Coker

AU64

Im not saying your wrong, but would you care to elaborate?

This hackneyed, overused smug line from AU fans of "he was 3rd string (or backup) at FSU for a reason" is just lazy. Tons of great QBs were backups before they got their chance. Cam played behind a Heisman winner at Florida, Coker played behind a Heisman winner at FSU. The whole commentary is just pointless.

There's a huge difference between a true freshman being 3rd string behind a Heisman trophy winner and a 4th year senior being 2nd string (and maybe 3rd string if Trickett hadn't transferred out) behind a redshirt freshman.

Behind the Heisman winner.

Again, I wasn't saying Coker will be the Heisman winner, or even good, I was just suggesting it was a stupid argument. Tom Brady was Drew Bledsoe's backup. Just doesn't matter.

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With their easy schedule, Coker probably could have led FSU to an undefeated regular season if he had been the starter last year, but based on what we've seen so far (admittedly limited sample size in a different offense), I seriously doubt he wins any awards or wins the NCG.

Guest jojo1515

This hackneyed, overused smug line from AU fans of "he was 3rd string (or backup) at FSU for a reason" is just lazy. Tons of great QBs were backups before they got their chance. Cam played behind a Heisman winner at Florida, Coker played behind a Heisman winner at FSU. The whole commentary is just pointless.

There's a huge difference between a true freshman being 3rd string behind a Heisman trophy winner and a 4th year senior being 2nd string (and maybe 3rd string if Trickett hadn't transferred out) behind a redshirt freshman.

Behind the Heisman winner.

Again, I wasn't saying Coker will be the Heisman winner, or even good, I was just suggesting it was a stupid argument. Tom Brady was Drew Bledsoe's backup. Just doesn't matter.

Yes, and you are Harvey Updykes backup. Only 5 more days til you can throw the middle finger at all 9-11 victims and worship the bear again...bet you are excited aren't you?

Yes, and you are Harvey Updykes backup. Only 5 more days til you can throw the middle finger at all 9-11 victims and worship the bear again...bet you are excited aren't you?

You really shouldn't let my presence affect you so much. Life's too short.

Guest jojo1515

You really shouldn't let my presence affect you so much. Life's too short.

Thats funny. I just like reminding everyone else who you really are. You have shown your true colors and they can never be covered back up. This thread is proof that you will defend anything bama regardless of right, wrong, truth or fiction. You actually just claimed that a fourth year junior playing as backup was in the same position as Cam at Florida....a freshman that won the heisman when he bacame a junior at a different school. The lack of common sense in your arguments knows no bounds. In typical bammer fashion, you think things are true just because you say them, regardless of facts. Again, I know your true colors and will continue making sure everyone else knows as well. Hope you enjoy :)

What about his being 3rd string at FSU do u not understand?

He wasn't 3rd string last year. What about that do you not understand?

Cam Newton was 3rd string at Florida. What about that do you not understand? I thought my point was pretty obvious.

Dude the guy can't hardly get the formations called right, thats a problem. I have rarely seen a HC and OC that mad and expressive over the play of a QB that was supposed to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. "Worlds strongest arm" didn't see that either. I fully expected Coker to show something and it was almost sad. I can see why JW beat him by now and Blake Sims give Bama the best chance to win by far.

Bg, now you are just sad AND pathetic. Still funny though...

First - I have to lol at comparing cokers situation at FSU with Cams at FL.

Second - UAT has no decent QB. Coker made dumb errors and Sims simply looks good by comparison. Every time I tuned in it was a screen pass or Coker throwing a bad deep ball with a wide open receiver in the middle of the field. The offense just looks comical.

Dude the guy can't hardly get the formations called right, thats a problem. I have rarely seen a HC and OC that mad and expressive over the play of a QB that was supposed to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. "Worlds strongest arm" didn't see that either. I fully expected Coker to show something and it was almost sad. I can see why JW beat him by now and Blake Sims give Bama the best chance to win by far.

I didn't say he was going to be a great or even good QB. And while his game management is awful (and likely what keeps him as the backup), if you don't think that kid has arm talent, you're crazy.

Second - UAT has no decent QB. Coker made dumb errors and Sims simply looks good by comparison. Every time I tuned in it was a screen pass or Coker throwing a bad deep ball with a wide open receiver in the middle of the field. The offense just looks comical.

Then Auburn should have no trouble stopping it...Though I find it hilarious that you think our offense "looks comical" and we have a terrible QB situation - yet we put up 600+ yards today in 3.5 quarters. We didn't punt...the entire game. You can say we had a great performance against a crappy defense, but 'comical' implies inept. Teams that don't punt don't look comical.

BTW, Blake's first two performances this year absolutely obliterate Marshall's first two performances last year by comparison.

I didn't say he was going to be a great or even good QB. And while his game management is awful (and likely what keeps him as the backup), if you don't think that kid has arm talent, you're crazy.

Then Auburn should have no trouble stopping it...Though I find it hilarious that you think our offense "looks comical" and we have a terrible QB situation - yet we put up 600+ yards today in 3.5 quarters. We didn't punt...the entire game. You can say we had a great performance against a crappy defense, but 'comical' implies inept. Teams that don't punt don't look comical.

Not the arm talent that he was hyped up to have.

Ha ok.

