How Lane Kiffen will be as Bama OC

AUbritt

I had an "opportunity" today to listen to to Saban talk on ESPN Radio, and he said that he hired Kiffin because USC almost beat them when he was the OC. Lane Kiffin, despite his immaturity (we'll see how that's improved - I hope none, I love people putting feet in their mouths), is a great recruiter and a pretty good judge of talent. Character...eehhhhh...but talent, yes, he's a good evaluator of talent.

To me, though, the fact that he's a good recruiter is tempered by where he is recruiting now. Doesn't take a lot of convincing to make a kid put Bama in their top 5.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i dont think Kiffin is there to run his own offense. like said above he will run what Saban tells him. I think he's there for one reason and one reason only. Recruiting the west coast.

I think that he got to speak once. He said something about "the trio of RBs at Alabama are better than any trio of RBs on any NFL roster".

Given his brilliant 5-15 record with the Raiders, I'm not sure he's qualified to evaluate anything in the NFL... :-[:-\

To be fair, however, Raiders have stunk up the joint before and after Kiffi.

Kiffin had 2 good seasons as OC under Pete Carroll just like all the others did. He has been not so great everywhere since( fired 2x). He can recruit, he's young, hot wife.... that's about it. Good luck bammer.

Kiffin had 2 good seasons as OC under Pete Carroll just like all the others did. He has been not so great everywhere since( fired 2x). He can recruit, he's young, hot wife.... that's about it. Good luck bammer.

Some coaches (like Ellis Johnson) are just better off as assistants like him. He did good at So Cal because they were loaded with talent. UAT is also still loaded with great players. IMO CNS brought him in to bring some changes and new looks to his offense. I wouldn't underestimate him...we'll see though.

Some coaches (like Ellis Johnson) are just better off as assistants like him. He did good at So Cal because they were loaded with talent. UAT is also still loaded with great players. IMO CNS brought him in to bring some changes and new looks to his offense. I wouldn't underestimate him...we'll see though.

He may surprise me but I've seen nothing from him that warrants the reputation he has as an offensive coach. He shared the OC title with Sarkisian and Sark was the one calling the plays. NS usually does his homework on things but I think what TAMU and AU have done to his defenses may have rattled him.

He may surprise me but I've seen nothing from him that warrants the reputation he has as an offensive coach. He shared the OC title with Sarkisian and Sark was the one calling the plays. NS usually does his homework on things but I think what TAMU and AU have done to his defenses may have rattled him.

They were probably rattled a good but last year but I doubt that affects UAT this year. I'm sure they will be ready for AU.

May they be as ready for AU as they were for Oklahoma....especially since the Sugar Bowl was "just a consolation prize." Isn't it "just a consolation prize" IF YOU WIN?

:wareagle:

They were probably rattled a good but last year but I doubt that affects UAT this year. I'm sure they will be ready for AU.

I am sure they will. My only point was that maybe that caused Nicky to maybe panic a little and not do his due diligence on getting a new OC. I could be dead wrong but that is what it appears like to me.

I am sure they will. My only point was that maybe that caused Nicky to maybe panic a little and not do his due diligence on getting a new OC. I could be dead wrong but that is what it appears like to me.

I would be a lot easier to dismiss such an idea if one could come up with with an obvious reason why he did hire him. ;D;)

Assuming Kiffen does bring some out-of-the-box expertise, maybe he was hired to help the defense with strategies against an offense no one on the current staff seems to be able to solve.

It's funny to read the Bama forums though. They are still insisting our success has been based on gimmickry and shear luck. They are assuming the league, having seen it, will figure it out this year.

They also think the loss of two key players - Robinson and Mason - will cripple us. Somehow, I don't think the Bama coaching staff is as confient.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope for a melt down as much as any AU fan, but I fear he will actually help them this year. For all his faults, he improved UT's offense from 116th to 60th in his one year as hc (including beating Bama). His record as OC at SoCal is also impressive, and he deserves a good bit of the credit

I hope for a melt down as much as any AU fan, but I fear he will actually help them this year. For all his faults, he improved UT's offense from 116th to 60th in his one year as hc (including beating Bama). His record as OC at SoCal is also impressive, and he deserves a good bit of the credit

I dont believe he beat bama at UT

I dont believe he beat bama at UT

didn't. Blocked fg turds won.

Sark was the one responsible for play calling at USC. I am not looking for a meltdown but I don't think he is deserving of this reputation he has as a brilliant offensive mind.

Sark was the one responsible for play calling at USC. I am not looking for a meltdown but I don't think he is deserving of this reputation he has as a brilliant offensive mind.

Like I said earlier ITT, I don't know if he's a brilliant offensive mind. He's a heck of a recruiter and a good judge of talent, and he probably can scheme well during the week (maybe not on the fly during games, though).

I can't remember, didn't he call plays when he was at UT?

Like I said earlier ITT, I don't know if he's a brilliant offensive mind. He's a heck of a recruiter and a good judge of talent, and he probably can scheme well during the week (maybe not on the fly during games, though).

I don't know to be honest. UT did improve offensively during his one year. He has to receive some credit for that. His offense at USC while head coach didn't seem all that good. Was it him or effects of the sanctions limiting the talent level and forcing him to do something different? Probably a bit of both. Is saban actually going to alter what he has been doing or is this more window dressing? Guess we'll all find out soon enough Could be very interesting.

i think hr hired jim chaney from the nfl as oc. i assume he called plays.

I think it was on the Paul Finebaum Show or discussed amongst Finebaum and other ESPN analyst last year that Lane appeared to look at his clipboard frustrated the plays he had drawn up weren't working on the field. I don't remember if Kiffin admitted to this or just speculation of an observation.

Either way, I hope to see some of that on the Bama sidelines this year.

• 3 weeks later...

Lame kitten is a scape goat for the munchkin. Nothing more...

Yes, yes. You're on to it. After having years of ridiculous success, Saban went out and intentionally hired someone crappy, to intentionally make our offense suck, to intentionally have a scapegoat for a problem we intentionally created.

Yes, yes. You're on to it. After having years of ridiculous success, Saban went out and intentionally hired someone crappy, to intentionally make our offense suck, to intentionally have a scapegoat for a problem we intentionally created.

That part seems implausible.

Wow!! I obviously struck a nerve there didn't I?? THAT is what happens when a uater is confronted with TRUTH. ( This is fun!!!) The game is evolving. Adapt or perish...BTW bg. The munchkin is planning not reacting for what is soon to follow. Time will tell the tale.

Wow!! I obviously struck a nerve there didn't I?? THAT is what happens when a uater is confronted with TRUTH. ( This is fun!!!) The game is evolving. Adapt or perish...BTW bg. The munchkin is planning not reacting for what is soon to follow. Time will tell the tale.

You've been predicting Alabama's demise for 6 consecutive years. Still waiting for you to be right. It's starting to get sad really.

Archived