Coker

AU64

The split decision was in 08 not 09. In 08 Kodi told the players to get behind Todd and he proceeded to move to WR.

No, that was before the 09 season. http://blog.al.com/auburnbeat/2009/08/gene_chizik_and_kodi_burns_tal.html

Yes, I meant 09 for the Kodi change. My bad.

I said 09 before the season.

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just happened to drop by College Football Live on ESPNU and lord almighty, what a bammer lovefest. Danny Kannell actually said Coker would come out on top as the front runner at bama. Rece Davis asked who would be the standout QB this year in the SEC and mentioned Marshall as the front runner. Danny Kannell (sp) responded he would never go with a RB as a QB and that Coker could be the best in the SEC. Said Marshall couldn't pass. I can't wait to see what happens on that account. Kannell is a FSU homey and knows absolutely nothing about what is going on in the SEC or doesn't care to. What an idiot, and I am being nice. I listened as long as I could then had to change the channel. I just hope the SEC Network doesn't turn into a bammer lovefest as ESPN has. We shall see.

What's funny is he may not like "Running backs as Quarterbacks" yet the guy he thinks is gonna do so well (Coker) is reportedly being outperformed by Sims who was a running back at Alabama for his first few seasons. If Coker can't beat a guy out who has been there 5 years and never sniffed reasonable playing time, they're gonna have issues on offense.

I'm gonna say Sims gets first snaps under center and then if he has troubles Coker comes in.

troubles he will have. this could get ugly.

When you think of long string of QB's we've run through the last few years, it feels weird to know that we are returning the same guy for another year.

The streak continues, though! He isn't going to be the game 1 starter!

Not even close... It's only removed as STARTER. None of us knows how long that means. It could be a HALF, A quarter, a series or even ONE snap. It's been made clear Marshall will play vs. Arkansas. you are making a MASSIVE REACH with this comparison. They aren't even remotely close to the same situation. Auburn is returning the same player/starter at QB for another year just like the original post said.

Saban hinted in a news conference that Sims is the locker room favorite but Coker is making new friends also. Saban is well aware of the dangers in picking Coker over Sims if the battle for the starting QB spot is close. I hope he picks Coker.

Oh, hush, it was obviously in jest. :poke:

On second thought, maybe not so obviously, but the point stands it was in jest. I've never put much stock in our "returning QB" issues - we've seem to not really have had a problem outside of 2012. We've either welcomed in a Senior, a JC QB that has worked out for us, or someone that's pretty capable that has either met or exceeded reasonable (i.e. rational) expectations for their talent level. Continuity is nice, but it's never been something that has been worth more than a momentary eye roll from the coach, IMO.

Saban hinted in a news conference that Sims is the locker room favorite but Coker is making new friends also. Saban is well aware of the dangers in picking Coker over Sims if the battle is for the starting QB spot is close. I hope he picks Coker.

I don't think it matters. This has all the makings of a VERY toxic locker room.. At some point after assembling all that 4 and 5 star talent egos will begin to show through. Throw that in with a 5th year senior who is likely watching his dream erode in order for the Second Coming of AJ to hop in and steal "his" job, and I find a complete implosion to be a very real possibility.

I agree 100%. The munchkin and lame have CREATED this mess and it will bite them in the backside. Could not happen to a better bunch of folks......

The fact Saban refused to release the QB stats from a scrimmage a few days ago should tell you all you need to know about the QB situation. Sims has been there too long for this to be a QB controversy if he was a legit SEC QB. Coker is simply a wildcard and has been nothing more than a second teamer up to this point. All those #1 recruiting classes and no QB....

The fact Saban refused to release the QB stats from a scrimmage a few days ago should tell you all you need to know about the QB situation. Sims has been there too long for this to be a QB controversy if he was a legit SEC QB. Coker is simply a wildcard and has been nothing more than a second teamer up to this point. All those #1 recruiting classes and no QB....

Well, it's sorta a "system" thing, and most of the really exceptionally gifted (in terms of excitement ability, think Cam, Manziel, Mariota) want to be the main man. It's sort of a dueling narratives thing, I think. Every kid likes to be a winner, but every kid also wants to be on the cover of SI, a Heisman runaway, and a 1st overall pick.

Saban hinted in a news conference that Sims is the locker room favorite but Coker is making new friends also. Saban is well aware of the dangers in picking Coker over Sims if the battle is for the starting QB spot is close. I hope he picks Coker.

I don't think it matters. This has all the makings of a VERY toxic locker room.. At some point after assembling all that 4 and 5 star talent egos will begin to show through. Throw that in with a 5th year senior who is likely watching his dream erode in order for the Second Coming of AJ to hop in and steal "his" job, and I find a complete implosion to be a very real possibility.

A toxic locker room is nothing new to the bammers since nickapolean arrived. It's just toxic about different issues and different players from year to year.A pit of vipers is a nicer environment....

All those #1 recruiting classes and no QB....

To me, this says it all.

Every QB taken by the tyhd over the last 10 years has supposedly been the best QB in America yet they find themselves in the situation they are in. Honestly, as they say, truth is stranger than fiction.

Correct. And, like most situations in west vance, there is a ton of fiction and not an ounce of truth to be found... :-\

I agree...

The majority of team leadership comes from the seniors. Who do you think the seniors are siding with? Dude who just showed up a few months ago or the guy they've known for 4 or 5 years? The divided locker room could prove to be a critical vulnerability to Alabama this year.

To me, this says it all.

Every QB taken by the tyhd over the last 10 years has supposedly been the best QB in America yet they find themselves in the situation they are in. Honestly, as they say, truth is stranger than fiction.

So what to make of a QB who has back to back title rings, a 3000 yard passing season and 30 TDs (3 INTs)...in a run first offense?

BTW, QBs out of high school are the most unreliable rankings of any position. Everyone thinks their guy is great but nobody knows for sure. Here's a few top ranked QBs from recent years:

2011 -

#1 - Christian Lemay UGA

#2 - Max Wittek USC

#3 - Jacoby Brissett UF

#4 - Cody Kessler USC

#5 - Everett Golson ND

(Bama's from this class 18th)

2012-

Gunner Kiel, Zach Kline, Tanner Mangum, Connor Brewer, Chad Voytik (Bama's from this class was 26th)

2013 -

Max Browne, Christian Hackenburg, Shane Morris, Cooper Bateman, Kevin Olsen

Look at a top 25 in any given year of QB recruits and it's basically a top list of college busts.

To me, this says it all.

No QB, but they sure can recruit a good place kicker.

To me, this says it all.

That's because Tiffins reproduce by spores. I swear, there's been one kicking for Bama for the past 100 years.

To me, this says it all.

That's because Tiffins reproduce by spores. I swear, there's been one kicking for Bama for the past 100 years.

I'm glad there wasn't one kicking for them last year. :)

To me, this says it all.

I'm glad there wasn't one kicking for them last year. :)

I was being sarcastic, sorry I didn't make it more obvious, my bad. :)

Their place kicking was terrible, like I hope their QB play is this season.

I was being sarcastic, sorry I didn't make it more obvious, my bad. :)

Their place kicking was terrible, like I hope their QB play is this season.

I chuckled. I thought it was too bad they didn't get it because it was a decent joke. ;)

To me, this says it all.

I'm glad there wasn't one kicking for them last year. :)/>

And look at the missed FGs!

No, seriously, go watch that last one. I do once a week. :)

Archived