Coker

AU64

By that point I take it you expect him to turn out like Newton.

It's coming, any week now he'll breakout.

I wonder why bg wants coker to beat-out sims so bad? Any ideas? Just what could it be? Possibly the same reason the 85% cheered so much for coker and not the same for sims?

Easily the dumbest thing I've ever read on this site.

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder why bg wants coker to beat-out sims so bad? Any ideas? Just what could it be? Possibly the same reason the 85% cheered so much for coker and not the same for sims?

Wow, now I'm a racist? Because I pull for a different football team and attended a different university...I'm a racist. Awesome.

Beyond the fact that you clearly haven't read anything I've said this entire thread. I guess that's where we are now. We care SO MUCH about the football teams that we pull for, that we'd be more than happy to perpetuate a negative southern stereotype to tear down our rivals. In the end, you know it hurts us all as southerners, and makes us all look dumber for doing so - but it's TOOOOOOOTALLY worth it cause 'bammer sucks tee hee hee'

This rivalry has made us assume the worst about our friends, relatives, neighbors, and fellow Alabamians becasue...we'll you know they pull for another football team - so they must be: dumb, racist, evil, hateful, whatever. It's football, dude, get a life.

(For the record, I've stated multiple times on this board that Sims will ultimately be the starter, and haven't once campaigned for him to beat out Sims - though you don't care about that do you.)

This rivalry used to be fun...

I wouldn't blame you a bit for leaving and never coming back!

Why go there?

Wow, now I'm a racist? Because I pull for a different football team and attended a different university...I'm a racist. Awesome.

Beyond the fact that you clearly haven't read anything I've said this entire thread. I guess that's where we are now. We care SO MUCH about the football teams that we pull for, that we'd be more than happy to perpetuate a negative southern stereotype to tear down our rivals. In the end, you know it hurts us all as southerners, and makes us all look dumber for doing so - but it's TOOOOOOOTALLY worth it cause 'bammer sucks tee hee hee'

This rivalry has made us assume the worst about our friends, relatives, neighbors, and fellow Alabamians becasue...we'll you know they pull for another football team - so they must be: dumb, racist, evil, hateful, whatever. It's football, dude, get a life.

(For the record, I've stated multiple times on this board that Sims will ultimately be the starter, and haven't once campaigned for him to beat out Sims - though you don't care about that do you.)

:thumbsup:

I really am glad crap like what you're responding to hasn't pushed you away.

Though I think the commenter you were reacting to was wrong to offer that up without something prior that would lead everyone to think that...

This rivalry stopped being fun when Alabama fans started winning again and got obnoxious enough to think its okay to destroy an opposing teams traditions because they lost a game. Thats when I stopped liking the rivalry. Its a bad taste that still swirls around in my mouth. My girlfriend is a mild football fan and is primarily a bama fan and I struggle to not sound hostile when I speak of Bama.

This rivalry stopped being fun when Alabama fans started winning again and got obnoxious enough to think its okay to destroy an opposing teams traditions because they lost a game. Thats when I stopped liking the rivalry. Its a bad taste that still swirls around in my mouth. My girlfriend is a mild football fan and is primarily a bama fan and I struggle to not sound hostile when I speak of Bama.

See I just don't get that. Because it's not like Alabama fans were cheering the guy on. He's probably the most hated "Bama fan" you'll find among other Bama fans. Sure there were a few rednecks that thought what he did was great, but unless on is trying to confirm their bias, they'll see that those are in the vast minority.

I

See I just don't get that. Because it's not like Alabama fans were cheering the guy on. He's probably the most hated "Bama fan" you'll find among other Bama fans. Sure there were a few rednecks that thought what he did was great, but unless on is trying to confirm their bias, they'll see that those are in the vast minority.

Vast minority that I had to defriend on facebook during that because they thought it was funny? I had to cut 7 friends off my facebook. It was a minority but not a vast minority. I often heard fans who thought there were no Auburn fans around make jokes about it. The man who perpatrated the crime was still going to football games until the school stepped in. Then he was still smuggled in to see the Bama/LSU National champ game. He had a huge number of fans posing for pictures with him.

I wish it was a vast minority.

First off, BS on Updike being generally hated by the Alabama fanbase. Hated by the 15%? Maybe. But generally? BS. This is the fanbase that mobbed the guy for his autograph the first time he appeared in public.

