Starting RB for the 2014 season will be?

ClaytonAU

I'd prefer we see a realtively even mix of CAP and Grant. In my ideal world, CAP and Grant each rush for 1000-1250 yards, and we get Marshall down to about 800 and up to 24-28 pass attempts per game. Fresh legs for our RB's will equal higher ypc.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been a Peyton Barber proponent based on some previous comments and what I know of the guy. But what I saw in CAP yesterday that I loved about Tre last year was the additional yardage after contact. Tre always seem to fall forward and gain another 2 or 3 yards. Last year it seemed like CAP did not have additional push, but it looked like he added the to his arsenal in the A-Day game. I think we will see a lot similar to last year with Tre in the power, Grant in the sweep and CAP in the relief - this year will be CAP in the power, Grant in the sweep and PB in the relief. The twist this year (we know Gus always has a new twist to keep defenses off-balance), is at some point in a game CAP and Grant will switch roles and Grant will bust it up the middle between tackles and easily into the secondary because when he is on the field, defenses will spread to cover the corners.

CAP doesn't run with nearly the same burst or power that Tre ran with. Those yards after contact that CAP was getting yesterday were against reserves and walk-ons. I can't for the life of me understand why people call CAP a power back.

Maybe you should check some video from last season...he's earned the reputation IMO

I've watched him run since he came to AU. I also remember last summer when all the "insiders" and 90% of the board thought CAP was a virtual lock to be our starter. CAP is a slasher and is not, by any means, a big back.

I throw up the huge :bs: on that one. Please show it to all of us if its even remotely true it shouldn't be that hard to prove. Tre Mason had 1,000 yard season in one of the worst seasons in Auburn history. There was never any doubt Mason was going to be the starter last year. Also, CAP is a POWER BACK by every definition of the word. You do realize that physically he is BIGGER than Mason, right? It seems pretty clear you haven't watched as much of him as you claim.

Haha ok. Search "Cameron Artis Payne" and look at some of the preseason expectation threads from last summer. The "Mark My Word" thread was especially funny. True, a lot of people said Mason (more than I remembered) but to say there was "never any doubt Mason would be the starter" is flat out wrong.

What makes CAP a POWER BACK? The fact that he weighs more than Mason? Are you serious? Mason ran with way more explosive POWER than CAP has ever shown. This isn't the 80's where just because you weigh over 200lbs you're considered a POWER BACK.

CAP, Grant and Mason are all in the same category size wise- probably 5 lbs and an inch separates the smallest of the 3 from the largest. None of them are Derrick Henry, nor are any of them Onterrio McCaleb. Grant is obviously in a different category speed wise, but that doesn't automatically mean he's incapable of running between the tackles. CAP is the biggest of the three by a slim margin, but that doesn't make him Jeremy Hill. Tre might have been the slowest of the three and was definitely not the largest, yet he was one of the best every-down workhorse RBs to ever play at Auburn.

I don't know why fans insist on trying to categorize backs as either "power backs" or "speed backs". It's useless and inaccurate, and often insulting to the athletes.

CAP, Grant and Mason are all in the same category size wise- probably 5 lbs and an inch separates the smallest of the 3 from the largest. None of them are Derrick Henry, nor are any of them Onterrio McCaleb. Grant is obviously in a different category speed wise, but that doesn't automatically mean he's incapable of running between the tackles. CAP is the biggest of the three by a slim margin, but that doesn't make him Jeremy Hill. Tre might have been the slowest of the three and was definitely not the largest, yet he was one of the best every-down workhorse RBs to ever play at Auburn.

I don't know why fans insist on trying to categorize backs as either "power backs" or "speed backs". It's useless and inaccurate, and often insulting to the athletes.

I don't disagree with anything you said. As usual, McLoofus bringing a strong post to the thread.

Don't disagree. Any of them COULD be an every down back. Grant's speed is so special, that I would rather he be a change of pace back and work out on the edge. Not because he cannot be the main back. but to keep those legs fresh. He is a special type player who has tremendous speed, vision, and toughness.

I've been a Peyton Barber proponent based on some previous comments and what I know of the guy. But what I saw in CAP yesterday that I loved about Tre last year was the additional yardage after contact. Tre always seem to fall forward and gain another 2 or 3 yards. Last year it seemed like CAP did not have additional push, but it looked like he added the to his arsenal in the A-Day game. I think we will see a lot similar to last year with Tre in the power, Grant in the sweep and CAP in the relief - this year will be CAP in the power, Grant in the sweep and PB in the relief. The twist this year (we know Gus always has a new twist to keep defenses off-balance), is at some point in a game CAP and Grant will switch roles and Grant will bust it up the middle between tackles and easily into the secondary because when he is on the field, defenses will spread to cover the corners.

