Starting RB for the 2014 season will be?

ClaytonAU

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Starting RB will be CAP. He will alternate with Grant. Grant will continue to be the speed back as well.

Think we will see Barber as the relief back this year, getting ready for key role next year along with ROC. ROC will be red-shirtted, unless one of the other backs goes down.

ROC needs time to heal and get some AU gym time.

Our offense is going to be so bad as* this year. Perhaps the best ever in AU history!

We will not be one dimensional. Our receivers are coming along and Slamming Sammie, Williams, Lewis, Davis, and CJ are going to light it up with Marshall throwing it at will. The play action passing game, coupled with the explosive running game, is going to be able to practically score at will.

If our defense improves just 30% over last year, we will definitely be undefeated. I actually look for our defense to be a tad better than they were in the NC game. They will not be giving up the "trash plays" like they did last year, they will be better prepared this year.

2014 is going to be all AU, mark it down. Not only do we have the returning talent, but we have the experience and the time to hone our craft. It is going to be something to see. The only thing that could derail our season is key injuries.

War Eagle

Roc will not be redshirted, pettway probably but Roc isnt going to be. Im pretty sure Gus and Rhett told him no red shirt year.

I could also see Gus using Roc at the speed back role ate first and slowly moving him to the every down back.

Personally, I see this as the most likely scenario. IMO, he will be the backup to Grant in the speed back role, while Grant either splits carries with CAP in the featured back role with Barber as their backup, or Barber overtakes Grant as the primary backup to CAP (which would make us two deep at each position, with two "speed backs" that also have the ability to lower their shoulders and deliver an impact).

Well, Roc is kind of an unknown at this point. If I had to make a safe bet I'd say that CAP will get the majority of the carries to start the season with Barber making a strong case for the starting role later as the season progresses. This is just based off of actual quotes from players/former players. It seems to me that the general opinion amongst the players on the team is that Barber is the best RB out of all of them.

I could also see Gus using Roc at the speed back role ate first and slowly moving him to the every down back.

That is a good possibility. Roc could be used in the return game as well.

We do not need 4 RBs rotating regularly. We only had three really rotating last year.

I think the "feature back" will be CAP hands down. He was more then capable last year but had a true beast in his way. I think we will see several people line up back there throughout the season but IMO it is easily CAPs job to lose. I look at it like this. Last year Tre was Arian Foster and CAP was Ben Tate. CAP could run the show but there was a guy just a little better in front of him.

I think the "feature back" will be CAP hands down. He was more then capable last year but had a true beast in his way. I think we will see several people line up back there throughout the season but IMO it is easily CAPs job to lose. I look at it like this. Last year Tre was Arian Foster and CAP was Ben Tate. CAP could run the show but there was a guy just a little better in front of him.

Solid comparison. Very nice

CAP continues the Dyer/Mason role

Grant continues the McCalebb role with a few more inside carries than last year

Barber come in to give CAP a break

Roc redshirts or comes in for Grants break and also does some special teams.

I know we are all hyped about Roc but I just don't see him getting a lot of carries. Regardless of talent level that we see in his highlight film.

CAP continues the Dyer/Mason role

Grant continues the McCalebb role with a few more inside carries than last year

Barber come in to give CAP a break

Roc redshirts or comes in for Grants break and also does some special teams.

I know we are all hyped about Roc but I just don't see him getting a lot of carries. Regardless of talent level that we see in his highlight film.

i guarantee there is 0% chance of redshirting Roc, im pretty sure when Gus offered him he told him no redshirt year

A lot of the amazing things you see in Roc's highlight reel isn't going to work nearly as well in the college game. Their is no doubt he is very talented but he is going to have to be a more north, south runner. I don't think we are going to see much of him next year but he will take over in the 2015 season with Peyton.

A lot of the amazing things you see in Roc's highlight reel isn't going to work nearly as well in the college game. Their is no doubt he is very talented but he is going to have to be a more north, south runner. I don't think we are going to see much of him next year but he will take over in the 2015 season with Peyton.

I agree. Not to say he won't be great, but he is going to experience a completely different game at the next level. I really don't see a reason not to redshirt him with the talent we already have.

I agree. Not to say he won't be great, but he is going to experience a completely different game at the next level. I really don't see a reason not to redshirt him with the talent we already have.

Because that sends a message to other elite RB recruits that they'll have to ride the bench for a year while they'd be playing right away at other programs. Also, if Roc is as good as advertised then he'll probably be gone in 3 years. Might as well put him on the field, in some capacity, next year... At least returning kicks or punts.

I wouldn't mind seeing Roc do some punt or kick returns if he is only going to be the 3rd or 4th back in this year

Because that sends a message to other elite RB recruits that they'll have to ride the bench for a year while they'd be playing right away at other programs. Also, if Roc is as good as advertised then he'll probably be gone in 3 years. Might as well put him on the field, in some capacity, next year... At least returning kicks or punts.

Maybe kickoff return but I wouldn't trust a freshman at punt return unless he showed nerves of steel. Punt return can be a back breaker in a close game and I want somebody with excellent hands like Duke Williams or game time experience like Therezie.

He'd be my guy under the uprights for field goal return though haha

You persuaded me. Those are good "reasons not to redshirt him". :bow:;)

If he's that good, find something for him to do. Maybe just let him make the decision.

Not to mention guys, this is Gus we're talking about; don't be too surprised to see the plethora of runners we have used in special and unique ways.

Hmmm ... there's one RB that everyone seems to be forgetting about. Kamryn Pettway. I'm looking forward to seeing him in the mix as well. This corps of running backs is really something!

I have to disagree with something I posted earlier, we need to redshirt the supper star we got from Oxford. Grant and Cam will line up in the backfield a lot together, both can take the major role.

I have to disagree with something I posted earlier, we need to redshirt the supper star we got from Oxford. Grant and Cam will line up in the backfield a lot together, both can take the major role.

What if I told you that Roc is more talented than both of them? Would you change your mind?

Archived