Starting RB for the 2014 season will be?

ClaytonAU

CAP starts the year as #1 but by the 3rd game Barber takes the reigns. I don't see Grant ever being our true every down back.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In no way am I criticizing CAP, but the only thing I think that could keep him from getting the job is he doesn't seem to have that unstoppable determination to get that one extra yard or one extra inch. Tre seemed to always be stopped but somehow eek out another little piece before going down. I haven't seen that from CAP yet. YET. Not that he isn't capable of it but I want to see it. That's by far my favorite thing about Tre and I love the intensity it brings to the offense. With that said, I can't make up my mind between CAP and Barber.. however, I see Grant touching the ball a lot more than last year. Maybe more catching passes out of the backfield for him this year.

I have a feeling that when CAP is the feature back, we will see those yards after contact from him even more. He is going to have a sense of urgency this year.

I agree with both of you. CAP will win the job (maybe a few games into the season); he has a sense of urgency; and I want to see him get that extra yard!

Edit: Article on CAP.

CAP showed enough last year. He'd have been All-SEC himself had Mason not been in front of him. If Roc truly shines, it will be Grant and Barber that lose carries to him, not CAP.

CAP will be the "starting" RB. BUT I am more excited than a 16 year old with a license. There is a stable of RB with this team and the "starter" will be the workhorse that appears game 3. Man, this is going to be a legendary year. BOOK IT!

Games 1-3 CAP

Games 4-6 Peyton Barber

Games 7-15 Roc Thomas

I think Grant stays at the O-Mac role. Roc Thomas takes over as the "feature back" halfway through the season when he gets his legs underneath him, just like Cadillac did.

I think this season will look a lot like last year--a fairly even split between CAP, Barber, and Roc early in the season, with one emerging as the star after 3-4 games. Based on Mason's comments about Barber's talent, I'm expecting him to be the one to emerge.

CAP will be the "starting" RB. BUT I am more excited than a 16 year old with a license. There is a stable of RB with this team and the "starter" will be the workhorse that appears game 3. Man, this is going to be a legendary year. BOOK IT!

I think CAP will be the "starter" as well, especially early in the season.

Two things: 1. Gus likes to go with the hot hand, whoever fits best and is most productive any given Saturday will be the go to guy. 2. We do have a great stable of RBs so I believe at least 4 guys will get a good chunk of carries this year.

I predict we will have 5 different players rush for 100 yards in a game this season - Marshall, CAP, Grant, Barber, and Roc

Therefore, I do think we will have 2 1,000 yard rushers - Marshall and probably CAP. I don't think anyone cracks 1,500. The carries will be spread around more this year and we will be more balanced on offense with more passing.

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2014/03/cameron_artis-paynes_spring_go.html

Sounds like we won't really know until a few games into the season:

Nine years into his college coaching career, Gus Malzahn's method for finding his lead runner is well-established. When Malzahn's teams have depth at running back, he usually spreads carries around early in the season, waiting for one player to wrest control of the job like Mason did in a 26-carry, 132-yard performance in a loss to LSU last season.

"You would like to have some sort of idea moving forward, but running back is a position we have had success with two and three guys," Malzahn said. "Usually what happens in the course of the year, one guy kind of steps up like Tre did last year."

Malzahn always finds one running back to be the bell cow. In nine years at the college level, Malzahn's teams have always developed into one clear leader, a backup and a "speed" player he uses to attack the perimeter.

Grant will obviously continue in the speed role. CAP and Barber are the leading candidates for the bell cow role, but Roc will be given every opportunity to compete once he gets on campus. Kick return duty is also a real possibility for any of them.

The coaches truly have a great problem on their hands with all of these great backs. I have personally seen Roc Thomas up close and in person twice over the past two seasons. He is without a doubt the best high school player I have ever seen in person. Without him Oxford probably would not have won more than 4 games this past season. I would be surprised if he doesn't make an impact in some way this fall.

I agree that it is important that we put our RB's in the NFL. However, I don't think they have to be our #1 RB in order to be drafted. All the scouts want is enough of a sample to evaluate along with good combine #'s. CAP will get drafted.

The answer is; by committee until Barber takes over. Roc will play more as we go through the season. Next year is him and Barber a la Caddy/Brown!

I dont even care who starts. All of our backs are stud athletes and will be capable of doing anything we need. Im so excited for game one. Can you say "NIP WATCH?!?!?"

I agree that it is important that we put our RB's in the NFL. However, I don't think they have to be our #1 RB in order to be drafted. All the scouts want is enough of a sample to evaluate along with good combine #'s. CAP will get drafted.

The answer is; by committee until Barber takes over. Roc will play more as we go through the season. Next year is him and Barber a la Caddy/Brown!

I'll admit that I'm tempted by this answer; it was my first instinct. However, I really like the sorts of things CAP is saying. He seems like a man on a mission to win the starting job ASAP. Now, he may not do it. But he sure sounds like he intends to do what it takes. That goes a long way in my book.

Also, by the way, have been reading some good stuff on Corey Grant being 'definitely in it' for the every down back role.

I'll admit that I'm tempted by this answer; it was my first instinct. However, I really like the sorts of things CAP is saying. He seems like a man on a mission to win the starting job ASAP. Now, he may not do it. But he sure sounds like he intends to do what it takes. That goes a long way in my book.

Also, by the way, have been reading some good stuff on Corey Grant being 'definitely in it' for the every down back role.

