Coker

AU64

I don't understand why teams/coaches feel the need to name starters. Is there a rule that says they have to release their depth chart and publically name their starters prior to gametime?

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To dovetail off that, the spring game could've been a display of Bama's defense being that good rather than Sims being that bad. Maybe Saban is waiting to see how they perform against other defenses before he makes his choice. Just playing Devil/Saban's advocate.

I think that's part of it too - however, I do think we've seen enough from Sims in the past to know that he does also have some weaknesses regardless of how much he's improved.

I don't understand why teams/coaches feel the need to name starters. Is there a rule that says they have to release their depth chart and publically name their starters prior to gametime?

I think it's to throw some red meat to the fans. And a good faith thing for the reporters. Though the SEC may have a rule, because Saban absolutely hates depth chart discussion.

I simply asserted that last year's Iron Bowl wasn't an ass whooping. You tend to feel otherwise.

Okay, we'll take this nice and slow so you can follow.

1) I started our (yours and mine) exchange when I followed this:

Though I find it incredibly funny that you guys act like you beat our asses in, given how the game ended. Two yards on a kick away from losing, at home, and somehow you just ooooowwwwned us. Seems odd.

.....with this:

2)

Did your team give up a few rushing yards shy of 300 to any other teams? I didn't think so.

Your response was:

3)

What does that have to do with anything? We outgained you by 100 yards. We had the lead with 37 seconds left, and were two yards away from beating you. How in the world is that some sort of ass whooping? I swear, some fans create their own realities ignoring any sense of logic.

Begrudgingly, you admitted that bama did not give up anywhere close to almost 300 yards rushing to any other team aka we just ooooowwwwned you . I think at the time of the IB, bama's D was averaging giving up a little over 100 yards a game on the ground. I'm not going to address any of your other "talking points" because that would be falling prey to your attempts at debate, but I will simplify the progression of our direct exchanges for you in a few questions.

1) How often does bama's defense give up nearly 300 yards rushing under Saban?

2) Even though we passed for less than 100, and ran the ball like we did against everyone at the end of the season, why wasn't the #1 statistical defense able to control our run game since we were obviously one dimensional?

3) How is giving up almost 3x your season average in the last game of the year on the ground, where yardage is considered physically harder to come by than through the air, not being dominated at the line of scrimmage?

4) Has it not been bama's mantra to physically impose their with a salty D and an overpowering run game?

5) Did Auburn flip the script there?

The factual answers are 1) Never 2) Because they were being dominated 3) It WAS being dominated 4) It is and will be for the foreseable future 5) yes we did (bama's O went 5/15 (33.3%) on 3rd/4th down).

No mention of total yardage, time of possession, moment of lead changes, etc etc etc by me. Put that in your debate pipe and smoke it.

I'm not going to address any of your other "talking points"

How convenient. Kinda like when you got to just discount 20% of our yards while making a yardage argument. And how you got to ignore the actual score on the scoreboard when making a scoreboard argument.

This is growing tired. I really still don't understand your point. But do me a favor, show me where on the scoreboard and clock you see how Auburn just owned Alabama. I seriously am confused as to how you expect me to admit this was anything other than a great, close, slugfest.

picture.gif

Racism aside. Last year's game aside. The 1970s aside. Everything that has been randomly talked about by both sides aside.

I don't think Alabama will compete at the level they're used to this year. Losing so much to graduation and the NFL would hurt any team. I understand that the talent behind those guys is good but, that good talent isn't experienced. In a conference like the SEC experience is huge.

On the subject of Coker and Sims:

Until proven otherwise, neither of these guys are playmakers, IMO. Coker hasn't been about to win a starting position for either team yet, and Sims hasn't won one in 4 years. Both could prove me wrong but I would need to see it on the field.

Alabama fans should be worried about their defense. Alabama's defense has been it's game changer. In close games, they lean on that unit and it usually works out. However, the weakness of their defense the last few years has been the secondary. Now they lose a good portion of it and will have a relatively inexperienced front 7 to boot, that worries quite a few Alabama fans I know.

Like I said, I could be proven wrong. I will need to see it on the field before those opinions change.

Alabama fans should be worried about their defense. Alabama's defense has been it's game changer. In close games, they lean on that unit and it usually works out. However, the weakness of their defense the last few years has been the secondary. Now they lose a good portion of it and will have a relatively inexperienced front 7 to boot, that worries quite a few Alabama fans I know.

While I can agree with you on the QB stuff, I think this one misses the mark. Our defense will be top 3 in the nation. Our DLine and pass rush will be much improved over last year (which was non-existent). And our secondary is actually going to be really good. Cyrus, Eddie Jackson, and Sylve all played a ton last year. They're all back, and they're all ahead of our incoming 5 star DBs who actually had really good camps. Landon Collins is an All American type at safety. Yes we lost Vinnie and HaHa, but Vinnie was gone midway through the season with the ACL.

