Starting RB for the 2014 season will be?

ClaytonAU

McLoofus:

I am not saying that Grant is lacking the physical/mental toughness at all. I just think CAP has better vision and cutting abilities and Barber is just too damn good to be held back. Roc will play though I imagine he will be worked in slowly at first.

The fact that we are even talking about this topic is awesome IMO. 2015 may be even better with Barber, Roc & Jovon. That isn't even including Kerryon Johnson, but I think he lands at Safety when all is said and done.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

McLoofus:

I am not saying that Grant is lacking the physical/mental toughness at all. I just think CAP has better vision and cutting abilities and Barber is just too damn good to be held back. Roc will play though I imagine he will be worked in slowly at first.

The fact that we are even talking about this topic is awesome IMO. 2015 may be even better with Barber, Roc & Jovon. That isn't even including Kerryon Johnson, but I think he lands at Safety when all is said and done.

i am assuming that Marshall is going to trade rushing yards/attempts for passing yards/attempts, but we aren't going to lose rushing yards as a team. My guess is Gus ramps the tempo up and there are more RB rush attempts to spread.

I believe we averaged low 70's in plays per game last year and Gus has often said 85 was the goal. I'm guessing we hit that this year. In other words we will NEED more than one "primary" back to consume the greater number of carries.

McLoofus:

Dixie, looks like for a while we will be reloading at RB. I agree next year will be crazy with Roc, Barber, and hopefully Jovon and Kerryon, plus we have Truitt to run sweeps.Truitt is our lightning in a bottle.

McLoofus:

Dixie, looks like for a while we will be reloading at RB. I agree next year will be crazy with Roc, Barber, and hopefully Jovon and Kerryon, plus we have Truitt to run sweeps.Truitt is our lightning in a bottle.

I think we're going to be in a stage of reloading at pretty much every position for a while, quite frankly. I honestly think Malzahn is going to have the national pundits considering Auburn in the top 5 programs in college football in a very short order.

McLoofus:

:thumbsup:

I know that Gus wants CAP and Grant to have great SR campaigns, which I believe they will. The number of weapons we have has to make Gus smile when he thinks about it. i want Barber, Roc and Jovon in 2015!

I don't think Roc redshirting is as impossible as some here seem to think. CAP and Grant should/will get 70% of the carries, Marshall will get 20% Barber gets 10%

I know I have no supporters behind this idea BUT to me it makes sense to do really just use those three and redshirt our two freshman RB's because next year we lose CAP and Grant so that leaves us with 3 in the backfield other than 2015 freshman.

Plus if I remember right Roc had an injury his senior year correct? Giving that another year to fully rest and putting another 15 pounds on him could do phenomenal things for the kid instead of giving him 5-10 carries a game.

I get he is a phenomenal talent and I know he probably won't redshirt but I hope he does. Our running game is in good hands with or without him.

I'll be disappointed if CAP and Grant get 70% of the carries.

Whether you'd be disappointed or not we'd still have the #1 rushing offense in the SEC

I don't think Roc redshirting is as impossible as some here seem to think. CAP and Grant should/will get 70% of the carries, Marshall will get 20% Barber gets 10%

I know I have no supporters behind this idea BUT to me it makes sense to do really just use those three and redshirt our two freshman RB's because next year we lose CAP and Grant so that leaves us with 3 in the backfield other than 2015 freshman.

Plus if I remember right Roc had an injury his senior year correct? Giving that another year to fully rest and putting another 15 pounds on him could do phenomenal things for the kid instead of giving him 5-10 carries a game.

I get he is a phenomenal talent and I know he probably won't redshirt but I hope he does. Our running game is in good hands with or without him.

Roc did play through an injury, but often the psychological effects of doing so are far more beneficial than just sitting out for a year and becoming paranoid about injury. Quite frequently, those types become injury prone more due to that paranoia than actually being hurt.

As for having three other than the incoming freshmen, there are plenty of touches to go around, and it makes sense to me to give Roc some game day experience even if it's in a more limited capacity. As for putting weight on, he won't be doing much of that during the season, anyway, and he'll have plenty of time during the offseason to do so if his body can manage it (i.e. not lose any of his speed or agility while putting on the extra pounds).