Also, it's impossible to pretend like Bama fans aren't the ones that aggressively escalated every major rivalry in the last few years? Updike, the sexual assault on Bourbon Street, the crane operator in College Station, that crazy woman that assaulted the OU fans, etc. That doesn't even get into the guy who initiated the investigations against Manziel and posted the video of Kristi Malzahn (same guy if I remember correctly). Nothing is off limits for Bama's fanbase. If you're complaining about too much venom in your rivalries, you should look at your own fanbase first.

bamrfan has a sense of entitlement that seems to remove certain social constraints from their behaviour. Call it arrogance, call it conceit, whatever. But it is there.

What is particularly amusing is the bamrfan who adorns himself in bamr regalia in football season and can quote you chapter and verse on the statistics of the '74 bamr vs Vandy football game but doesn't know squat about the current basketball or baseball team.

First off, BS on Updike being generally hated by the Alabama fanbase. Hated by the 15%? Maybe. But generally? BS. This is the fanbase that mobbed the guy for his autograph the first time he appeared in public.

Also, it's impossible to pretend like Bama fans aren't the ones that aggressively escalated every major rivalry in the last few years? Updike, the sexual assault on Bourbon Street, the crane operator in College Station, that crazy woman that assaulted the OU fans, etc. That doesn't even get into the guy who initiated the investigations against Manziel and posted the video of Kristi Malzahn (same guy if I remember correctly). Nothing is off limits for Bama's fanbase. If you're complaining about too much venom in your rivalries, you should look at your own fanbase first.

Sigh. I expected more from you. For the record, I never said Alabama fans didn't have a part in this rivalry turning bitter.

You don't get it? That's because you're not on the receiving end of the bullying, bashing, assaulting, obnoxious attitudes and actions of your fan base. Does every fan base have a few bad apples? Yes. But the bama fan base takes it to the EXTREME!!

You say a minority? I say wrong! I live in north Alabama and I must experience some sort of comment nearly everyday. The poking fun amongst friends is fine but to be ugly and mean to a point of bullying is not. My 9 year old son is the only Auburn fan in his class. Every year he is bullied over his love of Auburn. Yet, we've taught him to take the high road and let it go. I finally drew the line after the natty when a week later my son said he was still being teased. I asked what was being said and he said they are calling him a loser because Auburn lost. Mama Bear wanted to come out of me and call the teacher but he wanted to be a man and handle it himself. I gave him the go ahead to say something back and he still did it with class. The point I'm making with this example is that the bullying bama attitude starts young. Ya'll are teaching the hate in this rivalry. I know a mom who told her son he couldn't be friends with another boy because his family were Auburn fans. She didn't know I was an Auburn fan and I them told her, "That's the difference between Auburn fans and Alabama fans... Auburn fans teach their kids to love Auburn. Alabama fans teach their kids to hate Auburn."

I can go on and on with so many more examples of being on the receiving end of insults and poor behavior but there is not enough time in my day.

BG, I respect you and I enjoy some of your comments on here (not all, lol) but I believe you are off base and have no idea just how ugly your fan base can be. Like I said before, I know we have some bad apples, all teams do but bama is the worst. I grew up in a central Florida. I was the only Auburn fan in my school and I used to think gator fans were the worst but since moving to north Alabama, clearly I was mistaken.

You don't get it? That's because you're not on the receiving end of the bullying, bashing, assaulting, obnoxious attitudes and actions of your fan base. Does every fan base have a few bad apples? Yes. But the bama fan base takes it to the EXTREME!!

You say a minority? I say wrong! I live in north Alabama and I must experience some sort of comment nearly everyday. The poking fun amongst friends is fine but to be ugly and mean to a point of bullying is not. My 9 year old son is the only Auburn fan in his class. Every year he is bullied over his love of Auburn. Yet, we've taught him to take the high road and let it go. I finally drew the line after the natty when a week later my son said he was still being teased. I asked what was being said and he said they are calling him a loser because Auburn lost. Mama Bear wanted to come out of me and call the teacher but he wanted to be a man and handle it himself. I gave him the go ahead to say something back and he still did it with class. The point I'm making with this example is that the bullying bama attitude starts young. Ya'll are teaching the hate in this rivalry. I know a mom who told her son he couldn't be friends with another boy because his family were Auburn fans. She didn't know I was an Auburn fan and I them told her, "That's the difference between Auburn fans and Alabama fans... Auburn fans teach their kids to love Auburn. Alabama fans teach their kids to hate Auburn."

