Coker

AU64

I do seem to remember Julio Jones and Marquis Maze not being awfully shabby - especially since Maze was also the kick returner. But yes, you are correct - the WR corps at bama this year is probably one of the best in the last 10 years. Cooper gives me a headache just thinking about him.

Until Cooper proves it in the NFL, I'll say Julio was a better college WR. But I'll give our overall 14 corps a big edge over 08. And if pressed, I'd probably take a junior Cooper over a frosh Julio. But I'm still not certain.

Now, none of this matters if we can't get the ball to any of them, but in terms of pure talent I think we're as loaded at WR as we've been in school history.

Why does Cooper's future NFL career have anything to do with either's college career?

Yup, pretty illogical statement. He has to wait to see how cooper does in the pros before he decides who the better college receiver was. Completely illogical.

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FACTS are always wasted on a uater. Shwing !!

Why does Cooper's future NFL career have anything to do with either's college career?

Because both are beasts in college. Julio has already proven himself on the next level, as well as in college. Some folks bloom late and don't have the college career that they end up having in the NFL. But since Julio was an instant success in college and in the NFL, I'm going to wait before saying now that Cooper is better than Julio was in college. (Only because neither clearly separates themselves based on college production alone).

Saban says both QBs struggled but Sims played faster...WTF? I thought Coker was the next best thing since sliced bread.

He has practiced in his new offense for two whole weeks. I too am shocked that he's not mastered a completely new offense and fit with completely new teammates in just a few practices...

FACT. AU has better WRs. Next?

Just like Darvin Adams was better than Julio? I'd be willing to bet you said something like that...blind homerism impedes constructive discussion.

If you take issue with WarTim's phrasing, that's fine. But I certainly hope you're not dismissing the possibility that Auburn's WR corps could be better than bama's in 2014?

Saban says both QBs struggled but Sims played faster...WTF? I thought Coker was the next best thing since sliced bread.

He has practiced in his new offense for two whole weeks. I too am shocked that he's not mastered a completely new offense and fit with completely new teammates in just a few practices...

Wait, I thought he had already won the heisman? Something doesn't add up here...

If you take issue with WarTim's phrasing, that's fine. But I certainly hope you're not dismissing the possibility that Auburn's WR corps could be better than bama's in 2014?

Anyone's WR corps could be better than ours in 2014. But an educated guess before the season starts wouldn't yield that conclusion. Preseason polls, though largely not having that much merit, are showing Bama #1 or close to it almost everywhere:

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/84077/sec-position-rankings-wide-receivers

http://athlonsports.com/college-football/college-footballs-top-25-wide-receiving-corps-2013

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1528570-power-ranking-the-25-best-wr-corps-in-college-football/page/26

Alabama has arguably the best WR in college football (assuming he stays healthy), and unless someone comes out of nowhere will be one of the very first WRs drafted. We redshirted a 5 star last year who was #1 in his class - and he's still barely in our 2 deep. We are absolutely loaded.

There are plenty of other position groups to pick nits with on Alabama's team. But WarTim has a history of just saying Auburn is better at Alabama at anything where I suggest they may not be. I also believe he told me more than once how Darvin Adams was better than Julio and was going to make a better pro.

Had someone else, who doesn't have a history of just homering (it's a word) me to death suggested it, maybe it would merit more discussion.

Anyone's WR corps could be better than ours in 2014. But an educated guess before the season starts wouldn't yield that conclusion. Preseason polls, though largely not having that much merit, are showing Bama #1 or close to it almost everywhere:

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/84077/sec-position-rankings-wide-receivers

http://athlonsports.com/college-football/college-footballs-top-25-wide-receiving-corps-2013

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1528570-power-ranking-the-25-best-wr-corps-in-college-football/page/26

Alabama has arguably the best WR in college football (assuming he stays healthy), and unless someone comes out of nowhere will be one of the very first WRs drafted. We redshirted a 5 star last year who was #1 in his class - and he's still barely in our 2 deep. We are absolutely loaded.

There are plenty of other position groups to pick nits with on Alabama's team. But WarTim has a history of just saying Auburn is better at Alabama at anything where I suggest they may not be. I also believe he told me more than once how Darvin Adams was better than Julio and was going to make a better pro.

Had someone else, who doesn't have a history of just homering (it's a word) me to death suggested it, maybe it would merit more discussion.

I think the Achilles of the ua receiving corps may be the abilities of the quarterback, whoever it may be. Plus, ua will probably lean heavily on Henry and yield on the first third of the season or so. Based on pure talent without taking into account the abilities of the quarterback to get him the ball, Cooper is probably the best wr in the conference. However, we have yet to see the Duke in big time college football. From the practice reports, Duke could possibly challenge cooper as well as Sammie. At this point though, it's all conjecture.

Me too!!!!

I think the Achilles of the ua receiving corps may be the abilities of the quarterback, whoever it may be. Plus, ua will probably lean heavily on Henry and yield on the first third of the season or so. Based on pure talent without taking into account the abilities of the quarterback to get him the ball, Cooper is probably the best wr in the conference. However, we have yet to see the Duke in big time college football. From the practice reports, Duke could possibly challenge cooper as well as Sammie. At this point though, it's all conjecture.

From a statistical standpoint, you're right. I don't think, in our system, we're going to have just gobs and gobs of stats. We're not gonna have a 5,000 yard year like ever. Combine that with the questions at QB, and it's not going to be something you can look at on paper. But I also think that the 2014 corps is better equipped to help a QB than our 2008 corps could.

We are absolutely loaded.

No question about that.

