The challenge ahead

StatTiger

I think the defense will be the story this year, one way or the other. If Ellis does what he has done elsewhere, we'll play for the BCS championship.

Defense. The #1 improvement in this season needs to be defense. Which includes ole Ellis' coaching. This board has come up with some real whoppers as to why our D was "just fine" last season but the facts (er, stats) show our D was horrific in some key areas...again...last year. My favorite was "just look at the win/loss record, that proves our defense is just fine". Giving up "big" plays (defined by stattiger) is just one important area that was again abysmal. The "cupboard's bare" excuse for ole Ellis worshippers pretty well ran out last season and he has plenty to work with this year. Our O will be more than just fine. Time for Ellis to put up or circulate resumes. Or retire. Ted Roof could use a line coach.

Seems you aren't a fan of Ellis Johnson. What he did with our defense in ONE year was very good. Sure we gave up some big plays and by Auburn standards way too many, but to think Johnson can't coach or teach defense is just ridiculous. He's one of the best defensive coordinators ever in college football. Remember what he inherited when he got here was the worse defense ever in Auburn history. Also, look at Johnsons track record of his defensive improvements as he stays in one place. If his resume consistency holds true, the defense will be light years better than it was last year. It would be foolish to replace Ellis Johnson at any time other than when he retires.

Living up to the BILLBOARD FAST is the bigger challenge... certainly way more than CEJ. !!!

Last year it was real quick to the line a pose, plot, and plan if you will; however except for strategic phases (InMHO - it seemed ) the ball was never snapped as fast as advertised. Really hope to see if perhaps an even faster HUNH will prove more challenge to those on the other side of the ball, than it is for a 2nd year team to run it.

Defense. The #1 improvement in this season needs to be defense. Which includes ole Ellis' coaching. This board has come up with some real whoppers as to why our D was "just fine" last season but the facts (er, stats) show our D was horrific in some key areas...again...last year. My favorite was "just look at the win/loss record, that proves our defense is just fine". Giving up "big" plays (defined by stattiger) is just one important area that was again abysmal. The "cupboard's bare" excuse for ole Ellis worshippers pretty well ran out last season and he has plenty to work with this year. Our O will be more than just fine. Time for Ellis to put up or circulate resumes. Or retire. Ted Roof could use a line coach.

Seems you aren't a fan of Ellis Johnson. What he did with our defense in ONE year was very good. Sure we gave up some big plays and by Auburn standards way too many, but to think Johnson can't coach or teach defense is just ridiculous. He's one of the best defensive coordinators ever in college football. Remember what he inherited when he got here was the worse defense ever in Auburn history. Also, look at Johnsons track record of his defensive improvements as he stays in one place. If his resume consistency holds true, the defense will be light years better than it was last year. It would be foolish to replace Ellis Johnson at any time other than when he retires.

I'm expecting much improvement! I'm also a CEJ fan.

I'm expecting much improvement! I'm also a CEJ fan.

I'm neutral on CEJ but thought overall he did a good job. I hated to see the lost leads late in the year but in most cases, players were where they were supposed to be but did not make the plays. In previous seasons it seemed to me that the players were too often, not where they needed to be....so IMO at least, last year's defense was better and after another year with CEJ and his staff, I think the technical factors will improve.

BUT...if the team wins, IMO the defense is "good enough" and once again I will point out that in modern college football, the offenses have all the rules going their way. Auburn played and defeated 5 of the top QBs in the SEC last season and contained the Heisman award winner...and I do recall that in the FSU game, it was a special teams breakdown that made the difference. Beat 'em 40-30 and I'm satisfied.

Injuries or the lack of injuries is usually the key. If we can avoid injuries to the most key players, i.e, Marshall, Dismukes, Coates, both starting LB's, etc., we may have a chance. The new kickers must also prove to be as good as advertised. I think we may have the quality depth at OL, DL, RB, receivers, and in the secondary to be one of, if not the, top team in the conference. I also believe the SEC champ is a lock for the playoff even with one or possibly even two losses.

I also agree, special teams that had been solid all season cost us the FSU game. The missed chip shot field goal, the coverage breakdown on the fake punt, and the kickoff return for the TD when most of the kickoffs all year were out the back of the end zone were the keys to the loss. Those mistakes cost us when the game plans and the execution on both sides of the ball were outstanding. We should have won that game by 14 points.

Auburn has the first 5 of the 8 for sure. very lucky last year on the injury subject, these tigers are already more banged up than last year. Johnson did fill in nicely when marshall went down. that's talent and depth. I say bring on a tough schedule and throw the miracles out the window and pray for no injuries. Au can go as far as the defense can take them. no need for luck.

I don't find the schedule that daunting,SEC very weak this year :

The Big Games : (order might not be right)

1. Kansas State- Solid offense and Tyler Lockett will kill us, but the offense is too good for them (Project Auburn by 10)

2. LSU- New QB, New RB, 2 New WR, young d-line...depht issues with early nfl enteries( Project Auburn by 16)

3. Miss St- This will be the first war this team scares me. Esp Prescott and Lewis,nearly entire team back ( Project Auburn by 2)

4.South Carolina- They got Thompson,Davis,Roland but no defense and a average o line in my opinion,Shaw legs made them look better ( Project Auburn by 17)

5. Ole Miss- Test number two both Miss teams will be very good Wallace,Tredwell,Nkimdeche Bros,Prewitt ( Project Auburn by 5)

6.Texas A &M- The cellar team in the West wo Manziel and Evans magic ( Project Auburn by 31)

7.Georgia- will be shootout great offense...but depht on d very thin, esp secondary. ( Project Auburn by 9)

8.Alabama-. Their o-line not great with new qb. They will run alot. Defensive front loaded but not expierenced, they thin in the back 7,esp secondary. Will be toughest game because of Saban's mind ( Project Auburn by 3)

SEC Championship vs Florida...they dont have the horses to keep up ( Auburn by 20)

1st Round

Auburn vs Oklahoma- too much offense,tempo,scheme kill them ( Auburn by 24)

Nat'l Title

Auburn vs Alabama( they beat FSU, Coker gets revenge) - ( Auburn by 10) - I think field astroturf, if so trouble for Bama

Injuries dont scare me except at H-Back and TE...but Denson would prob go to H-Back if Fulse went down and Ray if Uzomah went down at same time Fulse was out.

Archived