Starting RB for the 2014 season will be?

ClaytonAU

I have to disagree with something I posted earlier, we need to redshirt the supper star we got from Oxford. Grant and Cam will line up in the backfield a lot together, both can take the major role.

What if I told you that Roc is more talented than both of them? Would you change your mind?

Only if you agree that Roc really is a supper star. Breakfast and lunch stars need a RS year, IMO.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to disagree with something I posted earlier, we need to redshirt the supper star we got from Oxford. Grant and Cam will line up in the backfield a lot together, both can take the major role.

What if I told you that Roc is more talented than both of them? Would you change your mind?

Only if you agree that Roc really is a supper star. Breakfast and lunch stars need a RS year, IMO.

;D

Britt! You are so rude. I would never poke fun at someone else's post. For shame... >:(

I was trying to figure out where to go with that but you beat me to it...

Not to mention guys, this is Gus we're talking about; don't be too surprised to see the plethora of runners we have used in special and unique ways.

There's no plethora in football. Geeesh :rolleyes:

Not to mention guys, this is Gus we're talking about; don't be too surprised to see the plethora of runners we have used in special and unique ways.

There's no plethora in football. Geeesh :rolleyes:

It's "No crying in baseball," ya rust bucket! ;)

Britt! You are so rude. I would never poke fun at someone else's post. For shame... >:(

:-[

You're so right, Dixie. I just wish I could live up to the example you set.

:tease:

The more I re-watch some of last years games, the more I am impressed with CAP and Grant. I feel like either one of them could become "the guy". However, between those two, I think that CAP should get the nod, one one condition: he needs to become more consistent.

Some of his moves were absolutely outstanding. One that sticks out was his TD run in the SECCG where he juked a Mizzou defender out of his shoes. If he can run with that kind of agility and get a little better at seeing the holes open up and making sure that he hangs on to the football, I definitely can see him as an every down back.

The big reason why I said he should get the nod over Corey "Taillights" Grant is that I don't want to lose the home run threat that we have in Grant by trying to mold him into an every down back. If he can keep his speed but bulk up enough to run through the tackles week in and week out, that's awesome! Feed him the rock! But I'd rather have him as a super effective burner who can run through the tackles, but mainly is the guy we want to get to the edge and just outrun everyone.

One comparison I see is that CAP could be to Corey what Duke is going to be to Sammie. Sammie is the home run threat, Duke is a possession receiver who will go fight for the ball and do the dirty work.

:-[

You're so right, Dixie. I just wish I could live up to the example you set.

:tease:

Oh Britt, that is setting yourself up for failure.

(Actually, I laughed. I was just mad you beat me to it!)

Was it just me or did anyone else think CAP has some Rudy Johnson type running skills.

I've been a Peyton Barber proponent based on some previous comments and what I know of the guy. But what I saw in CAP yesterday that I loved about Tre last year was the additional yardage after contact. Tre always seem to fall forward and gain another 2 or 3 yards. Last year it seemed like CAP did not have additional push, but it looked like he added the to his arsenal in the A-Day game. I think we will see a lot similar to last year with Tre in the power, Grant in the sweep and CAP in the relief - this year will be CAP in the power, Grant in the sweep and PB in the relief. The twist this year (we know Gus always has a new twist to keep defenses off-balance), is at some point in a game CAP and Grant will switch roles and Grant will bust it up the middle between tackles and easily into the secondary because when he is on the field, defenses will spread to cover the corners.

As mentioned above, I sure would hate to lose Grant as the speed option. Last season he ran a few up the middle and did a couple yesterday but he has the moves and speed on the corners and will really keep the defenses honest on the options. I'm good with CAP if he holds onto the ball....just me perhaps but I'm not looking for him to go the distance all the time..just keep moving the ball forward...and also make 2 or 3 yards when the entire stadium knows he will be getting the ball...and to hold onto the ball.

As for Roc and Barber...they will have their turns but maybe it's my age or something but I value experience...playing with guys that "have been there" and CAP and Grant bring that element to the game. When Barber went down yesterday I realized that we are not that deep at RB though....and I hope both Roc and Barber get some time with the ball this year...but I would prefer to see CAP and Grant as the main weapons.

I've been a Peyton Barber proponent based on some previous comments and what I know of the guy. But what I saw in CAP yesterday that I loved about Tre last year was the additional yardage after contact. Tre always seem to fall forward and gain another 2 or 3 yards. Last year it seemed like CAP did not have additional push, but it looked like he added the to his arsenal in the A-Day game. I think we will see a lot similar to last year with Tre in the power, Grant in the sweep and CAP in the relief - this year will be CAP in the power, Grant in the sweep and PB in the relief. The twist this year (we know Gus always has a new twist to keep defenses off-balance), is at some point in a game CAP and Grant will switch roles and Grant will bust it up the middle between tackles and easily into the secondary because when he is on the field, defenses will spread to cover the corners.

CAP doesn't run with nearly the same burst or power that Tre ran with. Those yards after contact that CAP was getting yesterday were against reserves and walk-ons. I can't for the life of me understand why people call CAP a power back.

CAP doesn't run with nearly the same burst or power that Tre ran with. Those yards after contact that CAP was getting yesterday were against reserves and walk-ons. I can't for the life of me understand why people call CAP a power back.

Maybe you should check some video from last season...he's earned the reputation IMO

Maybe you should check some video from last season...he's earned the reputation IMO

I've watched him run since he came to AU. I also remember last summer when all the "insiders" and 90% of the board thought CAP was a virtual lock to be our starter. CAP is a slasher and is not, by any means, a big back.

I've watched him run since he came to AU. I also remember last summer when all the "insiders" and 90% of the board thought CAP was a virtual lock to be our starter. CAP is a slasher and is not, by any means, a big back.

That is laughable. Everyone knew Tre was going to be the starter.

That is laughable. Everyone knew Tre was going to be the starter.

Seriously? Most here were completely enamored with CAP and austudent23 said that CAP was the coaches top back and he'd put his $ on CAP starting. It was definitely a small group who thought Tre was the clearly better back.

CAP = Every down type of back. Good speed and a slash type runner. He can change directions on a dime.

Grant = Outside change of pace back. He could be an every down back, but he is too special to wear out during the course of a game when we don't have to. His speed, acceleration, and strength make him an OMAC ++ type back. Very special. He will get his yards even without being in there every down. The guy has unbelievable acceleration. He is wide open in five strides. When he gets a step on a defense, it is OVER!

Wish we could have seen more of Peyton Barber. Hope he is going to be OK.

It will not matter who starts as it will be by committee until someone steps up again during the season. So who starts is irelavent.

I throw up the huge :bs: on that one. Please show it to all of us if its even remotely true it shouldn't be that hard to prove. Tre Mason had 1,000 yard season in one of the worst seasons in Auburn history. There was never any doubt Mason was going to be the starter last year. Also, CAP is a POWER BACK by every definition of the word. You do realize that physically he is BIGGER than Mason, right? It seems pretty clear you haven't watched as much of him as you claim.

Don't forget we also have Ricardo Louis and Stanton Truitt as speed sweep options. With Nick's running threat, our WRs and an impressive stable of RBs, our ground game will be devastating this year--even more so when defenses have to respect Nick's arm. I can't wait til fall!

I'd prefer we see a realtively even mix of CAP and Grant. In my ideal world, CAP and Grant each rush for 1000-1250 yards, and we get Marshall down to about 800 and up to 24-28 pass attempts per game. Fresh legs for our RB's will equal higher ypc.

Archived