I can go on and on with so many more examples of being on the receiving end of insults and poor behavior but there is not enough time in my day.

BG, I respect you and I enjoy some of your comments on here (not all, lol) but I believe you are off base and have no idea just how ugly your fan base can be. Like I said before, I know we have some bad apples, all teams do but bama is the worst. I grew up in a central Florida. I was the only Auburn fan in my school and I used to think gator fans were the worst but since moving to north Alabama, clearly I was mistaken.

What other fanbase would have one shoot another member of their own fanbase simply because they didn't believe the other person took the rivalry seriously enough? What other fanbase would have members fighting each other in the stands during the IB?

but I believe you are off base and have no idea just how ugly your fan base can be.

And I'm guessing you think your fanbase is all roses.

Fans have a tendency to live in an echo chamber. And they minimize the bad apples in their own while maximizing those of their rivals. There's a reason I won't go to Auburn for the Iron Bowl anymore - but would visit for a different game. And it's not from an isolated experience. It's from many many bad experiences from bad Auburn fans. Does that mean the MAJORITY of Auburn fans are bad apples? Absolutely not. That'd be dumb to think that. Because if it were the case, it'd be impossible to have a game there.

If there are 200,000 fans in town on gameday, even 5% bad apples would mean there are 10,000 a**holes walking around campus causing trouble, 7 times a year. Which means the odds are pretty high that you're going to have a bad experience at some point on a college campus or in the state where those fans live. If 85% of the probably 5 million Bama fans were bad apples, then you'd have thousands of Harvey Updyke type scenarios, not one.

My original point of my comment was that this rivalry brings the worst out of both of our fanbases, and it didn't used to be that way. College football fandom as a whole is beginning to mirror society at large, and where it's headed ain't pretty.

I refuse to admit that Alabama fans are solely responsible for this rivalry turning so bitter.

^^ According to bg, bama and it's fan base is the most sinless football organization of all time, lol. Regardless of any argument that you come on this board and dispute, bama is NEVER at fault for anything that's obvious to anyone else. Your self righteous attitude is ridiculous! But u have it honest because the whole fan base are bred that way. You won't get NO sympathy from most of us, although u may have some that will take up for you when you put your foot in your mouth. At the end of the day, what do you expect on a rivals message board? We won't bow-down like all bammers want, and that's what frustrates u!

According to bg, bama and it's fan base is the most sinless football organization of all time, lol.

That's not what he said at all.

But BG, it's fine to say every group has its bad apples, but your fanbase has horrible PR at least once a season. Not the "aw this guy just made an ass of himself" kind of thing, you have a guy poison the oaks or cock up a drunk fan or start a brawl in the stands. Those are just the last few years. If Auburn is the same as Alabama, where are the nationally reported stories of Auburn fans with similar conduct? Much like there is a distinction between the 15% and the majority of the Bama fanbase, there is a distinction between Bama and other similarly situated schools.

Fans have a tendency to live in an echo chamber. And they minimize the bad apples in their own while maximizing those of their rivals. There's a reason I won't go to Auburn for the Iron Bowl anymore - but would visit for a different game. And it's not from an isolated experience.

My original point of my comment was that this rivalry brings the worst out of both of our fanbases, and it didn't used to be that way. College football fandom as a whole is beginning to mirror society at large, and where it's headed ain't pretty.

I refuse to admit that Alabama fans are solely responsible for this rivalry turning so bitter.

Plenty of truth there. I agree that it brings out the worst of both fanbases, and I would certainly not say Alabama fans are solely responsible for it turning so bitter.

But BG, it's fine to say every group has its bad apples, but your fanbase has horrible PR at least once a season. Not the "aw this guy just made an ass of himself" kind of thing, you have a guy poison the oaks or cock up a drunk fan or start a brawl in the stands. Those are just the last few years. If Auburn is the same as Alabama, where are the nationally reported stories of Auburn fans with similar conduct? Much like there is a distinction between the 15% and the majority of the Bama fanbase, there is a distinction between Bama and other similarly situated schools.

