Baseball at Samford game thread

One thing about baseball, the box score and general observation usually tells a fan why a team won or lost....and per SC's comments above, there is no point IMO of the coach having to remind everyone afterward about who made the mistaks...unless he will accept also that he (the coach) made some bad decisions by sending runners that resulted in outs.

I can accept that CSG is frustrated by the losses and probably he is not accustomed to this kind of loose play....but IMO, he just needs to suck it up, and talk about the good things and move on. The old business adage of "praise in public, punish in private" usually works in sports too.

CSG is not to old to improve his management and motivational skills...a couple management courses at AU's outstanding School of Business might help....he might want to take advantage of the opportunity. Again, just an opinion but if he wants the freshmen that he is so proud of to come back next year, he better consider how he handles defeat...and them.

Mikey...lol..hard to take anyone series named Mikey......my little cousin who is in 3rd grade is names Mikey,,,but anyhow.....do u think that JP messed up your program??/ did u really ever have a program? u act like AU has been an national contender year in and year out....really...AU has been really bad for a long time...like really bad...so the idea that JP messed it up is just plain crazy.....perhaps u make need to stick to being a evaluator of linebackers or whatever your stupid heading says......Galloway is a blowhard.....maybe u ought to look at OU's opinion of him and what former players say...its all out there....his type of coaching is perhaps better suited for grown men instead of kids....an maybe not predict things that will not happen.....and maybe throw up the stop sign at 3rd once in awhile......and work on fundamentals like fielding instead of terrorizing young men......and just perhaps maybe..just saying, maybe get a third base coach who has clue an concentrate on head coaching instead killing rallies....btw....can we call you Michael or Mike?

I am non-committal on the coaching front. Put Golloway and Pawlowski side by side and I'd choose Golloway every time (and people know me as a former big JP supporter). I'm also an eternal optimist, but I feel Auburn will be sub .500 this year; the last SEC series are absolutely brutal. I'm okay with rebuilding years, just not when a coach comes in immediately and starts spouting off how our record will be 19-0 into the first SEC weekend and then here we sit at 21-17. Don't promote Omaha to the fan base all fall just to lay an egg in the Spring. Preach it to the players every day, in the weight room, on their practice jerseys, in the locker room, but don't flaunt it as much as was done this fall. I understand guys haven't (or hadn't as of last month) fully bought in to what CSG wants to bring to Auburn, and sometimes a hard*** coach is needed to instill discipline and work ethic back in his squad. However, above all else, I can't stand the personally calling out of players in post-game interviews. If players get kicked off the team, fine do it but keep the reasons in-house. Don't air your dirty laundry to the media. A guy isn't playing up to his ability or is an attitude problem, put his tail on the bench and give another kid his spot, but don't smear him. It quickly becomes a crutch and an excuse to use and, when the losses pile up, people just wait to see who you're going to add to the pile under the bus next. I still think Golloway can turn it around, and I support him all the way, but his ego to performance ratio at the moment rubs me the wrong way very often.

I feel the same way. I'm a little nervous about his style.

We have a very good coach, and I am sure future seasons will be far better than what we are watching now. We just do not have the talent yet to do a whole lot more than what we have thus far this season. I did not expect a lot of this season, and so far this has played out. There is still some baseball left for this season, and who knows what may happen. I do think this team will show some promise as this season ends.

I am non-committal on the coaching front. Put Golloway and Pawlowski side by side and I'd choose Golloway every time (and people know me as a former big JP supporter). I'm also an eternal optimist, but I feel Auburn will be sub .500 this year; the last SEC series are absolutely brutal. I'm okay with rebuilding years, just not when a coach comes in immediately and starts spouting off how our record will be 19-0 into the first SEC weekend and then here we sit at 21-17. Don't promote Omaha to the fan base all fall just to lay an egg in the Spring. Preach it to the players every day, in the weight room, on their practice jerseys, in the locker room, but don't flaunt it as much as was done this fall. I understand guys haven't (or hadn't as of last month) fully bought in to what CSG wants to bring to Auburn, and sometimes a hard*** coach is needed to instill discipline and work ethic back in his squad. However, above all else, I can't stand the personally calling out of players in post-game interviews. If players get kicked off the team, fine do it but keep the reasons in-house. Don't air your dirty laundry to the media. A guy isn't playing up to his ability or is an attitude problem, put his tail on the bench and give another kid his spot, but don't smear him. It quickly becomes a crutch and an excuse to use and, when the losses pile up, people just wait to see who you're going to add to the pile under the bus next. I still think Golloway can turn it around, and I support him all the way, but his ego to performance ratio at the moment rubs me the wrong way very often.

I feel the same way. I'm a little nervous about his style.

JMO but you have to earn the right to be an a**h*** and he hasn't accomplished that at AU thus far.

We have lots of frosh and I'm hoping they all stay around long enough to develop....time will tell how they react to him and whether we experience continual turnover. Too early to tell yet....but I'm nervous too.

My main issue with Golloway so far is that we're still losing too many mid-week games. I wasn't expecting a much better SEC record than last year but I was hoping we would start winning most of these mid-week games. For some reason it continues to be a problem. I would say these mid-week games are a sign of coaching. Despite the constant criticisms on here about Pawlowski not leaving much talent, Auburn still has more talent than Samford.

Well our starting weekend rotation is very solid 2 out of 3 and the 3rd has generally been respectable. Our batting lags to be a consistent winner. To me, you need bats to win mid-week gams to overcome the pitching staff that is simply being given innings. We don't have enough bats across all 9 spots (particularly in conjunction with what is happening on the bases)

I simply do not understand why we can't field/throw the ball. Same reason I don't understand why we can't shoot better free throws in bball. Should just be more practice right?

The baserunning is also perplexing, but I will give one tiny benefit of the doubt. That is CSG is trying just as hard to get inside these guys ears to create a tougher winning player mindset as he is trying to get proper baseball fundamentals. The baserunning aggressiveness could be about fostering a winning aggressive mindset as it is about manufacturing runs.

I think Coach Golloway is the right guy. I was hoping the current players would morph more but the upperclassmen seem to make more mistakes than the freshman. Just got to suck it up I guess.

Archived