Another advantage to letting Roc get playing time, and one that carries a great deal of weight with the higher level recruits, is proving that Malzahn will give you early playing time if you earn your way onto the field, even with studs playing ahead of you. From the perspective of a 5 star running back, if he sees Roc being redshirted simply because we have three quality guys who are older than him, then the promise of playing time (if earned) will be rather diminished with Barber, Thomas, and (potentially) Jovon Robinson in 2015, all with eligibility remaining.

That's not to mention the fact that, if he pans out the way we expect, it is highly unlikely that Thomas would stick around for five years, so the redshirt would become a season during which his talents were wasted on the sidelines.

Now, all of that having been said, if he still has any lingering effects from last year's injury, or if he would rather spend a year picking up blocking schemes and helping the defense by providing them with a scout team running back as good as virtually any starter they'll see all season, then I wouldn't have a problem with the redshirt. Ultimately, though, I think it will come down to the coaches telling him that he's good enough to play right away, but that his touches will likely be limited unless we have a couple of injuries, and they'll let him decide what he wants to do.

Whether you'd be disappointed or not we'd still have the #1 rushing offense in the SEC

With our oline, scheme and Nick Marshall at QB, I could line up in the backfield and we'd have the top rushing attack in the league.

Why?

Just me hoping that either Barber or Roc really "wows" the coaches during fall camp. CAP and Grant are both good backs in their own right but I guess I'm just looking for a little more... Maybe Tre spoiled me the last few years.

i personally feel that if roc comes in and shows what he can do, he will take the starting spot. i really like grant and cap is a good player, but neither of them are crazy talented. I think grants has more natural talent than cap but he lacks the size, so i feel that roc just needs to establish himself in fall camp. Gus will start the best player on the field which we saw in 2010 when dyer (A true freshman) was started after the established senior mario fannin.

i personally feel that if roc comes in and shows what he can do, he will take the starting spot. i really like grant and cap is a good player, but neither of them are crazy talented. I think grants has more natural talent than cap but he lacks the size, so i feel that roc just needs to establish himself in fall camp. Gus will start the best player on the field which we saw in 2010 when dyer (A true freshman) was started after the established senior mario fannin.

I STRONGLY doubt that Roc will come in and take over as starter from day 1, no matter what. Picking up pass blocking schemes at this level generally takes more than the two weeks of fall practice, and with three guys returning who are all well acquainted with the system, there is no reason to rush him along. Dyer wasn't the opening game starter in 2010, either...pretty sure that Mario Fannin held that distinction, and Dyer was worked in more as the season went along.

Besides, I think you're selling CAP, Grant, AND Barber a little short. After all, the first two combined for more than 1,200 yards last year in spite of Tre getting most of the carries, and everyone has been raving about Barber's natural ability. If he hadn't been hurt during his junior season of high school, then he would have been on the recruiting sites' radar before his phenomenal 1,700 yard senior campaign, and thus rated at least as a high four star...

I STRONGLY doubt that Roc will come in and take over as starter from day 1, no matter what. Picking up pass blocking schemes at this level generally takes more than the two weeks of fall practice, and with three guys returning who are all well acquainted with the system, there is no reason to rush him along. Dyer wasn't the opening game starter in 2010, either...pretty sure that Mario Fannin held that distinction, and Dyer was worked in more as the season went along.

Besides, I think you're selling CAP, Grant, AND Barber a little short. After all, the first two combined for more than 1,200 yards last year in spite of Tre getting most of the carries, and everyone has been raving about Barber's natural ability. If he hadn't been hurt during his junior season of high school, then he would have been on the recruiting sites' radar before his phenomenal 1,700 yard senior campaign, and thus rated at least as a high four star...

I do not disagree with you, and i will not be surprised if cap or grant or even barber take the starting spot. i think they all good backs i have just watched roc first hand in high school and there is no denying that he has more natural talent than any of the other rb's we have on the roster. i do think he will definitely have to figure out pass blocking and adjust to the SEC college football level. That being said his natural ability reminds me so much of carnell Williams. Maybe not at the beginning of the season but i think as the season progresses he takes that spot.

I have to disagree with you on Roc. He'll get reps, but I don't think he takes the starting spot.

With Nick developing further and Gus historically relishing passes to RBs (when his cast can handle that role), I wouldn't be surprised if the RBs are tasked with catching way, way more than last year. Meaning of the top 4 RBs, the guy with sticky hands may find himself with the most playing time.

Archived