alexava

Will we actually get the story? Seems this staff doesn't like to give only vague updates.

What is vague about: "Gus said he will probably be ok"

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im not a doctor, maybe someone here is, but isn't 3 1/2 months enough for even a really bad high ankle sprain to heal??

I've had a sprain take close to 6 months to fully heal.

Yeah, but you're old!

The freshman running back suffered a high ankle sprain on a hit by linebacker Cassanova McKinzy, who forced a fumble on the 13-yard run, in the first quarter of the A-Day game

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2014/04/auburn_running_back_peyton_bar_2.html

I bet if he's OK before August camp begins then we'll know it from Twitter posts or pics.

Im not a doctor, maybe someone here is, but isn't 3 1/2 months enough for even a really bad high ankle sprain to heal??

The really bad ones may take that long, most don't.

Confirmed by one of his family members in attendance that it was a high ankle sprain.

Could be anywhere from a few weeks to 2-3 months. Depending on severity of the sprain.

The freshman running back suffered a high ankle sprain on a hit by linebacker Cassanova McKinzy, who forced a fumble on the 13-yard run, in the first quarter of the A-Day game

http://www.al.com/au...yton_bar_2.html

Thanks for posting this, bird. What stands out to me is the support expressed for Barber by Young and Grant -- both obviously big fans of his.

The really bad ones never heal completely. A badly sprained ankle will never be the same. But it probably won't affect his long term potential.

I am starting the rumor that this was a set-up play (and thus not a bad injury) so that Gus did not show his new weapon at running back in Peyton Barber during A-Day!

I am starting the rumor that this was a set-up play (and thus not a bad injury) so that Gus did not show his new weapon at running back in Peyton Barber during A-Day!

Ha! Yep -- we distracted everyone with all the throwing, too.

The really bad ones never heal completely. A badly sprained ankle will never the same. But it won't affect his long term potential.

This

The really bad ones never heal completely. A badly sprained ankle will never the same. But it won't affect his long term potential.

This

So are y'all saying it will always feel different, but not effect play?

This

Not sure if it will affect his play or not but my ankles have never quite felt the same after a significant sprain. I've been fine after breaks but, for some reason, sprains seem to nag more.

That being said, Barber is a physical specimen with top notch medical care. Maybe he'll heal up in no time and never lose a step...fingers crossed.

This

Not sure if it will affect his play or not but my ankles have never quite felt the same after a significant sprain. I've been fine after breaks but, for some reason, sprains seem to nag more.

That being said, Barber is a physical specimen with top notch medical care. Maybe he'll heal up in no time and never lose a step...fingers crossed.

Agree. It won't necessarily affect his play, but that ankle won't be as strong from a support standpoint and will be more prone to re-injury. From a recovery standpoint, (simple) fractures of bones are far more preferable to ligament damage.

Breaks = bone, which heal. Sprains = tissue, which stretch and if excessive may never become tight again. Depending in severity the stretch can be tear which may or may not be surgically repaired.

So, yes, depending on what happened, it could be severe or just nagging.

I know Peyton must be very upset with getting injured in the spring game after redshirting last year. Hang in there, big guy, you will get your chance! Stay positive!!! We can't wait to see what you can do on the field, so work hard and get that ankle better!

We are just a little thin at rb. Talented, but not terribly deep. Peyton and Roc are what our depth hinges on.

We are just a little thin at rb. Talented, but not terribly deep. Peyton and Roc are what our depth hinges on.

If Roc is everything we expect him to be, we'll have 4 RBs capable of starting on most rosters. How much depth do you want?

What????

What????

we have CAP that can be the main guy. Cory can be the speed back with some help as the main back. we dont really know what barber or roc can or will do at this level. losing any of them takes away a lot of comfort as far as depth concerns. say peyton's injury turns out like a Justin Garrett type situation then CAP goes down and ROC just isnt ready at 18years of age. we are a little thin. but avoid injuries and every develope as we hope we have no problems.

What????

we have CAP that can be the main guy. Cory can be the speed back with some help as the main back. we dont really know what barber or roc can or will do at this level. losing any of them takes away a lot of comfort as far as depth concerns. say peyton's injury turns out like a Justin Garrett type situation then CAP goes down and ROC just isnt ready at 18years of age. we are a little thin. but avoid injuries and every develope as we hope we have no problems.

Yes, if two of our three top players at any position get injured, and one of our highly touted recruits at that position isn't everything we expected, then we might have troubles. That doesn't mean we're thin.

What????

we have CAP that can be the main guy. Cory can be the speed back with some help as the main back. we dont really know what barber or roc can or will do at this level. losing any of them takes away a lot of comfort as far as depth concerns. say peyton's injury turns out like a Justin Garrett type situation then CAP goes down and ROC just isnt ready at 18years of age. we are a little thin. but avoid injuries and everyone develops as we hope we have no problems.

Yes, if two of our three top players at any position get injured, and one of our highly touted recruits at that position isn't everything we expected, then we might have troubles. That doesn't mean we're thin.

no not any position. most positions are interchangeable like lineman. we have two proven rbs and use both regularly even on the same play at times. the other two are unproven. saturday we were thin. In September hopefully we wont be.

This

A persons age has a lot to do with it. A young person can recover from a joint injury in weeks an older person can take months even a year or more. And then it may not ever feel right again. A top athlete might also feel a difference that a non athlete would just ignore.

This

A persons age has a lot to do with it. A young person can recover from a joint injury in weeks an older person can take months even a year or more. And then it may not ever feel right again. A top athlete might also feel a difference that a non athlete would just ignore.

Very good point.

However, Alexava is right. RB is a specialized, high-risk skill that can exhaust depth quickly with a little bad luck. But we are blessed with what we have in the pipeline.

We're becoming spoiled. ;D;)

I am a doctor .(though admittedly not an ortho) He should be ok. Sprains can and often do take a couple of months to heal. Ankle sprains are notorious for reinjury and subtle tweaks that cause pain and swelling just when you thought it was getting better. I would rather have him not have sprained it, but it could have been worse. Just my two cents so feel free to disagree at will.

Archived