Ok, using your 15% (which you know is total BS), that means there are around 4 million bad apples vs 700k good apples. Do you HONESTLY think that one story per year is a reasonable number to reflect 4 million people? Really?

You're more cerebral than your bias is allowing you to be right now.

I'm not even suggesting that Auburn fans are as bad as Bama fans. As a percentage, I do believe Alabama fans have more bad apples. And given that we have more fans than Auburn does, it's going to make for an even more noticeable difference. But to act like it's the mean ol bammers who have sole responsibility in the current state of our rivalry is lazy and biased.

Oh I certainly think it's a case of both teams having success at the same time. That changes everything. The stakes are higher, which increases emotional investment. I was making a more passing observation that Bama fans (bad apples or perfect representatives... that's up for debate) are poisoning the well in almost all of their major rivalries.

In the Iron Bowl, it's a zero sum game. I don't recall a time when the rivalry was "fun". I really don't. Also, I think Bama's running up the score in Auburn's down years has lead to some hurt feelings. I don't worry about running it up, but that's unquestionably what Saban has done when he's played bad Auburn teams (when he plays good Auburn teams, he loses). After losing 6 in a row, they ran it up in 2008. After dropping the Camback, they ran it up in 2011 and 2012. No question. Whether they admit it or not, I bet that lead to some extra hate in the veins for a bunch of fans.

Fans have a tendency to live in an echo chamber. And they minimize the bad apples in their own while maximizing those of their rivals. There's a reason I won't go to Auburn for the Iron Bowl anymore - but would visit for a different game. And it's not from an isolated experience.

Plenty of truth there. I agree that it brings out the worst of both fanbases, and I would certainly not say Alabama fans are solely responsible for it turning so bitter.

Well, mcgufcm didn't really say anything that wasn't factual, in terms of what has transpired (and actually left out the whole Son of a Preacher Man/Take the Money and Run thing- which is a pretty big deal that gets glossed over a lot- and your coach's daughter tweeting that she wanted to punch Cam Newton in the face, and the violence that erupted in the Birmingham area after the most recent IB, and some other things probably). Meanwhile, you can't really point to many similar incidences stemming from the Auburn side. Cam's jersey on Bryant's statue? Cool. Neither permanent nor dangerous.

15% is probably a low number, and I have lots of awesome bammer friends, but you can't really argue that bama fans aren't responsible for a lot more of "those kinds of things" than Auburn fans are. As far as the general crap you encounter on a daily basis for being a fan of one or the other in the state of Alabama, I'll reluctantly call it a draw to keep the conversation moving.

Side note: It's interesting how much things have deteriorated since you hired saban. Seriously. All of the incidents listed have occurred on his watch. I wonder how surprised we should be that when the face of your program very publicly treats those around him like crap, that the attitude might trickle down to those not bright enough to not let it. And, 85% or not, a lot of folks fitting that description claim bama.

Edit: Missed this...

I'm not even suggesting that Auburn fans are as bad as Bama fans. As a percentage, I do believe Alabama fans have more bad apples. And given that we have more fans than Auburn does, it's going to make for an even more noticeable difference. But to act like it's the mean ol bammers who have sole responsibility in the current state of our rivalry is lazy and biased.

And speaking of the Camback, what other school in the nation is going to publicly mock a player on a visiting team as bamr did prior to the 2010 Iron bowl. Only bamr. Even the school itself has no sense of propriety.

Ok, using your 15% (which you know is total BS), that means there are around 4 million bad apples vs 700k good apples. Do you HONESTLY think that one story per year is a reasonable number to reflect 4 million people? Really?

You're more cerebral than your bias is allowing you to be right now.

We don't shoot and kill our own! Unlike your genocidal fan base

I don't worry about running it up, but that's unquestionably what Saban has done when he's played bad Auburn teams (when he plays good Auburn teams, he loses)

I don't know how you could come to that conclusion. 2012 Iron Bowl it was 42-0 at the half. We scored one more time in the 3rd and sat on it the entire 4th quarter and half the 3rd. Blake Sims was in the game during the 3rd quarter. We threw 3 passes in the 2nd half, none after the 9 minute mark of the 3rd quarter. We could have scored 100 that game.

In the previous year, the 42-14 game, we threw exactly 1 pass from the 9 min mark of the 3rd quarter on.

What Arkansas did to Nicholls St is running it up. What Spurrier used to do at Florida is running it up.

Archived