Fair enough. And it would seem that pursuant responses have indeed merited more discussion :thumbsup:

From a statistical standpoint, you're right. I don't think, in our system, we're going to have just gobs and gobs of stats. We're not gonna have a 5,000 yard year like ever. Combine that with the questions at QB, and it's not going to be something you can look at on paper. But I also think that the 2014 corps is better equipped to help a QB than our 2008 corps could.

Yeah, I think we were strictly talking about WR talent, not the system. Either way, the same could be said about Auburn WRs practically since 2006. So we Auburn fans certainly can't argue that, at this point, Auburn has a more WR-friendly offense than bama. Maybe that changes this season, but it will have to change a LOT.

At the end of the day, both teams are loaded at WR. Going by recruiting analysis, bama clearly is more so. And the next couple NFL drafts might bear that out. But I suppose we all agree that a lot will affect how the two units are perceived at the end of the season.

Yeah, I think we were strictly talking about WR talent, not the system. Either way, the same could be said about Auburn WRs practically since 2006. So we Auburn fans certainly can't argue that, at this point, Auburn has a more WR-friendly offense than bama. Maybe that changes this season, but it will have to change a LOT.

At the end of the day, both teams are loaded at WR. Going by recruiting analysis, bama clearly is more so. And the next couple NFL drafts might bear that out. But I suppose we all agree that a lot will affect how the two units are perceived at the end of the season.

And really all of this started because I disagreed with the assertion that 2008 Bama WR corps was a position group of experience and ability whereas 2014 is not. And I just don't think that's accurate.

The whole "team X has better _____ (position group) than team Y" debate is tough anyway. Because systems vary so significantly, it's really hard to pin down in an apples vs apples scenario.

We are absolutely loaded.

No question about that.

Fair enough. And it would seem that pursuant responses have indeed merited more discussion :thumbsup:/>

Bama players usually flop once they get in the league. Take roddy white away from the falcons and see how good mr all world Julio can be. Bama players are always overhyped and it won't never change. I don't care for bama players but I would take cooper before brick for hands Julio

And really all of this started because I disagreed with the assertion that 2008 Bama WR corps was a position group of experience and ability whereas 2014 is not. And I just don't think that's accurate.

Yeah, no disagreement there.

The whole "team X has better _____ (position group) than team Y" debate is tough anyway. Because systems vary so significantly, it's really hard to pin down in an apples vs apples scenario.

Or there.

Take roddy white away from the falcons and see how good mr all world Julio can be. Bama players are always overhyped and it won't never change. I don't care for bama players but I would take cooper before brick for hands Julio

Dude... come on. Cooper might end up being better than Julio, but that would only mean that he's very, very, very good.

Yo, bg........Pre-season "rankings" mean nothing. uat was ranked ahead of AU pre-season last year. How did that work out for you? :bananadance::nopityA:

Only uat Heisman winner......How is he doing? Setting records in the NFL? ... Bwahahahahaha

"BEST"uat qb in history......Which NFL team s he starting for (or 2nd string for that matter?)........... :nopityA::bananadance: :bananadance:

Because both are beasts in college. Julio has already proven himself on the next level, as well as in college. Some folks bloom late and don't have the college career that they end up having in the NFL. But since Julio was an instant success in college and in the NFL, I'm going to wait before saying now that Cooper is better than Julio was in college. (Only because neither clearly separates themselves based on college production alone).

Still completely illogical. You're waiting to see how cooper does in the pros to decide who was better in college? Seriously, I think your trying to make a point different than the one your words are forming. Perhaps you're waiting to see how cooper does in the pros to see who was the best overall receiver, entire careers considered? Otherwise, it's ridiculous.

Only uat Heisman winner......How is he doing? Setting records in the NFL? ... Bwahahahahaha

Ingram isn't a flop, he's a starter. He's in a pass first system, and finished the season with a 5.1 YPC average in spite of being incredibly mismanaged. He's being praised by his coaching staff coming out of camp this year.

"BEST"uat qb in history......Which NFL team s he starting for (or 2nd string for that matter?)..........

First of all, a bust isn't defined by performing commensurate where you were drafted. Nobody looks at, say, a 6th round pick who didn't make it in the NFL and call them a bust. They look at the 1st round guy who is washed out after his 2nd season and call him a bust. Second of all, the guy is recovering from a shoulder injury and it is the first fall camp of his first season. How is that a bust?

Your best bet would have been to mention Trent Richardson. But when you suggested that most Bama players bust in the NFL, you immediately lost the argument. If you'd like, we can discuss the myriad starters Bama currently has in the NFL, but I don't think you want an honest debate. You never do.

Poor bg. Having an argument with herself. I NEVER said "most uat players bust in the NFL"............ :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance:

"Bama players usually flop once they get in the league. Take roddy white away from the falcons and see how good mr all world Julio can be. Bama players are always overhyped and it won't never change. I don't care for bama players but I would take cooper before brick for hands Julio"

This really might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen you say... Brick for hands Julio? The Atlanta Falcons as a whole were absolute trash last year and their WR corps were no exception. Julio battled with a foot injury, but when he did play he was by far Ryan's most reliable target. Don't take Julio's skills away just because you hate Bama players.

Yeah, no disagreement there.

Or there.

Take roddy white away from the falcons and see how good mr all world Julio can be. Bama players are always overhyped and it won't never change. I don't care for bama players but I would take cooper before brick for hands Julio

Dude... come on. Cooper might end up being better than Julio, but that would only mean that he's very, very, very good.

So ur saying Julio is in megatrons class of wr? If u believe that then ur smoking something, and it's not marihuana!

Archived