CAP doesn't run with nearly the same burst or power that Tre ran with. Those yards after contact that CAP was getting yesterday were against reserves and walk-ons. I can't for the life of me understand why people call CAP a power back.

Maybe you should check some video from last season...he's earned the reputation IMO

I've watched him run since he came to AU. I also remember last summer when all the "insiders" and 90% of the board thought CAP was a virtual lock to be our starter. CAP is a slasher and is not, by any means, a big back.

I throw up the huge :bs: on that one. Please show it to all of us if its even remotely true it shouldn't be that hard to prove. Tre Mason had 1,000 yard season in one of the worst seasons in Auburn history. There was never any doubt Mason was going to be the starter last year. Also, CAP is a POWER BACK by every definition of the word. You do realize that physically he is BIGGER than Mason, right? It seems pretty clear you haven't watched as much of him as you claim.

Haha ok. Search "Cameron Artis Payne" and look at some of the preseason expectation threads from last summer. The "Mark My Word" thread was especially funny. True, a lot of people said Mason (more than I remembered) but to say there was "never any doubt Mason would be the starter" is flat out wrong.

What makes CAP a POWER BACK? The fact that he weighs more than Mason? Are you serious? Mason ran with way more explosive POWER than CAP has ever shown. This isn't the 80's where just because you weigh over 200lbs you're considered a POWER BACK.

I searched for 'Cameron Artis Payne' and found a preseason poll of the leading rusher. 35 votes for Tre, 17 for Corey, 5 for CAP. Now, that's not a scientific survey; but 7 times as many respondents expected Tre to lead the team in rushing.

I do understand your point about labeling CAP a 'power back' -- though this means different things to different people. CAP is shifty. He's got some speed, and he's got some moves. Maybe he has more moves than Tre. Tre runs with his heart and runs 'bigger' than he is. I also think labeling Corey the 'speed' back undervalues his abilities.

I also agree with Stripe. It will be running back by committee until someone steps up and grabs the starter role and refuses to relinquish it. I do expect CAP to start at the beginning of the season. (After all, he's our POWER back. :big: )

I searched for 'Cameron Artis Payne' and found a preseason poll of the leading rusher. 35 votes for Tre, 17 for Corey, 5 for CAP. Now, that's not a scientific survey; but 7 times as many respondents expected Tre to lead the team in rushing.

I do understand your point about labeling CAP a 'power back' -- though this means different things to different people. CAP is shifty. He's got some speed, and he's got some moves. Maybe he has more moves than Tre. Tre runs with his heart and runs 'bigger' than he is. I also think labeling Corey the 'speed' back undervalues his abilities.

I also agree with Stripe. It will be running back by committee until someone steps up and grabs the starter role and refuses to relinquish it. I do expect CAP to start at the beginning of the season. (After all, he's our POWER back. :big: )

I didn't see that poll in particular but I did look back at a lot of posts and it seemed to be about an even split between CAP and Tre. I can admit when I'm wrong and I was definitely wrong about the % of people who backed CAP over Mason. That being said, it still shocked me how many people thought CAP would come in and play over Mason and that some of those were "insiders".

I still stand my ground on the whole POWER BACK debate though. If we are putting RB's into categories, that isn't the category I'd ever put CAP into...regardless of whether or not he weighs a few pounds more than Mason(lulz).

I agree that CAP and Grant will be our two starters. Hoping Barber is healed and ready to go. I know he was disappointed that he didn't get to play Saturday. If these guys stay healthy during the season, they'll take most of the reps, with Barber spelling CAP.

Roc and Pettway will get some PT as well. (Everybody just seems to ignore Pettway, but I think he'll surprise.) But it will take them awhile to learn their blocking responsibilities. So their ability to pick up that will affect their playing time.

I expect Pettway to redshirt, myself, though if he proves capable in the H-back role then he might get some time right away. I still think Roc will get some carries from the "speed back" role, while Corey gets a few carries in the premier role along with CAP.

That is, of course, unless Peyton Barber just starts blowing everybody away, and he ends up taking over most of the carries. Which he still might well do...kid has all the talent in the world.

Archived