Like Auburn's running game, until we're proven to not be great on defense, I'm going to assume we're great on defense.

How convenient. Kinda like when you got to just discount 20% of our yards while making a yardage argument. And how you got to ignore the actual score on the scoreboard when making a scoreboard argument.

This is growing tired. I really still don't understand your point. But do me a favor, show me where on the scoreboard and clock you see how Auburn just owned Alabama. I seriously am confused as to how you expect me to admit this was anything other than a great, close, slugfest.

picture.gif

Beege thanks again for all these iron bowl pics. Do you have one of the Mctat boy scampering off the field like a rat w/o shaking hands? That would be the icing on the cake.

The IB was worse than 52-0. We ripped bama's heart out on national tv. The nation loved it, only you turd fans didn't. Lol.

Now go ahead and be a petty little semantic nerd and try to dissect what i said and twist it around. Your true colors are showing on this thread. You were on your best behavior, now your all comfy and letting your hair down. That's a good thing though :) .

Don't read what I wrote, just continue on your diatribe about yardage and when we took the lead. It'll make giving up 300 yards on the ground seem like an average day for the tahd. :nopityA:

IN PLAIN ENGLISH: I didn't bring up total yards or lead changes, I asked how many other teams bama gave up 300 yards running to? :crickets:

picture.gif

The look on his face says, "Man, coach doesn't even want to give me a chance to win it in OT! I feel bad for Blake if he thinks he can carry my torch."

BWAHAHHAHAHAHAHA.

Don't read what I wrote, just continue on your diatribe about yardage and when we took the lead. It'll make giving up 300 yards on the ground seem like an average day for the tahd. :nopityA:

IN PLAIN ENGLISH: I didn't bring up total yards or lead changes, I asked how many other teams bama gave up 300 yards running to? :crickets:

Auburn was the #1 rushing team in the nation last year. They averaged 328 yards per game and 6.3 yards per carry. Why would you not expect an SEC champion and near national champion to also do well against Alabama?

Against Alabama, Auburn was held

- 10% below their average in rushing (it was 296 yards not 300)

- 10% below their average in ypc

- 29% below their average for offensive scoring

- 44% below their average for offensive passing

Do you really want a cookie for 'almost' doing as well as you did basically every game in rushing and doing much worse in scoring and passing?

How many other teams does Alabama give up 300 yards to? Not many. How many #1 rushing teams in the nation did Alabama play last year? 1. Shouldn't you expect your team to hit their averages in a big time game? You got 296 yards rushing but you had to run it a billion times to get there - all while having your passing game suffer in the process. And it almost didn't work - for all those rushing yards, at one point, you had 270 rushing yards and only 21 points...and were losing with a few seconds to go.

So again, I ask, how is this anything short of two goliaths trading punches and one coming out with a close victory?

I'm done with this exchange. Maybe we can get back to discussing the actual topic.

For the record, here's Bama's numbers:

- 10% above their average yards total

- 12% above their average passing yards

- 6% above their average rushing yards

- 9% above their average YPC

- 26% below their average scoring

All these numbers (both teams) are what you might expect from a 1 vs 2 type big time game.

Auburn was the #1 rushing team in the nation last year. They averaged 328 yards per game and 6.3 yards per carry. Why would you not expect an SEC champion and near national champion to also do well against Alabama?

Do you really want a cookie for 'almost' doing as well as you did basically every game in rushing and doing much worse in scoring and passing?

How many other teams does Alabama give up 300 yards to? Not many. How many #1 rushing teams in the nation did Alabama play last year? 1. Shouldn't you expect your team to hit their averages in a big time game? You got 296 yards rushing but you had to run it a billion times to get there - all while having your passing game suffer in the process. And it almost didn't work - for all those rushing yards, at one point, you had 270 rushing yards and only 21 points...and were losing with a few seconds to go.

So again, I ask, how is this anything short of two goliaths trading punches and one coming out with a close victory?

I'm done with this exchange. Maybe we can get back to discussing the actual topic.

All these numbers (both teams) are what you might expect from a 1 vs 2 type big time game.

Unfortunately, I'm on your side of the argument here, if you could even call it that. WE :cool:

Back on topic, I did hear Finebaum speaking about Coker briefly this afternoon. He mentioned that the players have really rallied around Sims, and that Coker has had a hard time mastering the playbook. Not mastering the playbook at this point is understandable, especially in comparison to Sims, but I did find it interesting that the players are rallying around Sims. Clearly Sims has earned the respect of his teammates, but the impression that I got about Coker was that he is a little slow. FWIW

Back on topic, I did hear Finebaum speaking about Coker briefly this afternoon. He mentioned that the players have really rallied around Sims, and that Coker has had a hard time mastering the playbook. Not mastering the playbook at this point is understandable, especially in comparison to Sims, but I did find it interesting that the players are rallying around Sims. Clearly Sims has earned the respect of his teammates, but the impression that I got about Coker was that he is a little slow. FWIW

Well, usually I'd immediately dismiss anything football related from Finebaum, because he knows dick about sports. But he is connected. I've heard the same, but I'm not surprised. The team would naturally rally around a guy who's been nothing short of a model teammate for 4 years. This guy worked his ass off, kept his mouth shut, and was just a great teammate. I'd want him to be the guy too.

