Lou Holtz spoke to Auburn Football team

Plaric

Years ago I attended a banquet where he spoke. It was after his immediate departure from his one year stint with the Jets, in other words, a long time ago. He was pretty funny and did a good job but I have to say this. Gus is a much bigger man than me. This looks like a brilliant PR move maybe designed to inveigle the Thenator to dial back his antipathy towards Auburn a bit. I hope it works. There have been times I shouted at my TV because of his uncalled for remarks about Auburn.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a big fan of Mr. Holtz but smart move by Gus. Everyone knows ESPN rules NCAA football so if he can sway us into their good graces it's all for the better. Better for recruiting, better for our school and program, and better for our case for pre-season rankings. I wonder if Bruce Pearl, who recently worked at ESPN, had little bit of a hand in getting Lou to the Plains.

Holtz can be a prick and your best friend the next minute. He lives in prestigious Isleworth Golf & Country Club Windermere, Fl. Use to run into him at what the locals call "The Ready" in Windermere. I think his biploar imo

are you confusing him with Tiger Woods?

This was part of his message ...

BkaKT-ICIAA3wvo.png

So true Red! Plus let none of us forget, Gus is a very, very intelligent man! He knows exactly what he is doing form the High School Coaches to the old retired coaches, who still, carry allot of weight!

Holtz can be a prick and your best friend the next minute. He lives in prestigious Isleworth Golf & Country Club Windermere, Fl. Use to run into him at what the locals call "The Ready" in Windermere. I think his biploar imo

Lou lives there (Isleworth Golf & Country Club Windermere, Fl.) next to a huge AU (huge in donations to AU, not waist size) Alum and fan. Lou has said he can't stand him etc...

Maybe that has changed!

War Eagle!!

are you confusing him with Tiger Woods?

No I would run into Tiger at Perkins Rest. and "The Ready"..........think about it.

Lou lives there (Isleworth Golf & Country Club Windermere, Fl.) next to a huge AU (huge in donations to AU, not waist size) Alum and fan. Lou has said he can't stand him etc...

Maybe that has changed!

War Eagle!!

Yep and no it has not changed

Maybe that has changed!

War Eagle!!

Yep and no it has not changed

Oh well. Thanks for the info!

Sorry, Lou Holtz can KMA.

Holtz left Arkansas & Minnesota just before his actions put them on Probation.

He went to Notre Dame and put them on Probation.

He went to South Carolina and left a team in such poor discipline that USCe didnt let the team go to a bowl the last year.

The fight with Clemson was like a wrestling match or a turd family reunion.

I do not care what the little jerk said or did. i hope someone mopped the floor after he left.

:puke:

He has ALWAYS hated Auburn. ALWAYS...

Something I had not considered before:

CGM mentioned in his post-scrimmage presser yesterday that Lou was the Razorback coach (with some success) when Gus was a boy growing up in Arkansas. That gave me a little more perspective on why Gus might respect him more than many of us life-long Auburn fans. It's hard for all of us to outgrow childhood impressions.

And it does seem like most of our players that have talked publicly about Holtz's visit found it to be a good experience. So if they got something positive from it, I'm fine with it.

Lou Holtz has had some stunningly successful coaching stints. He benched virtually every star on his Arky team in the '70s for disciplinary reasons and still beat #1 (Texas?). He commands huge bucks on the inspirational speaker circuit for a reason. For those of us believing its a really REALLY big deal to get along with sports broadcasting audience monopolist ESPN, this is a good call by Gus on many levels.

Anybody can book him as a speaker if they pay his hefty fee. Make no mistake about, it's nothing more than business to him.

Anybody remember old lou throwing the Auburn hermit on live TV while talking about the Cam lies.

I know exactly what you mean, but I needed a laugh! AWESOMENESS! Which hermit you talkin' bout, Willis? :wareagle:

Something I had not considered before:

CGM mentioned in his post-scrimmage presser yesterday that Lou was the Razorback coach (with some success) when Gus was a boy growing up in Arkansas. That gave me a little more prospective on why Gus might respect him more than many of us life-long Auburn fans. It's hard for all of us to outgrow childhood impressions.

And it does seem like most of our players that have talked publicly about Holtz's visit found it to be a good experience. So if they got something positive from it, I'm fine with it.

AHA! Great insight, quietfan!!!

I heard Holtz speak in 1989 or 1990 to an event held by a charitable organization in Mobile. He was actually very good in a strange sort of way. Knowing Gus, this may be his way of trying to disarm Holtz by hiring him to speak to the team. Holtz might be less likely to say as many negative things about Auburn after he has met the players and visited our facilities.

This is not Gus trying to play the media. He started his career in Ark when Lou was at U of A and he has a genuine admiration for the man.

Also, there were over 100 coaches there for a coaching clinic. That was probably how we were able to justify his speaking fee.

He has ALWAYS hated Auburn. ALWAYS...

I know at one point Tubbs said something to the effect of "who cares what Lou Holtz says" and I always figured he didn't like us after that. But this seems to go back further. Anybody got any ideas why the vendetta? Arky wasn't in the SEC when he coached there so couldn't be from back then??

Archived