If you laugh at that you're a homer. He was hyped to have the strongest and most dynamic arm in the conference and has yet to show it. Blake Sims is head and shoulders better than Coker and it has shown on the field.

So are those preseason articles dubbing Coker in the Top 5 QB's in the SEC looking smart now?

If you laugh at that you're a homer. He was hyped to have the strongest and most dynamic arm in the conference and has yet to show it. Blake Sims is head and shoulders better than Coker and it has shown on the field.

The guy has two quarters worth of play total at Alabama. He's not had to lead an offense other than mop up duty...ever. He's probably a ball of nerves trying to win the job and had some hiccups. But geez he back footed a 60 yard throw today.

He overthrew a couple of WRs screens. Hit a couple of nice throws down the field, especially that one where he got crushed in the pocket that he stayed in until the play developed.

His problem wasn't throwing (for the most part) or moving the ball down the field. His problem was managing the team in the red zone and making the appropriate checks at the line - which is EXACTLY what was being said about him coming out of camp.

If he is so great, why didn't Saban recruit him when he was in bamas backyard? Oh, he didn't have enough stars for the greatest recruiter of all time to offer a scholly. I'm pretty sure he had that same arm in high school

Ha ok.

So are those preseason articles dubbing Coker in the Top 5 QB's in the SEC looking smart now?

Blake Sims has been at UAT longer than Coker has. He has a better chemistry with his teammates and a better understanding of the offense. Coker had a pretty decent game and he has shown he can run if he needs to. I don't think Sims has good arm strength but his ability to scramble makes up for it. I'm pretty sure Coker starts in 2015 after a year under his belt.

Talk about how great your offense looked today and all I have to say is Nebraska did whatever they wanted to against fau last week. The same Nebraska that almost lost to mcneese state at home

Talk about how great your offense looked today and all I have to say is Nebraska did whatever they wanted to against fau last week. The same Nebraska that almost lost to mcneese state at home

Yep and Abdullah didn't play in the second half against Florida Atlantic high school last week!

Neither uat qb would crack the THREE deep at Auburn. Live with THAT bg...

Neither uat qb would crack the THREE deep at Auburn. Live with THAT bg...

Lets be realistic here...we have serveral players that wouldnt crack alabama's 3-deep. Mainly our LBs

Nothing on this thread about lbs. uat much? Obvious ...

Coker didn't look good. Anyone with eyes knows that.

But, that doesn't mean bama won't win some games with either him or Blake Sims. Lots of other athletes.

Oh they will win 8-9 games regardless of who plays qb.

By that point I take it you expect him to turn out like Newton.

It's coming, any week now he'll breakout.

I wonder why bg wants coker to beat-out sims so bad? Any ideas? Just what could it be? Possibly the same reason the 85% cheered so much for coker and not the same for sims?

Guest WarEagleSteve

The fact that this so-called "competition" is still on-going is comical to me. Sims was the clear leader coming out of camp and has clearly set himself apart in the first two games. I think at most places that would be enough to cement one's position as the starter. I think the fact that Sims has not been declared the no-questions starter has more to do with Saban's ego than anything else. He brought Coker in to be the next in line (I think primarily because Sims' particular playing style, skill-set, and specific limitations are very much a square peg to Saban's round-hole football philosophy) and the fact that Coker is failing to seize the job must rankle him to some degree, so he's giving Coker an extended period to win the job.

Sims has played well but has also displayed some notable tendencies and limitations that very much conflict with Saban's preferred brand of offense. Sims has been efficient and has displayed very good athleticism but he has also demonstrated a certain reticence to push the ball vertically and hasn't displayed overly impressive arm strength when he has chosen to do so. Additionally, he seems to be most comfortable when the offense begins to go to more 3 and 4 WR sets and begins pushing pace, something Saban has been notably uncomfortable doing. Also, Sims seems to display (particularly in the WVU game) the classical attributes of a QB who converted from another skill position. He lacks appreciable patience and awareness in the pocket when pressured and looks to run sooner rather than later. I don't think this tendency will gel with Saban's offensive particularities long-term.

Coker is still in the game because he represents Saban's ideal QB (on paper at least). It will be interesting to see how this situation plays out long term.

By that point I take it you expect him to turn out like Newton.

It's coming, any week now he'll breakout.

I wonder why bg wants coker to beat-out sims so bad? Any ideas? Just what could it be? Possibly the same reason the 85% cheered so much for coker and not the same for sims?

Wow, now I'm a racist? Because I pull for a different football team and attended a different university...I'm a racist. Awesome.

Beyond the fact that you clearly haven't read anything I've said this entire thread. I guess that's where we are now. We care SO MUCH about the football teams that we pull for, that we'd be more than happy to perpetuate a negative southern stereotype to tear down our rivals. In the end, you know it hurts us all as southerners, and makes us all look dumber for doing so - but it's TOOOOOOOTALLY worth it cause 'bammer sucks tee hee hee'

This rivalry has made us assume the worst about our friends, relatives, neighbors, and fellow Alabamians becasue...we'll you know they pull for another football team - so they must be: dumb, racist, evil, hateful, whatever. It's football, dude, get a life.

(For the record, I've stated multiple times on this board that Sims will ultimately be the starter, and haven't once campaigned for him to beat out Sims - though you don't care about that do you.)

This rivalry used to be fun...

Archived