I also think people are doing a lot of supposing based on what they're hearing from pressers and practice reports. Because practices and scrimmages are locked down. So we really don't know much.

Against Auburn, Alabama's defense gave up:

-64% more yards than their average yards allowed

-58% higher YPC than their average allowed

-59% more points than their average PPG allowed

-46% FEWER passing yards than their season average! Alright

-Oh... on 41% fewer attempts

What do ya know, it's true. You really can make statistics say anything you want them to.

Well, usually I'd immediately dismiss anything football related from Finebaum, because he knows dick about sports. But he is connected. I've heard the same, but I'm not surprised. The team would naturally rally around a guy who's been nothing short of a model teammate for 4 years. This guy worked his ass off, kept his mouth shut, and was just a great teammate. I'd want him to be the guy too.

I also think people are doing a lot of supposing based on what they're hearing from pressers and practice reports. Because practices and scrimmages are locked down. So we really don't know much.

No doubt. I always crack up when they have "College Football Analyst" under Finebaum's name on ESPN.

At this point, we are all grasping at straws when it comes to anything related to the qb race, I just can't help but think that all the hype surrounding Coker comes directly from what Jimbo Fisher said about him. In all fairness to the kid, why would JF say anything but great things about him? The truth is, no one knows anything about him other than the coaches. Personally, I'd love to see Sims do well and start every game. I could be wrong in thinking this, but he reminds me of Kodi Burns when he was at Auburn.

Because there are so many talking heads who have to have something to talk and write about who will ask them 1000 times.

I love this from Larry Fedora:

@dijana_kunovac

Larry Fedora on why he won't reveal his starting QB: "because it bothers everybody and that just gives me pleasure."

But Bama was supposed to have the nation's #1 defense that would stifle our running game. Those averages include several lesser teams, so those numbers sound about right -- actually pretty impressive if you believed some of the Bama hype leading up to the game.

These are the only numbers that matter, only you managed to massage one of them to make it look worse. Auburn was held 13% below our average total scoring, and unless some scores count more than others, the only numbers that matter are 34-28 (and 4 missed FGs).

Glad that ALL now see bg for what it-he- she really is. A very typical uater. What took so long?

But Bama was supposed to have the nation's #1 defense that would stifle our running game. Those averages include several lesser teams, so those numbers sound about right -- actually pretty impressive if you believed some of the Bama hype leading up to the game.

Georgia Southern rushed for 302 yards on Alabama's defense in 2011. Teams that run the ball 70% or more in their offense usually are going to have a lot of rushing yards no matter who they face.

I actually thought Auburn needed at least 200+ rush yards to have a chance to beat Alabama last year. I was right. BG was actually right too.

Here's mine and BG's rushing yards predictions before the Iron Bowl last year:

http://www.aufamily.com/forums/topic/135087-interesting-stat-line/page__st__18

Apparently, BG knew what he was talking about.

But Bama was supposed to have the nation's #1 defense that would stifle our running game. Those averages include several lesser teams, so those numbers soun8d about right -- actually pretty impressive if you believed some of the Bama hype leading up to the game.

Georgia Southern rushed for 302 yards on Alabama's defense in 2011. Teams that run the ball 70% or more in their offense usually are going to have a lot of rushing yards no matter who they face.

I actually thought Auburn needed at least 200+ rush yards to have a chance to beat Alabama last year. I was right. BG was actually right too.

Here's mine and BG's rushing yards predictions before the Iron Bowl last year:

http://www.aufamily.com/forums/topic/135087-interesting-stat-line/page__st__18

Apparently, BG knew what he was talking about.

Well fall on your knees and worship beege if you must. It's not exactly rocket science. Anyone who thought we would pass our way to victory was an idiot. It's not like our defense was a juggernaut, although they were respectable. Using GA So as an example is weak sauce. They probably spent beyond minimal time on them as an off week opponent between SEC games and they ran an offense they rarely see. Did I mention bama was not even remotely up for that game?

I'll bet OL beege was banking on a win and never saw us slashing them like we did. I know my other bammer friends who keep up with the games were shocked. One friend told me, "we usually tighten up in the middle.when other spread teams cross the 50. You guys just kept running it at us."

So, love you some beege, pardon me for not annointing him as a ghuru.

Archived