I have to agree with both of you, and I really don't think this one is going to be settled with just one guy getting a lot more carries than another. I think CAP and Grant could share the featured back role quite nicely, with Barber to bring in as the knockout punch just when the defense thinks they can relax. And I'm not so sure that Corey will necessarily be playing the speed back role as much as he did last year, because I believe Roc is fully capable of picking that position up, giving him a place in the offense as well.

BTW, the comparison between Roc/Barber and Caddy/Brown is one that has been going through my head ever since Thomas first committed to Auburn, as well.

Also, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if Pettway gets on the field as the H-back. After all, he WAS practicing some at the position during the AL-MS HS All-Star practices, so my guess is that he's open to the possibility. Having three freshmen, two of them true freshmen, getting significant playing time would do wonders for recruiting, too, because with two seniors who will be leaving, that's two more spots open, and Gus has definitely shown a propensity to utilize young players who prove they are ready for action. Think about that for a second, now: three freshmen RBs, all with significant game experience, returning, and STILL having both the clout and the legitimate room to go after and sign top notch runners.

Auburn has been RBU for my entire life, but the potential that exists now, with this offense, is beyond anything I've ever seen.

For those that think Grant will be one of our tailbacks in the rotation, I would the ask the following questions...

Is it possible to learn how to become a cut back runner?

Can a back develop elite change of direction skills at this stage of his career?

I do not see Corey Grant in this role and never conceived the idea quite honestly with all that we have on the roster. He's similar to Reggie Bush in some ways and Gus will keep using him in ways that compliment his skill set.

Unless we have a rash of injuries, I don't see it as a good fit.

Can a back develop elite change of direction skills at this stage of his career?

I do not see Corey Grant in this role and never conceived the idea quite honestly with all that we have on the roster. He's similar to Reggie Bush in some ways

Huh?

I have to agree with both of you, and I really don't think this one is going to be settled with just one guy getting a lot more carries than another. I think CAP and Grant could share the featured back role quite nicely, with Barber to bring in as the knockout punch just when the defense thinks they can relax. And I'm not so sure that Corey will necessarily be playing the speed back role as much as he did last year, because I believe Roc is fully capable of picking that position up, giving him a place in the offense as well.

BTW, the comparison between Roc/Barber and Caddy/Brown is one that has been going through my head ever since Thomas first committed to Auburn, as well.

Also, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if Pettway gets on the field as the H-back. After all, he WAS practicing some at the position during the AL-MS HS All-Star practices, so my guess is that he's open to the possibility. Having three freshmen, two of them true freshmen, getting significant playing time would do wonders for recruiting, too, because with two seniors who will be leaving, that's two more spots open, and Gus has definitely shown a propensity to utilize young players who prove they are ready for action. Think about that for a second, now: three freshmen RBs, all with significant game experience, returning, and STILL having both the clout and the legitimate room to go after and sign top notch runners.

Auburn has been RBU for my entire life, but the potential that exists now, with this offense, is beyond anything I've ever seen.

However you want to word it is fine as long as we all agree "Dixie is right", it's all good! :nanner:

I do not see Corey Grant in this role and never conceived the idea quite honestly with all that we have on the roster. He's similar to Reggie Bush in some ways

Huh?

I should have clarified but I did not say exactly like Reggie Bush, by "similar in some ways". Yes, Reggie can cut back I realize that fact. Both have always been good at running around people, and neither have been excellent between tackle runners.

However you want to word it is fine as long as we all agree "Dixie is right", it's all good! :nanner:

:laugh: What I was getting at is that I don't believe Barber will exactly be taking over as the primary back, at least not this season. I think he has the potential to do so, but I believe CAP and Corey will be up to the challenge of allowing him to remain a bit of a secret weapon.

That having been said, I've been EXTREMELY high on Barber ever since he came on our radar as a recruit. Dude is a straight up baller.

For those that think Grant will be one of our tailbacks in the rotation, I would the ask the following questions...

Is it possible to learn how to become a cut back runner?

I do not see Corey Grant in this role and never conceived the idea quite honestly with all that we have on the roster. He's similar to Reggie Bush in some ways and Gus will keep using him in ways that compliment his skill set.

Unless we have a rash of injuries, I don't see it as a good fit.

Grant isn't Reggie Bush or Onterrio McCalebb. He was utilized in the speed back role last year because Tre stepped up and became the man, but the two are built similarly, and let us not forget that at one time Mason was considered nothing more than a speed back, himself.

Besides, running between the tackles is less about having change of direction skills and more about having field vision skills. Time will tell if he can stand up to that test, and thankfully we have two guys on the roster already who are built perfectly for running between the tackles (with another elite talent set to report this summer), but I do believe he has what it takes to be a more traditional type of RB, rather than just a speed back.

Question to those in the know: Will Roc be physically ready to compete at the RB position this fall? I know he has the skill-set but everytime I see him he just looks to be a bit undersized to tote the rock between the tackles in the SEC.

Rednilla, rarely do I agree with anybody as much as I agree with your last 2 posts.

chimesAU, Roc will be ready. Pay less attention to his size and more attention to the way he runs. Also, consider Red's comments above. That said, I really think we can redshirt Roc unless one of the other guys gets hurt.

Red shirting Roc will only mean he plays for two years most likely. IMO Grant is going to have his work cut out for him. I hope he proves me wrong. But if CAP isn't the guy, it's Barber. If he isn't THE guy and we sign Jovon, we may see PB transfer. He is too good.

Archived