barber emerging as the bell cow by game 4 or 5.

Tre is very thick muscled, measuring out at 5'8" 207 at the NFL combine. Roc at 3" taller is not as thick muscled yet but it wouldn't surprise me to see Russell add 5 to 10 pounds of solid muscle on Roc's frame pretty fast. So at 205-210, yes he is big enough to play as a Freshman.

If his muscles eventually get as thick as Tre's, at 5'11" Roc would be playing at or around 220-225 like Barber. I have a pic somewhere in my archives of Tre when he was a Freshman and the transformation in muscle thickness from then to his Junior season was fairly striking. Russell does a great job with these guys.

this means Roc is 5'9" 190 soaking wet.

LOL, yikes.

Roc's highlights speak for themselves. He'll get reps. I think it'll be hard to tell a 5 star athlete he needs to sit out a year.

That's probably about right, which is why I think he would fit nicely into the speed back role this year, particularly if Grant starts getting more carries between the tackles. I just don't think there's much chance that Roc won't see the field...he's too danged talented.

I apologize for not reading all the post.

We will see CAP and Grant in the backfield together a lot, but Roc will get his reps (he is too good to redshirt, we will need him in November)

What a night mare for defenses to have to defend the three runners in the back field plus the pass. This offense is gonna be sic, we will be able to wait 20 seconds before we snap the ball and the opposing defense will still look silly ;)

We have not seen a third of Gus's offense, we might see half of it this year. Just wait till he has four recruiting classes and we see it all ;)

I apologize for not reading all the post.

We will see CAP and Grant in the backfield together a lot, but Roc will get his reps (he is too good to redshirt, we will need him in November)

What a night mare for defenses to have to defend the three runners in the back field plus the pass. This offense is gonna be sic, we will be able to wait 20 seconds before we snap the ball and the opposing defense will still look silly ;)/>

We have not seen a third of Gus's offense, we might see half of it this year. Just wait till he has four recruiting classes and we see it all ;)/>

I think we'll see something pretty close to "Gus Unleashed" this year.

Call me crazy but I don't see Grant getting many touches outside of the speed back role. I just don't think he has the vision/cutback ability to run consistently between the tackles. Right now I think it's a two horse race between Barber and CAP(regardless of the coach speak) and I expect Roc's role to increase as the season progresses.

All that said, the next day I coach football will be my first.

All that said, the next day I coach football will be my first.

LOL, you and me both. But I venture that my opinions are more important than yours. :poke:/>

Probably so. Chimes is crazy, after all.

Tre is very thick muscled, measuring out at 5'8" 207 at the NFL combine.....

Man. Talking about tackling a "bowling ball" - or maybe it's more like a cannon ball.

You might not even see him until it's too late to prepare.

Man. Talking about tackling a "bowling ball" - or maybe it's more like a cannon ball.

I have always said that in running style and size, Tre reminds me the most of Emmitt Smith who played at 5'9" 210.

Here is an entry in Emmitt Smith's wikepedia page. Who does this sound like they are decribing ?

" As a runner, Smith was consistently effective, though not dazzling in style. Smith darted, slithered and followed his blockers, and squeezed yard after yard out of plays that didn't have any yards in them. He didn't look especially fast or powerful or blindingly deceptive, yet he couldn't be stopped. Smith was noted for being a very durable back with excellent vision, tremendous leg strength, and great balance, and was known as one of the best second-effort runners ever. Smith was also a reliable receiver and an excellent blocker in pass protection. "

I have always said that in running style and size, Tre reminds me the most of Emmitt Smith who played at 5'9" 210.

Here is an entry in Emmitt Smith's wikepedia page. Who does this sound like they are decribing ?

" As a runner, Smith was consistently effective, though not dazzling in style. Smith darted, slithered and followed his blockers, and squeezed yard after yard out of plays that didn't have any yards in them. He didn't look especially fast or powerful or blindingly deceptive, yet he couldn't be stopped. Smith was noted for being a very durable back with excellent vision, tremendous leg strength, and great balance, and was known as one of the best second-effort runners ever. Smith was also a reliable receiver and an excellent blocker in pass protection. "

I didn't realize Emmitt was quite that short, but now you mention it, he did look similar on the field to Tre. I am still pissed he didn't choose AU.

One can make a good case the ideal height for RB is less than 6 ft (w/ muscling and quickness to match). Say 5'10"?

That sounds EXACTLY like Tre. He's going to be a monster in the NFL if he gets a true chance.

Archived